Should I apply to more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I finally decided on the DO path and I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas of what else I should add to my list given...

GPA 3.45c, 3.36s MCAT 27
-worked in an ER as a scribe for a year with several DOs willing to write me recs
-volunteered in Peru for 10 days, volunteered at hospitals
-worked as an RA in college

In formulating the current list I thought of family connections, proximity, and tried to avoid schools with an in state preference

PCOM (currently living in Philly)
CCOM (immediate family in Chicago)
NYCOM (family)
UMDNJ-SOM (proximity to current location)
AZCOM (family)
DMU (within driving distance of family and good reputation)
LECOM (seems less selective and not too far)

I am moving to Chicago this summer and think CCOM would be the most practical for me though I realize that my GPA is a little low. I guess if anything I could use another less selective schools as back up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to at least 15. Your stats aren't great and you're applying to some of the pickier schools.

Don't think LECOM is a shoe-in. They had over 10,000 applications last year.

Hi guys, I finally decided on the DO path and I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas of what else I should add to my list given...

GPA 3.45c, 3.36s MCAT 27
-worked in an ER as a scribe for a year with several DOs willing to write me recs

In formulating the current list I thought of family connections, proximity, and tried to avoid schools with an in state preference

NYCOM (family)
AZCOM (family)

I am moving to Chicago this summer and think CCOM would be the most practical for me though I realize that my GPA is a little low. I guess if anything I could use another less selective schools as back up. Any advice would be appreciated.

These are all reach/moderate chance schools IMHO. You need to include some less selective ones or risk not getting accepted anywhere. You don't have high enough stats to act like any of these schools are safety/shoo-in. This is not to say that your stats are bad by any means, merely average. gl

edit: i agree with motherboy above me. pick 15 schools

GPA 3.45c, 3.36s MCAT 27

NYCOM (family)
AZCOM (family)

Just curious... do you have family in every geographical region? :)

These are all reach/moderate chance schools IMHO. You need to include some less selective ones or risk not getting accepted anywhere. You don't have high enough stats to act like any of these schools are safety/shoo-in. This is not to say that your stats are bad by any means, merely average. gl

edit: i agree with motherboy above me. pick 15 schools

+1

Add in some other schools like KCUMB, VCOM, LMU-DCOM, etc. and some of the nice newer schools (e.g. MU-COM, etc.).

I don't know that I'd agree with 15 schools as a poster said before. My GPA is a point lower than yours while my MCAT was a point higher, and I applied to 8, ii at 5 (attended 4), and accepted at 4. Make sure you have a really awesome personal statement. If you haven't started it, get going on it now! Maybe get some additional shadowing in between now and June.

I do agree that I'd throw in a few newer schools that will be less selective. You'd rather spend a few extra bucks and apply to 10-12 schools and get in, than apply to only 7 and have to wait a year to re-apply next year. Good luck!

Just curious... do you have family in every geographical region? :)

Haha no, actually I have no family in the south and west coast though I do have a lot of areas covered!

And wow, I am probably going to pick closer to 10 than 15, but thanks guys. Glad to know!