Should I apply or improve my portfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Izikiel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a fourth year undergraduate majoring in Cellular Biology and English with a minor in Philosophy. The latter two subjects aren't focused on anything in particular (i.g. Comparative Literature or Ethics). I will be graduating, in one more year - it's taking me five years - with a 3.2 gpa, and my current test scores are 38 MCAT and 167 LSAT. For those interested as to why I have an LSAT score, I am planning to enroll in a dual program, JD/MD. I've completed 280 hours of hospital internship, and another 300-400 hours of non-specific volunteer work.

I'm probably going to look for a doctor shadowing opportunity for the upcoming summer, and research if I can find it. My question is, should I apply for schools when I get to that point, or should I take time to improve my lackluster gpa? I've been thinking of obtaining a masters in public health, though I am also leaning towards a masters in 18th century british literature; I've even considered applying to the JET program for two years to teach English abroad. Any advice?

p.s. I am sorry for this wall of text.

p.p.s I will probably attach an addendum to explain why I received poor marks. I've been working full time since I entered university, and I've been taking an overloaded unit load each term. It probably dwindles down to poor time management and stretching myself too thin.

Thanks for putting up with my post.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently a fourth year undergraduate majoring in Cellular Biology and English with a minor in Philosophy. The latter two subjects aren't focused on anything in particular (i.g. Comparative Literature or Ethics). I will be graduating, in one more year - it's taking me five years - with a 3.2 gpa, and my current test scores are 38 MCAT and 167 LSAT. For those interested as to why I have an LSAT score, I am planning to enroll in a dual program, JD/MD. I've completed 280 hours of hospital internship, and another 300-400 hours of non-specific volunteer work.

I'm probably going to look for a doctor shadowing opportunity for the upcoming summer, and research if I can find it. My question is, should I apply for schools when I get to that point, or should I take time to improve my lackluster gpa? I've been thinking of obtaining a masters in public health, though I am also leaning towards a masters in 18th century british literature; I've even considered applying to the JET program for two years to teach English abroad. Any advice?

p.s. I am sorry for this wall of text.

p.p.s I will probably attach an addendum to explain why I received poor marks. I've been working full time since I entered university, and I've been taking an overloaded unit load each term. It probably dwindles down to poor time management and stretching myself too thin.

Thanks for putting up with my post.

I think your great MCAT and LSAT score make up for your GPA. You have a great shot at getting into a med school (even though it might not be your top choice). Do a masters only if you're interested in it, not because you think it'll help you get into med school. That's what post-bac programs are for.

I personally think you GPA will hurt your chances of med school at this point. 3.2 is pretty low. However its still possible, that MCAT is awesome. The only problem I see is that not every med school offers a MD/JD program. Those that do are higher teir and may not be as forgiving. So I think you may consider a couple options:

Are you set on only an MD degree? UMD-NJ SOM, a well established DO school offers a dual DO/JD program and I am willing to bet you are highly competitive to their program. DOs are practicing physicians just as MDs are, the curriculum is exactly the same for your four years except you do ~200 more hours of OMM, a physical technique of medicine. So that would be a great option for you to explore.

The other option other than just trying your luck at applying this go around is to do what you said and try bringing up the GPA through additional academics.

Do a masters only if you're interested in it, not because you think it'll help you get into med school. That's what post-bac programs are for.

Would it be okay for me to enter into a post-bac program when I would have completed a fair amount of upper/lower division science courses?

I've taken the following: GChem, OChem, BioChem, Phys I&II, Calc I&II, Ecology, Cellular Bio Interm&Adv, Molecular Bio Interm&Adv, Microbio, Virology, Oncology, Anatamy, and Physiology.

There aren't a great amount of science courses I can take now.

I have heard of DO/JD programs, and I have looked up UMD-NJ, but the problem is the residency that I would like to be matched with. There are very few, if any, HemOnc or Onc residencies available to DO's.