Should I apply this year given my gpa/oat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applicant15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody

I just wrote the OAT today and came out with these scores:

QR: 300
RC: 330
Bio: 320
Gen Chem: 360
Org. Chem: 370
Physics: 290
Total Science: 340
Academic Average: 330

These scores are lower than what I was hoping for so I'm feeling really discouraged and worried for the strength of my optometry school applications. My GPA is not very good (approx. 3.1) and so I was hoping for a strong OAT score to offset that. Unfortunately I only had 3 weeks to prepare for the OAT due to other commitments (I took orgo and physics courses this summer) so I guess given that time constraint, my score is pretty good...but I'm just confused as to whether or not I should apply this year..or if I should take the test again 3 months later (Nov.) and apply then.

Besides my GPA and OAT score, I have a fairly strong set of extra curriculars (1 year of shadowing experience, hospital volunteering, volunteering at a camp for teens with disabilities, science department rep at school, etc.).

I would appreciate any recommendations/advice from you guys. Please help!!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you have even a small chance of getting in, I would always tell someone to apply. If you're going to get rejected, let them reject you. Don't reject yourself by not applying.

Yeah that's definitely true, but do you think it would be a better idea to retake the test, score higher and then apply with that score? Or do you think I should just go ahead with my current score? Are my OAT results strong enough that I can go ahead with the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, your OATs are strong enough. Compare your stats to the pdf file I included in this message. Your 3.1 GPA is not even that far off for matriculating students at some schools (see attachment). Your OAT is higher than the average at most schools. Follow the attachment and apply accordingly to your stats and you should do well this cycle. Good Luck.

Attachments

• Profile-of-the-Entering-Class-2013.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 74
I agree, I think you can still apply. And I know for some applications (on the supplements), there's a section that asks if you're planning to take the OAT again. That way, you can apply now with your stats now but they know you're going to take it again to do better.

You will be giving yourself an advantage by applying earlier rather than later. Your OAT is not bad at all, and even though your GPA may be on the low end, unless you are dead set on one of the most competitive schools, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I remember walking out of the test thinking I had blown my chances at getting in anywhere. That's only because I didn't know what the averages were. You can always call the admissions offices where you want to apply and ask their opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay perfect. Since I'm Canadian and I will be considered as an International Student for the US schools, how do you guys think the student loans will be? I know it's around 50k a year for tuition...so I'll have about $200k of debt following my graduation. That number's a bit discouraging for my parents and myself haha...how long would it take to pay that off...and is it really as scary as it sounds?

Thank you for all your help!

Just be sure to do some real math before you make your decision. Remember to factor in interest, and anything else you may need to take out loans for above the cost of tuition. 200k is a fairly common number these days, which is pretty scary. Think about ways you can minimize debt, and how you will pay it off after graduation. Search for posts about paying off loans, there are a few people who have provided specific numbers.

If you look at the statistics sheets, you can see which schools will be likely to take someone with your credentials. On paper, you actually look pretty good, and I know people who have gotten in with much lower scores. If you look at the statistics files, you can see that the newer schools and PCO are taking some people with lower GPAs and OAT scores. Of course, it's always important to ask yourself why those schools are not getting the highest applicants; essentially, it shows that those with the most choices are not choosing those schools. I personally would not recommend PCO (and you can message me if you would like a further breakdown for why I feel this way). Many others have described their issues with this school, and a simple key search should bring it up. As for the newer schools, I have actually been hearing about some pretty good things regarding some of them. Just make sure that you talk to current students at your prospective schools because that is where you'll get the real truth.

Edit: Also, please look at prices, as a poster above suggested. PCO's tuition rate is way, way higher than some other schools where the students seem to be happier. Be a smart consumer about this or you might end up in very unhappy.

Last edited: