Should I apply out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATOR Girl

Jenny
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been reading over the forums for a while, and I finally registered. I guess I'll tell a little about myself. I was born and raised in G-ville, FL - guess you could call me an ACR:) I am a senior at UF, about to graduate this semester with a B.S. in Nutrition. I've been working at a pharmacy for over 2 years. My overall GPA is a 3.55. I applied to pharmacy at UF last year but I did not get in. The assistant dean told me that my PCAT scores were too low. I just took the PCAT again, and I feel a lot better this time. Does anyone think I should apply out of state this year? I really want to stay in Gainesville, but I don't think UF will accept me. Can anyone recommend a school out of state? Or are my chances of getting accepted out of state lower than at UF?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

GATOR Girl said:
Hello! I've been reading over the forums for a while, and I finally registered. I guess I'll tell a little about myself. I was born and raised in G-ville, FL - guess you could call me an ACR:) I am a senior at UF, about to graduate this semester with a B.S. in Nutrition. I've been working at a pharmacy for over 2 years. My overall GPA is a 3.55. I applied to pharmacy at UF last year but I did not get in. The assistant dean told me that my PCAT scores were too low. I just took the PCAT again, and I feel a lot better this time. Does anyone think I should apply out of state this year? I really want to stay in Gainesville, but I don't think UF will accept me. Can anyone recommend a school out of state? Or are my chances of getting accepted out of state lower than at UF?

Thanks!

If you are willing to move then apply to as many schools as you can afford to.

Thanks! The photo of your puppy is so cute!

Members don't see this ad :)
GATOR Girl said:

Thanks!

What was your UF prerequisite GPA? If that was good and your PCAT goes up, you still have a chance at UF.

Private schools don't care if you are out of state. Still, I'd apply both to Nova and Palm Beach Atlantic in South Florida if you want to stay in Florida. You need to decide how far you are willing to move, then check out all the private schools in those states.

dgroulx said:
What was your UF prerequisite GPA? If that was good and your PCAT goes up, you still have a chance at UF.

Private schools don't care if you are out of state. Still, I'd apply both to Nova and Palm Beach Atlantic in South Florida if you want to stay in Florida. You need to decide how far you are willing to move, then check out all the private schools in those states.

Last year my prerequisite GPA was only a 3.2. It should be a little higher this year since I finished a few more prerequisites, but not enough to really bump it up. What do you think? Do you think they will consider me at UF? I sure hope they do! I love the school so much! Any suggestions would be great!

GATOR Girl said:
Last year my prerequisite GPA was only a 3.2. It should be a little higher this year since I finished a few more prerequisites, but not enough to really bump it up. What do you think? Do you think they will consider me at UF? I sure hope they do! I love the school so much! Any suggestions would be great!

What is your PCAT score? If you don't mind my asking?

megrxgirl said:
If you are willing to move then apply to as many schools as you can afford to.

nice dog :)

GATOR Girl said:

Your GPA meets the minimum, so you just need a good PCAT score. If you can get past those requirements, then they will actually look at your application. I think the nutrition degree will really help, too.

Hey everybody! Thank you all for your replies. I feel a lot better now. I'm glad that UF does't look at old PCAT scores. My fist PCAT score was only a 35 perentile:oops: I think I did much better on the PCAT last weekend. I hope you all did well on the PCAT too!

Thanks again :)