should I apply with these MCAT scores? Do I have a chance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rfalrifa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I just got my mcat scores back, and oh my god, I don't know what to do. Please if you can give me an input on this, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
So here are my stats:
MCAT:502 (60th %) --- 125 chem/phys, 125 Bio/biochem, 125 CARS, 127 Psych/soc
GPA: 3.76
Experience:
-EMT-B-- been working in EMS for more than a year now, and have more than 2000 hours.
- ED scribe -- just started this job so I don't have many hours here
- Americorps volunteer - volunteered with them for a year where I worked with a resettlement agency for immigrants and refugees who just came to the US, I also was an interpreter/translator there.
- Organic Chemistry Research-- I did that for 3 years.
-Teacher assistant-- I TA'ed chemistry labs such as general and organic chemistry, did that for 2 years.
-tutoring-- tutored chemistry
-Community clinic volunteering -- around 60 hours.
-shadowing-- around 30 hrs for an internal medicine physician.

Should I apply for this cycle, and retake the mcat, do better and apply next year. The thing is I already took a gap year, and I dont know if I want to wait too long before applying.
I am also considering applying to DO schools.

Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally take the year off and retake your MCAT, get more shadowing, do something interesting. I don't know your total background (diversity, life story, etc) so that could be a factor.
State schools? If TX, may be okay. I'm not familiar with their match system, others will be.
Your app seems okay, nothing stands out. If your MCAT was stellar this would be the standout. Hence, do something interesting/able to be passionately talked about and get at least a 507+, imo. AmeriCorps exp will be interesting on secondaries, but I know buttloads of ppl who do these so Idk how unique it is to set you apart.
^^for MD
Goro will be helpful in terms of DO apps.

Reactions: 1 user
I would personally take the year off and retake your MCAT, get more shadowing, do something interesting. I don't know your total background (diversity, life story, etc) so that could be a factor.
State schools? If TX, may be okay. I'm not familiar with their match system, others will be.
Your app seems okay, nothing stands out. If your MCAT was stellar this would be the standout. Hence, do something interesting/able to be passionately talked about and get at least a 507+, imo. AmeriCorps exp will be interesting on secondaries, but I know buttloads of ppl who do these so Idk how unique it is to set you apart.
^^for MD
Goro will be helpful in terms of DO apps.

I come from Iraq, I lived through the war, so I think I have a little bit of the diversity element here. As for the shadowing, I was always told (by my per-health advisor specifically) that having hands on experience (such as doing EMS) is counted much heavily than just shadowing, is that wrong? But other than that, what you said makes total sense. Thank you so much for taking the time!

Members don't see this ad :)
I come from Iraq, I lived through the war, so I think I have a little bit of the diversity element here. As for the shadowing, I was always told (by my per-health advisor specifically) that having hands on experience (such as doing EMS) is counted much heavily than just shadowing, is that wrong? But other than that, what you said makes total sense. Thank you so much for taking the time!
Clinical Volunteering/Work cannot be substituted for shadowing. Being around a pt is great, but what does a MD/DO do? Shadowing them is more about the profession than the people. I would shadow some different specialties like GI, ortho, cards, EM, etc whatever you can get your hands on. 40-60 hours is a minimum around here, I'd say.
The EMS is a valuable opp to have.
So you'd be applying as an International?

Coming from Iraq is DEFINITELY your standout. That's going to set you apart from almost everyone, especially if you can talk about it in a captivating way, which no doubt you can. That 502 could definitely be troubling though..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Clinical Volunteering/Work cannot be substituted for shadowing. Being around a pt is great, but what does a MD/DO do? Shadowing them is more about the profession than the people. I would shadow some different specialties like GI, ortho, cards, EM, etc whatever you can get your hands on. 40-60 hours is a minimum around here, I'd say.
The EMS is a valuable opp to have.
So you'd be applying as an International?

Well that is why I'm starting this scribing job, I thought I would learn so much through it, and it could substitute for shadowing as well. I will def try to see if I could shadow physicians from other specialties other than emergency though.
And no I will be applying as an in-state resident.

Coming from Iraq is DEFINITELY your standout. That's going to set you apart from almost everyone, especially if you can talk about it in a captivating way, which no doubt you can. That 502 could definitely be troubling though..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah that's the thing :// that's why I don't know if it will be worth it to apply for this cycle.

Well that is why I'm starting this scribing job, I thought I would learn so much through it, and it could substitute for shadowing as well. I will def try to see if I could shadow physicians from other specialties other than emergency though.
Again, the scribing is also very useful on an app. Shows you know what youre getting yourself into and will make connections with Drs/PAs/NPs to shadow. The two are not interchangeable, though.

Perhaps some others with scribe/shadow mix have comments on their numbers / success?

Good on not being an INT; I think that would have been the kiss of death. My opinion on the matter still stands, the diversity will help (esp with state schools and select schools with diversity missions) but I don't know if it can pull a 60 percentile. I would take a year and restrengthen vs. being a reapplicant and down 1000s of $$.

Here are the only MD schools where your score seems to be above the 10th %ile. Even then, I reall feel that unless you have something special in your app, that you're score is pretty much lethal.

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Oakland U Beaumont

Albany

Rosalind Franklin

WVU

Your state school(s).

However, you're fin for a good number of DO schools. Skip AZCOM, the coastal Touros and CCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Hi guys, so I just got my mcat scores back, and oh my god, I don't know what to do. Please if you can give me an input on this, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
So here are my stats:
MCAT:502 (60th %) --- 125 chem/phys, 125 Bio/biochem, 125 CARS, 127 Psych/soc
GPA: 3.76
Experience:
-EMT-B-- been working in EMS for more than a year now, and have more than 2000 hours.
- ED scribe -- just started this job so I don't have many hours here
- Americorps volunteer - volunteered with them for a year where I worked with a resettlement agency for immigrants and refugees who just came to the US, I also was an interpreter/translator there.
- Organic Chemistry Research-- I did that for 3 years.
-Teacher assistant-- I TA'ed chemistry labs such as general and organic chemistry, did that for 2 years.
-tutoring-- tutored chemistry
-Community clinic volunteering -- around 60 hours.
-shadowing-- around 30 hrs for an internal medicine physician.

Should I apply for this cycle, and retake the mcat, do better and apply next year. The thing is I already took a gap year, and I dont know if I want to wait too long before applying.
I am also considering applying to DO schools.

Thank you so much in advance.

Scribing is not a substitute for shadowing. Some schools require shadowing, and the only thing that counts as shadowing is shadowing.

Here are the only MD schools where your score seems to be above the 10th %ile. Even then, I reall feel that unless you have something special in your app, that you're score is pretty much lethal.

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Oakland U Beaumont

Albany

Rosalind Franklin

WVU

Your state school(s).

However, you're fin for a good number of DO schools. Skip AZCOM, the coastal Touros and CCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Thank you so much for the list!