Should I be getting an interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugatno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The suspense is killing me. I had a mail out date of 7/11 and haven't gotten any feedback, which I suppose is better than a rejection? But as far as stats go:
sGPA 3.20
cGPA 3.31
DAT aa-20 ts-19 pat-19 rc-25
I have a ton of extra curriculars and around 100 hours shadowing. After my first year and a half my gpa has been way, way higher than it started out, and I noted the reason why on my app. Applied to: Michigan, Ohio state, UNC, Louisville, Kentucky, meharry, Texas a&m Baylor, Indiana, Georgia Regents, and Florida. And considering applying late to some others, idk though.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you applied to a lot of schools that don't take a lot of out of state kids, why?

What is your residency? I agree with Faux. You applied to a ton of state schools. If you have the funds, I would apply to private schools right now. The schools you've listed aren't friendly to OOS applicants and it isn't too surprising you haven't heard back given your average DAT and below average GPA. You should consider the private schools (aka Tufts, Boston, NYU, Midwestern AZ/IL, Nova, Case, Creighton, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in GA. I just don't really want to stay here, so I just looked into places with relatively good locations and didn't have insanely high averages. But I guess that wasn't a great idea.

I live in GA. I just don't really want to stay here, so I just looked into places with relatively good locations and didn't have insanely high averages. But I guess that wasn't a great idea.

apply to some private colleges like pinkster recommended. Maybe even get the adea book, its very informative.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah it would have been better to look at the statistics for OOS applicants to those schools. Looking at their overall statistics is quite misleading because they aren't representative of the OOS applicants alone. I've never seen the ADEA book, but I would be willing to guess you can find these statistics within it. I'm pretty sure you can buy it online rights this minute...

Your list of schools is terrible. Also my app went complete like 2 weeks ago and I have 4 interviews already

Yeah it would have been better to look at the statistics for OOS applicants to those schools. Looking at their overall statistics is quite misleading because they aren't representative of the OOS applicants alone. I've never seen the ADEA book, but I would be willing to guess you can find these statistics within it. I'm pretty sure you can buy it online rights this minute...
Yea I haven't been able to find stats representative for just oos for many of them online, so I'll probably have to get that book to break it down.

Looks like you are applying to football/ basketball schools lol. That's what I did too when I first applied to dental school.

I agree with the others here... Apply to more (private) schools.

I would also recommend Roseman, btw... they value RC highly, so it's probably a good place to apply to, since you have 25 RC.

Before listening to the "apply to privates" advice, ask yourself if you are willing to incur the level of debt associated with them. To answer your original question, your likelihood of getting interviews is somewhat low because of both poor school choices and a weak gpa. Hopefully this doesn't sound too mean, but you should probably actually look into where you're applying, not only because each school could mean $$$ down the drain, but also because one of those schools will (hopefully) be where you are trained to enter the profession.

Ya done fugged up kid.

If you are not a Texas resident I would never apply. All 3 Texas schools are VERY anti-OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio, texas, georgia, these are the ones that I can see right off the bat that seems like a bad choice!
There are all OOS unfriendly, text and georgia being extremely unfriendly.

and Florida as well if you are talking about UoF.
Meharry is only good if you are urm..

Something you should do is get the most recent ADEA guide to dental schools book, and go through the statistics. I made a spreadsheet with all the schools and included relevant #'s about each one. You should be able to determine their approximate preferences based on this data. For instance, sort by oos applicants accepted/total oos applicants and you will get a rough idea of what your chances are.

Ohio, texas, georgia, these are the ones that I can see right off the bat that seems like a bad choice!
There are all OOS unfriendly, text and georgia being extremely unfriendly.

Georgia isn't a bad choice since he's a Georgia resident.

The suspense is killing me. I had a mail out date of 7/11 and haven't gotten any feedback, which I suppose is better than a rejection? But as far as stats go:
sGPA 3.20
cGPA 3.31
I have a ton of extra curriculars and around 100 hours shadowing. After my first year and a half my gpa has been way, way higher than it started out, and I noted the reason why on my app. Applied to: Michigan, Ohio state, UNC, Louisville, Kentucky, meharry, Texas a&m Baylor, Indiana, Georgia Regents, and Florida. And considering applying late to some others, idk though.

Sorry to be mean but jeeeez that school list wow haha, you will be lucky to get an interview at all.
you could have saved yourself $1000, a lot of grief and a year of your life if you just spent $10 on the 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

What was your QR? It seems like you need a maximum of 16 on your QR to get an interview, anything higher than that schools won't even look at your app.

What was your QR? It seems like you need a maximum of 16 on your QR to get an interview, anything higher than that schools won't even look at your app.
My qr was an 18.
I've been asked to do all the supplemental apps by the schools that don't have everyone do it right off the bat, so maybe that's a bit of a sign of hope

Sorry to be mean but jeeeez that school list wow haha, you will be lucky to get an interview at all.
you could have saved yourself $1000, a lot of grief and a year of your life if you just spent $10 on the 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.
Yea, I figured I might as well see if I get lucky this time around, someone reviewing the apps might feel generous one day. I'd rather apply now and after gettin my masters and not wonder what might have happened.

I'm a Georiga resident.
I have higher GPA and DAT score and lower extracurriculum hours than you.
I haven't heard anything from GRU nor Louisville yet.
I can't compare my situation to your situation, because we have different stat.
Unitl cycle is end, you never know what will heppen. So, don't lose your hope!!

Lol the schools send you supplementals just to make money. I have a lower GPA than and the schools which send you supplementals afterward have all requested for me to submit it along with their fee only to reject me the week after. Screw them.

apply to CA private schools and i think as you're app;ying to meharry you're African american you need to add Howard
you will have a very good chance to get into meharry you have high than the average GPA and DAT
and delete texas schools they aren't OOS friendly

apply to CA private schools and i think as you're app;ying to meharry you're African american you need to add Howard
you will have a very good chance to get into meharry you have high than the average GPA and DAT
and delete texas schools they aren't OOS friendly
I think Howard as a rule that you can only take your prereqs at a university so if that's not the case then I'd omit that school as well.

sGPA 3.20
cGPA 3.31
Okay. Before you dish out loads of money applying one of the most expensive professions do your homework. Texas has a law that legally 90%+ of the students accepted have to be Texas residents. If you aren't from Texas don't apply here because your stats are not to going to get you in. If you are not a URM I wouldn't apply to Meharry unless you live in an under served area. Just search through SDN because there are countless thread similar to this with people asking where to apply and if there list is good. GL