Should I apply this semester or the next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hooplah123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior. My major is Cell bio & Neuroscience and minor is psychology. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.6 and a science of 3.4. I have worked at a lab for 1.5 years. I have a leadership position in a a pre-med fraternity. I volunteered at RWJ for a couple months and shadowed an OR doctor for a month until my schedule got too hectic for me. I applied to a couple internship programs over summer and am taking my mcats for the second time in April.

Should I bother applying this semester or wait until next? I'm honestly freaking out :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really hard to tell because you don't really tell us much. And your MCAT is too low for MD and many DO schools. Your GPAs are okay although your sGPA is below average for MD. Are you thinking MD or DO or both? Do you have a list of schools your considering? Maybe you should post it.
If you don't apply in the cycle beginning in June2016( 2017 cycle) you have to wait until June 2017(2018 cycle). It's not done by semesters.

499, but I'm taking them again in April 1st and scoring around ~510 and NJ
If you score 508 or higher on the MCAT you would have a fair chance for MD schools. You would need to apply in June and complete all your secondaries by July. Apply to your NJ state schools and lower tier MD schools and include newer schools such as Seton Hall. I think you would be better off to apply after your senior year at which point hopefully your GPA will be higher. A MCAT greater than 500 along with a higher GPA would make you competitive for some DO schools.

It all depends on your MCAT retake, get back to us once you have a reasonable score - until then, do NOT apply.