Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamneraway94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an AA URM just wondering if I should take a chance this cycle and apply 2016-2017 or wait until next year and finish the first year of my masters. I am primarily applying osteopathic but I may throw in a couple allopathic schools ( Howard and Mehhary). Here are my stats

cGPA: 3.05
sGPA 3.1
mcat 509
3 years of research in lab- publication this spring/summer
D1 NCAA student athlete .
1000+ hours shadowing
Tutor
Residence Assistant

Just to name a few! im open to every and any comment!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any volunteering ? Both healthcare and none healthcare?
How many hours did u tutor?

Yes I volunteer for the Lupis Foundation as one of the coordinator along with breast cancer walk every year. Not much health care besides shadowing and helping patients within the hospital. I've tutored for over a year about 10 hour a week ( usually most days after practice) along with the summer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do apply which schools are u wanting to apply too?
Total how many?
If you do apply then you need to apply very broad

Honestly I was think about all the osteopathic schools besides michagan state, Burrell,and kcumb. MD just meharry and Howard. Do you have any reccomendations?

Hi everyone,

I am an AA URM just wondering if I should take a chance this cycle and apply 2016-2017 or wait until next year and finish the first year of my masters. I am primarily applying osteopathic but I may throw in a couple allopathic schools ( Howard and Mehhary). Here are my stats

cGPA: 3.05
sGPA 3.1
mcat 509
3 years of research in lab- publication this spring/summer
D1 NCAA student athlete .
1000+ hours shadowing
Tutor
Residence Assistant

Just to name a few! im open to every and any comment!

A couple questions:

-What state are you from? In terms of resident classification, it may have an impact on schools?
-Do you have any non-medical volunteering? Or medical besides shadowing? (The 1000k shadowing hours is savage btw)
- what was your major and how do your Pre-req grades look?

- RI:
- I was a student volunteer coordinator for breast cancer walk for past 2 years an d same thing with lupis foundation
- public health major and pre req were mostly B, a couple B+s and couple C+s
I went too ham on the shadowing only cuz the guy was chill.
Not sure if this is relevant but I was born in Western Africa and moved to US when I was really young, basically sparked my interest in medicine after the Ebola crisis. I focused on that in my PS. I'm graduating this spring and I 'm going to an Ivy grad mph program in the fall ( grace of God )

HUGE upward trend from freshman year. Basically had 2.0 first year and half

- RI:
- I was a student volunteer coordinator for breast cancer walk for past 2 years an d same thing with lupis foundation
- public health major and pre req were mostly B, a couple B+s and couple C+s
I went too ham on the shadowing only cuz the guy was chill.
Not sure if this is relevant but I was born in Western Africa and moved to US when I was really young, basically sparked my interest in medicine after the Ebola crisis. I focused on that in my PS. I'm graduating this spring and I 'm going to an Ivy grad mph program in the fall ( grace of God )

That's awesome! Im also an African (Eastern) and immigrated to the US. I think you should take the time to finish the MPh or at least start and get some clinical/non clinical volunteering up. Also I would look into taking any class you got a C in again and try to apply MD and DO.

Okay yeah I'll definately look into that. I know my program has higher level bio courses that I was planning on taking. Would that look better if I do well in those or should I just retake the same courses?

Retake as well as do well going forward. I think your MCAT should earn you some love at the HBCU med programs like Meharry, Howard, and Morehouse. You could apply to some other MD programs and then DO as well. I know when I went through my application process it was rough so best of luck!

I really appreciate the help! thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 user