Should I apply to a school in PR this year even though I do not plan on going there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s-m-t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I have the mcat and gpa to be accepted into schools of my hometown in Puerto Rico. However, there is a very small chance that I will actually accept the offer if I get accepted. I do want to apply since my FAP for this year was accepted and it will be for free. Should I do it in order to see how it goes or would it affect me for my next years application to the schools in the U.S.

Members don't see this ad.

Well it certainly won't help your future applications if you turn down an acceptance this year and reapply somewhere else next year. Not only will you possibly be taking an acceptance spot from someone who would attend that school, but you will most likely have to explain to other schools why you turned it down if/when they find out. You only should apply to a school if you are willing to attend that school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
So I have the mcat and gpa to be accepted into schools of my hometown in Puerto Rico. However, there is a very small chance that I will actually accept the offer if I get accepted. I do want to apply since my FAP for this year was accepted and it will be for free. Should I do it in order to see how it goes or would it affect me for my next years application to the schools in the U.S.

Is there nothing about this that strikes you as intrinsically wrong?

Reactions: 3 users
Why would you spend the time to apply if you aren't going to accept an offer? Don't be overly confident. Because you are from there, PR is your best chance. It is dangerous to assume you will absolutely be accepted somewhere else, especially if you turn down an acceptance in a previous cycle. If you have an acceptance to an MD school you should almost certainly be taking it.

Hi,
Why wouldn't you want to accept the offer (assuming you actually received one)? And if you really wouldn't accept it, why would you want to waste anyone's time (yours or theirs) filling out the application, attending the interview, etc.? Most of the people who serve on an adcom reading apps, interviewing candidates, and attending adcom meetings are volunteers. Even if you don't care about wasting your own time, please have a little respect for that of your future colleagues.

Reactions: 1 user