Should I apply this cycle or next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellohelloduh

UCLA'12
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started my PT journey in the beginning of July when I decided that I wanted to go to PT school, so I got a job as a PT aide in an outpatient clinic. Since I decided on everything so late, I got a super late start on the application process - I have started my essays, but don't have much that's substantial; just took my GRE this morning; still have some pre-reqs to take; haven't amassed my recommendations yet. I do have all of my transcripts in.

Initially I was planning to apply next summer for admission in 2015 because I have such a late start, but now I'm considering applying to some schools this cycle just in case I have a chance to get in earlier. I won't be able to submit my application until pretty late - sometime in late September. (Which brings me to another question - if a school's deadline is October 1st, does that mean that I can submit my PTCAS app the day before, or do I need to apply several weeks in advance to get my materials in?)

Finally, I'm going to Spain tomorrow for 2 weeks on vacation so I won't be getting volunteer hours/etc during that time. I will be working on personal statements on the flight, however. (Trip was planned before I decided to apply to PT schools.)

Here are my stats:

Graduated from UCLA March 2012
Major: BS Biology
UCLA GPA: 3.47
Cum. GPA: ~3.53
Pre-req GPA: between a 3.5 and a 3.6
GRE: 165V/166Q/don't know AW yet
Hours: ~100 outpatient ortho so far, will have at least 100 more in the same setting by the time I apply. Am trying to find an SNF or hospital to get inpatient hours at, but won't have more than 40 by the time I apply, if even that many.
Other: Research in 3 different settings: cell biology full time internship 5 months (published), social behavior/evolutionary bio ~2 years undergrad, molecular bio 6 months undergrad. Involvement in student government with a leadership position for 2 years. Worked at an optometry office PT for 2 years in undergrad.
Applying: UCSF/SFSU (top choice), Chapman, Northridge, UIC, NYU, UNC, UF (at least that's what I'm thinking for now - I don't have a prof to get a LOR from so that's impeding me right now, but if I applied next summer I'd have one)

I feel like I have a pretty solid app so far but I don't know if by applying so late, I'll significantly hinder my chances, especially for UCSF/SFSU. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I'm in the UCSF/SFSU DPT class of 2016 now so maybe I can help answer some of your questions.

You don't mention how many pre-reqs you have remaining, but if it's only a few (2-4 to take for the fall and spring semesters) I'd say apply. I know that we had a few people finishing up classes during our first few weeks of class.

As long as you meet the PTCAS deadline, you should be fine, but call the admissions office to be sure. (415) 514-6774. Keep in mind that UCSF has a supplemental application with additional essays to complete.

Hope to see you at interview day! We've already started planning!!

Hi there! I'm in the UCSF/SFSU DPT class of 2016 now so maybe I can help answer some of your questions.

You don't mention how many pre-reqs you have remaining, but if it's only a few (2-4 to take for the fall and spring semesters) I'd say apply. I know that we had a few people finishing up classes during our first few weeks of class.

As long as you meet the PTCAS deadline, you should be fine, but call the admissions office to be sure. (415) 514-6774. Keep in mind that UCSF has a supplemental application with additional essays to complete.

Hope to see you at interview day! We've already started planning!!

Hey! Sorry for the late response. In Spain right now :) I have 2 pre-reqs left - abnormal psych and anatomy. I'm taking abnormal psych this fall (along with exercise phys) and anatomy in the spring.

Just got my AW score, which is why I decided to update now...5.5! Yay. Wanted to make sure I hit UCSF/SFSU's min of 4.5.

Looks like I'll be applying this cycle after all. Still going to be cutting it very close with personal statements, LORs, and inpatient hours...September is going to be a very busy month!