Should i apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fanse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am a 4th year Junior and will graduate May '11. A few quick stats:
3.6 GPA at lower ranked school.
2 research papers (none are first author) 2 papers in review (So maybe 4 total before I apply but lets assume 2). I have done many research presentations. My ability to get department head and sub department head letters of recommendation are 100%. I have no volunteer experience and can get a shadowing position if needed. I feel if I took the MCAT in May, I would score about a 28-32. If i waited until next year, I am pretty sure i would score a 30-34. Do you think my scores are enough to land me in a school if I received a 28 mcat (lets just say 9/11/8 phys/bio/verb) I am in georgia (I am not looking at Emory). I understand my application would be stronger if i waited but i would rather not if its possible.
Thanks for any input.

edit: To elaborate my research experience which I think is probably my strong point, is my experience is over 1 year with probably 40+ hours a week if not more. (I am here right now, 8pm..Saturday!)

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to apply MD? You have zero volunteer or shadowing experience. How do you even know you want to be a physician? Why not PhD?

Why do you want to apply MD? You have zero volunteer or shadowing experience. How do you even know you want to be a physician? Why not PhD?

I agree with MiniMoo. You need clinical/volunteering experience and some shadowing if possible. Not having any type of volunteering experience will hurt you.
Also, since you haven't taken the MCAT, how do you know that you will score between a 28-32?

The med school app process is not a breezy process. You want to do it once when you are prepared and ready. I highly recommend getting involved with some volunteer/clinical activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone might get into Mercer or Morehouse with a cGPA of 3.6 and an MCAT score of 28, provided they have the expected community service, clinical experience, shadowing, and maybe some leadership or teaching. You already have the research. but you have a ways to go before your application is ready to submit. I'd encourage you to wait a year to make your application all that it can be, as several months of last-minute activities are unlikely to impress adcomms.

Wait a year. What's the rush? You can apply next year and take the year off. Don't waste one attempt at medical school just as a trial run. Keep in mind you really only get 2 tries at most medical schools. It seems like you could probably benefit immensely in the meantime. Just make sure you have plan on what you intend to accomplish or it all goes to waste.

Someone might get into Mercer or Morehouse with a cGPA of 3.6 and an MCAT score of 28, provided they have the expected community service, clinical experience, shadowing, and maybe some leadership or teaching. You already have the research. but you have a ways to go before your application is ready to submit. I'd encourage you to wait a year to make your application all that it can be, as several months of last-minute activities are unlikely to impress adcomms.

This sounds about right.

You need the required clinical experience.