Should I ask my LOR writer not to mention this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingwater

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering ask my Metaphysics professor to write me a letter of recommendation. I have a great relationship with him.

In the beginning of the semester like once or twice I've mentioned my interests in New Age and magic cause I simply found it very interesting. He was a nice guy and entertained it.

I'm confident he will write me a great LOR but I don't want him to mention my interests in New Age and stuff.

I am not comfortable with adcoms knowing my beliefs on that. I also don't want them to think I would prefer medicine from a curandera or "natural" or "magical" healing over actual medicine. I would never do that. Of course I believe in pharmaceutical medicine.

I feel this is a legitimate concern and involves personal belief that I consider sensitive information.

I want to ask him "not to mention my interests in New Age" and was wondering if you guys agree?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have to ask a LOR writer not to mention things, you shouldnt be asking him for a LOR

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why? It's to avoid having him information about personal interests that I'd simply rather now reveal at first to medical schools.

100% agree. The criteria for asking for a LOR should be "Dr X, can you write me a good LOR for my med school application?"

My interest in New Age is neither good nor bad. It's a neutral thing. Do you thinking mentioning it would raise concerns and have them think I prefer natural or magical healing over actual pharmaceutical medicine?

I think you should just take your chances.

I was counting on my letter writers to not say "By the way crossingthefingers is super gay", because it's not actually that relevant to why they think I would be a good doctor! And if it is relevant for them, I trust them to mention it well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm considering ask my Metaphysics professor to write me a letter of recommendation. I have a great relationship with him.

In the beginning of the semester like once or twice I've mentioned my interests in New Age and magic cause I simply found it very interesting. He was a nice guy and entertained it.

I'm confident he will write me a great LOR but I don't want him to mention my interests in New Age and stuff.

I am not comfortable with adcoms knowing my beliefs on that. I also don't want them to think I would prefer medicine from a curandera or "natural" or "magical" healing over actual medicine. I would never do that. Of course I believe in pharmaceutical medicine.

I feel this is a legitimate concern and involves personal belief that I consider sensitive information.

I want to ask him "not to mention my interests in New Age" and was wondering if you guys agree?
You can ask, or not. If the professor strongly supports your candidacy, he's unlikely to mention something that he perceives will hurt your chances. But since you will have waived your right to see the letter, you have no control over the contents. You may not know what he's really thinking unless he voluntarily shares a copy of the LOR with you. And you can't count on that.

You can ask, or not. If the professor strongly supports your candidacy, he's unlikely to mention something that he perceives will hurt your chances. But since you will have waived your right to see the letter, you have no control over the contents. You may not know what he's really thinking unless he voluntarily shares a copy of the LOR with you. And you can't count on that.

I'm confident he wouldn't say something to purposely hurt me.

I didn't tell him I have an interest in anything like magical healing. But stuff like that is oftentimes associated with New Age.

I'm simply concerned if for whatever reason he mentions my interest in New Age, adcoms will become concerned.

I am not going to try to get him to show me the LOR. That is his prerogative but I do want to relay my concern.

https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

At the bottom of A, they mention the note, that for sensitive information it's okay for the letter writer to ask if it's okay to include it. He may not consider it sensitive information but I certainly do.

As above, I don't think anyone would bother mentioning a personal interest you've had a couple conversations about in a LOR unless he, for some reason, really thinks it will impact your ability to be a doctor. A LOR is a place to discuss your performance in his class, not your personal interests - that's what your personal statement is for.

And if this was really just a casual mention once or twice he's probably forgotten about it, and if he did find if odd, bringing it up will just serve to remind him.

This is just me, but it reflects a lack of skeptical thinking at best, and gullibility at the worse. Many of the people reviewing your app will be scientists and expect applicants to have good critical thinking skills.

My interest in New Age is neither good nor bad. It's a neutral thing. Do you thinking mentioning it would raise concerns and have them think I prefer natural or magical healing over actual pharmaceutical medicine?

Crap I figured this would also be the case

This is just me, but it reflects a lack of skeptical thinking at best, and gullibility at the worse. Many of the people reviewing your app will be scientists and expect applicants to have good critical thinking skills.

Lol nooooo @gonnif

Okay so on one of my recent papers I guess because my professor wanted to just entertain my interests he related one of my ideas in a paper to a new age thought. Some sort of connection between ancient philosophy to dumb new age stuff.

To be honest, a few months ago I was more intrigued with it. I don't care so much for it now. I mean it's interesting but it's not one of my main interests. I have yet to respond to those comments but I'm thinking about just letting him know the idea is interesting but my interest in new age has waned and it's just not comparable to ancient, professional philosophy?

Thoughts? @Goro @Catalystik @gonnif

Just ask him face-to-face not to bring it up. He will probably say "ok" and you can both move on with your lives.
Meet with him and mention that you are a bit embarrassed now by your brief enthusiasm about New Age thought/practices and that with further reflection you realize how off base it is with regard to the role of physicians, or whatever. Just so he knows that you have matured away from that.