Should I be considering Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and the people I personally know with many years of experience sing an entirely different tune? .
(Full disclosure, I'm in a PP doing cardiac/OB, taking 10-12 calls a month, with no guarantee post call day off)
BRUTAL.

great post.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interventional cards? EP? LMAO. Why don't you talk to some of the recent grads and see how they're doing? If they managed to get a job anywhere close to civilization, you'll see what they're going through.
Going onto these forums asking for specialty advice is like judging a hospital based on its Yelp reviews. Who do you think is more likely to sound off - the people who had a good experience or a miserable one?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interventional cards? EP? LMAO. Why don't you talk to some of the recent grads and see how they're doing? If they managed to get a job anywhere close to civilization, you'll see what they're going through.
Going onto these forums asking for specialty advice is like judging a hospital based on its Yelp reviews. Who do you think is more likely to sound off - the people who had a good experience or a miserable one?

That's because the "new graduates" want to join an existing group. The way I would handle it is open up shop by myself; yes,, it would take a few years to build a practice but I would be my own boss and be rewarded for my exceptional skills.

Ask yourself if there is ANY hospital in America that doesn't have room for one more A plus Cardiology person? At my place we could use several of those types.

If you can't join them then BEAT them at their own game.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This is a great point, since I especially hate Yelp, although sometimes it can be useful. I admit, I posted a slightly bitter post originally, and it's likely just bitterness with my current situation. This forum is a amazing place for people to vent because we all know venting in public can likely cost us our job/hospital contract. Alot of anesthesia is based on what "drives you". If you want to be a millionaire, you'll probably be happy working a brutal schedule and watching your bank account inflate, especially if you want to keep up with the Jones' (er, in this age, the Zuckerbergs)

Some people make just want a modest paying (for medicine) job where they can go home at night and do what they love and be with the people they love, so they may not want to work every day and night of the week (probably better suited to do locums).

There are aspects of anesthesia I absolutely love. I love working in the OR and I like the satisfaction of relieving the pain of a labor patient even if I don't necessarily like OB anesthesia in itself (sorry, I hate C/S. no one should be awake with an open belly. my opinion). But with the way jobs are working nowadays Anesthesiology is quickly becoming one of the fields that's yielding burnout. Very similar to Emergency Medicine.

So to answer the OP. Intervential Cards vs Anesthesiology. Depends on if you want a patient base vs being a consultant/service person. I think that's the biggest deciding factor.

Reactions: 1 users