Should I Apply This Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arazi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hello, I am from Texas and have been a good student all my life until the last couple years of high school. I am a Chem/Bio major. That lack of drive drifted into my first couple years in college as well when I found myself with a 2.3 GPA. I was partying and not paying attention to my school. I had a run in with the law (DWI) when I became very, very depressed and in a way it has been a blessing in disguise. I did get it dismissed but not expunged. After that point I have earned A's for the most part (have B's in Organic I, Physics I, and Anatomy). I have raised my GPA to a 3.4 (with which I would apply this year) and have a number of activities under my belt and a 29 on my MCAT. If I could retake it and have another month to study I feel confident of scoring over a 32. I will graduate with a 3.5, so should I apply this year or next year? What are my chances?
-TA for 1 year
-Member of 3 Organizations (Elected Officer in one) for 1 year
-Volunteer work with Organizations
-Member of 2 different Honors Organizations
-70+ Hours Shadowing
-Trilingual, halfway Quadrilingual
-Minority

Members don't see this ad.

apply this year and to ALL the Texas schools. IMO, why retake the MCAT when you already have a okay score--boosting it a couple points won't do squat... Sounds like your application is decent and you will get interviews...

I agree with eljefe, you look to be in good shape for this year's TMDSAS application cycle. The good thing about Texas is that it is extremely cheap to apply (compared to AMCAS) and there aren't even secondaries for UT Houston, UT San Antonio, UT Galveston or Texas Tech El Paso.

I bet you'll snag a few interviews. Make sure to include TCOM in Fort Worth when applying, and get the application in as early as possible, like next month. Good luck. . .

Thanks alot guys, appreciate the support!:)