Should I ask for a formal apology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of our suppliers sent us a 5 $5 gift cards as part of an order. The owner comes in yesterday and asks me for them and I give him 3 envelopes of them. I never opened to check on the gift cards. Today he comes in and starts yelling and cursing, "where the **** are the other two gift cards?". I say I don't know I gave you what came in. Continues to question me as if these are $10000 gift cards or something. Every time I deny stealing them, he just tells me don't lie. I tell him to check the cameras.

Too bad the cameras are not working since the recorder was turned off. Now he accuses me of disabling the cameras so that he wouldn't know if I stole something or if I left early or came in late, etc. Now that I did inadvertently do. I needed to plug in to charge my phone one day so I unplugged this box which I've never seen used. I guess I should have known that a Vmoda box is a camera box.

Dude threatens to fire me, dock my pay, etc.

He just texts me 5 minutes ago saying that he found the gift cards.

Should I ask for a formal apology from this guy? I already received a job offer at a hospital in Brooklyn via staffing firm and I can have this job in Long Island as an overnight staff pharmacist full union benefits if I wait 3-4 more weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are just a such a schmuck. Why would you unplug anything that doesn't belong to you? It's not your stuff to mess with. You get yourself into more trouble than any 50 other people I know.

Reactions: 9 users
You are just a such a schmuck. Why would you unplug anything that doesn't belong to you? It's not your stuff to mess with. You get yourself into more trouble than any 50 other people I know.

Never saw it used before. Honestly, it looks like a cable TV box and it was connected to a TV and since I'm not gonna be watching TV at work, etc? Nothing happened with the computer system when I did it so I assumed it was fine. Plus I had unplugged it before to make room for some new printers they wanted me to install for the pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our suppliers sent us a 5 $5 gift cards as part of an order. The owner comes in yesterday and asks me for them and I give him 3 envelopes of them. I never opened to check on the gift cards. Today he comes in and starts yelling and cursing, "where the **** are the other two gift cards?". I say I don't know I gave you what came in. Continues to question me as if these are $10000 gift cards or something. Every time I deny stealing them, he just tells me don't lie. I tell him to check the cameras.

Too bad the cameras are not working since the recorder was turned off. Now he accuses me of disabling the cameras so that he wouldn't know if I stole something or if I left early or came in late, etc. Now that I did inadvertently do. I needed to plug in to charge my phone one day so I unplugged this box which I've never seen used. I guess I should have known that a Vmoda box is a camera box.

Dude threatens to fire me, dock my pay, etc.

He just texts me 5 minutes ago saying that he found the gift cards.

Should I ask for a formal apology from this guy? I already received a job offer at a hospital in Brooklyn via staffing firm and I can have this job in Long Island as an overnight staff pharmacist full union benefits if I wait 3-4 more weeks.
What value does a forced apology have? It's a meaningless and petty request.

Reactions: 3 users
I guess so. Should I ask that in the future that when it comes to something like this for the owner to actually gather some proof and do some research before making accusations?

Just get out of there before they fire you. Dude, you have no clue.

Reactions: 10 users
You are an employee. If you quit he can easily hire another pharmacist. Don't let your pride get the better of you.

Reactions: 2 users
i love this guy, god! ... :D one of the reasons I always check the pharmacy forums

Reactions: 5 users
Just get out of there before they fire you. Dude, you have no clue.

I wonder if this was possible retaliation for making a report to the DEA about fake narcotic scripts. They told me that someone would be coming in with some scripts and that they already verified the legitimacy of the scripts. I did some additional research when the guy came in and discovered that the address/phone # on the script were fake. (I googled the doc's name and found a different address/phone. Spoke to the doctor on the correct address/phone and he denied ever writing those scripts. I made copies of the script and forwarded the info to the local DEA.)

I need to get out of here ASAP. The only question is if I should take the Brooklyn offer right away or wait a few weeks to see if I get the better position.

I guess so. Should I ask that in the future that when it comes to something like this for the owner to actually gather some proof and do some research before making accusations?
I'd personally keep it in my back pocket to throw in his face later. You know, "So you think I'm stealing your tuna sandwiches out of the break room fridge, eh? Just like when you thought I stole those gift cards, jerkface?" Though, I admit it's an equally petty thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Sparda, I like you personally, but holy cannoli, I wouldn't want to work with you. Old Timer is right - you get yourself into way too much trouble.

Someone needs to check if gift cards were involved in getting Gold Donor status!

So the owner is not a pharmacist? I don't think I would ever be interested in a gig like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, good work with the cameras.

Secondly, I would dig deeper and find out if the gift cards violate an ethical standard ... Why would someone who owns a pharmacy be that concerned with a few $5 gift cards.... Along those lines, document and dig some more dirt on him, keep on the down low for now but as soon as you have accepted the new job, blackmail, whistle blow, or threaten to sue the guy ..

Demanding an apology is weak, not because he doesn't owe you one... But he probably legally owes you a lot more if he is shady.

sparda man, you have more drama than all 45 of our pharmacists combined - I am sure you are a smart guy, but drama follows you around more than anyone I know

Reactions: 1 user
Someone needs to check if gift cards were involved in getting Gold Donor status!

So the owner is not a pharmacist? I don't think I would ever be interested in a gig like that.

The owner is a pharmacist but she is pretty nice. Unfortunately, she has her brother managing the place since she is the PIC/owner at another pharmacy.

Ah, ok. I was just curious why they were insisting you fill shady narc scripts.

First off, good work with the cameras.

Secondly, I would dig deeper and find out if the gift cards violate an ethical standard ... Why would someone who owns a pharmacy be that concerned with a few $5 gift cards.... Along those lines, document and dig some more dirt on him, keep on the down low for now but as soon as you have accepted the new job, blackmail, whistle blow, or threaten to sue the guy ..

Demanding an apology is weak, not because he doesn't owe you one... But he probably legally owes you a lot more if he is shady.

Yep, whistleblow that he's accepting kickbacks for using a certain wholesaler. I'm sure hms would be interested At worst he gets off at best he's hung out to dry.

Well, the obvious has already been commented on, so I'll just reaffirm the answer the the original question. No, do not ask for an apology. Just suck it up, and get out of there as soon as you can. Honestly, I would take the Brooklyn job (you can always quit if something better comes along.) I would get out of your current situation as soon as possible, because in spite of your faults, it sounds like the owner either 1) has a screw loose 2) is up to very illegal practices or 3) both.

sparda man, you have more drama than all 45 of our pharmacists combined - I am sure you are a smart guy, but drama follows you around more than anyone I know

You should have seen the **** I experienced before moving to the calm, safe, and relaxing confines of retail pharmacy in Philly. Exploding cars, forced to live in a shack, getting into trouble for nonsense at school every other week, almost was eaten by a bear, I'm pretty sure an ex girlfriend left poop on my doorstep, I saw a robot in a hospital attack a patient's bed...I saw some crazy stuff.

I don't know how, but moving to one of the most dangerous cities in the country and getting into the practice area that is supposed to suck the most with the employer that is supposed to be the devil...pretty much made everything normal in my life. Nothing too weird happens to me anymore. I got a piece of Chipotle stuck in my esophagus earlier this year. That's as weird as its gotten. I rather like it.

Sparda should move to Detroit or Baltimore and get a job overnight with CVS. Trust me on this one, man. It doesn't have to make sense, it just works somehow.

I haven't read through all the recent posts but this is my analysis.

First of all, the owner is careless and stupid for making the security system accessible/prone to being "unplugged."
Second, demanding an apology is awkward, especially if it's to your boss/owner/etc.
If the pharmacy is indeed engaging in illicit dispensing and the board descends upon the pharmacy... you may lose your license too. Generally it's the owner and PIC that will be disciplined (ie. investigative costs, monetary fines, surrendering licenses, etc) but you never know.

I haven't read through all the recent posts but this is my analysis.

First of all, the owner is careless and stupid for making the security system accessible/prone to being "unplugged."
Second, demanding an apology is awkward, especially if it's to your boss/owner/etc.
If the pharmacy is indeed engaging in illicit dispensing and the board descends upon the pharmacy... you may lose your license too. Generally it's the owner and PIC that will be disciplined (ie. investigative costs, monetary fines, surrendering licenses, etc) but you never know.

Yeah, I'm just gonna take the Brooklyn offer for now. But then what do I do if the Long Island one offers it to me a month later?

Yeah, I'm just gonna take the Brooklyn offer for now. But then what do I do if the Long Island one offers it to me a month later?

Well, you'll be burning bridges no matter what you do, but just give a 2 week notice and politely explain that the job wasn't what you thought it would be or something else non-specific like that.

Sparda should be used as an argument against saturation. From his posts I've gathered that he lives in the NYC area, yet has managed to land at least 5 jobs, then work at all of them, over what seems like a single year.

Reactions: 4 users
Sparda should be used as an argument against saturation. From his posts I've gathered that he lives in the NYC area, yet has managed to land at least 5 jobs, then work at all of them, over what seems like a single year.

One.

I actually just had a trial workday at another independent today. I thought it was pretty awesome there and the owners are very nice pharmacists. They told me they don't do any of the gray area bs that the other independents do. They pay pretty well, 2 weeks vacation to start, health insurance, 3-4 days a week. My job here would be as a staff pharmacist but primarily to focus on non-sterile compounding and coming up with different compounds to make, filling out PA forms to send to the insurance companies, etc.

I'll put my mini resume here.

Y Drugs - September 2014 - Present - Supervising Pharmacist
X Medical Center - June 2013 - Current - Staff Pharmacist PRN
Y Health System - September 2012-June 2014 - Staff Pharmacist
- Children's Medical Center - April 2014 - June 2014
- Community Hospital - September 2012 - April 2014
X Pharmacy - July 2012 - Present - Staff Pharmacist PRN/Part-Time

It's different when you're unemployed and sending out 80 applications a month vs when you're employed and sending out 80 applications a month.

In retrospect though, I should have never left the Community Hospital where I started for the Children's Hospital. I had a perfect shift (3pm-11pm), was in a good union, had chill people who worked with me, and the overnight shift I was signing up for at the Children's Hospital only paid $10k more. I didn't think pediatrics would be that much harder or that the administration would be that much crazier. I guess it's easier to deal with 1 DOP who acts like an ass to everyone but is a reasonable, fair guy vs a DOP you never see, an assistant DOP you only see once a day, a operations coordinator, an automations/informatics coordinator, an inventory coordinator, 5 different lead pharmacists, etc.

Last edited:

Seriously. Granted, Sparda's right, its easier to get a job, when one already has a job. But still, him being in one of the most saturated areas of the country, and still getting job offers left and right, is quite an accomplishment.

A) Don't unplug things when you don't know what they're for. We had a floater do that once. It was for the freezer. Bye bye Zostavax and Varivax.

B) Just hire a TV crew to follow you around on your mishaps in pharmacy. It's pretty comical how stuff keeps happening to you.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if this was possible retaliation for making a report to the DEA about fake narcotic scripts. They told me that someone would be coming in with some scripts and that they already verified the legitimacy of the scripts. I did some additional research when the guy came in and discovered that the address/phone # on the script were fake. (I googled the doc's name and found a different address/phone. Spoke to the doctor on the correct address/phone and he denied ever writing those scripts. I made copies of the script and forwarded the info to the local DEA.)

I need to get out of here ASAP. The only question is if I should take the Brooklyn offer right away or wait a few weeks to see if I get the better position.

Honestly, I would leave. I wouldn't want to continue to working in an environment where I am constantly accused of stealing a gift card and where management thinks I am lying. That will soon be a toxic environment if it already isn't.

If you can temporarily work at another independent for a few week or take a few weeks off, do it. That way you can hear back from LI and that sounds like a sweet gig to have.

All the best dude!

Seriously. Granted, Sparda's right, its easier to get a job, when one already has a job. But still, him being in one of the most saturated areas of the country, and still getting job offers left and right, is quite an accomplishment.

Especially with a track record like his.

I wish I had 2-3 years of hospital experience on my resume. And as far as track record goes, he is already admitting that some moves were not justified. Also the more you interview, the better you get at it. So hospital experience + some supervising retail to mix it up with solid interviewing skills and a good story to explain some of the moves, and you can get some offers.