Should I be worried that my CV is essentially blank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now more than halfway through my third year of residency, I'm starting to get all these infamous emails and voicemails from headhunters and locums agencies. It's tempting to begin dealing with them right away, since I'm interested in moonlighting. I've noticed they all request a copy of my CV, and this makes me feel pretty inadequate. I've never been a stand-out academic performer. I presented one poster at a conference in medical school, and was first author on a paper on the same research project, but it was in a field other than psychiatry. I'm not a chief resident, nor have I won any awards or anything. I'm not a member of any professional societies. So what the heck do I put on my CV? And more importantly, am I woefully behind those who are capable of obtaining gainful employment at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Now more than halfway through my third year of residency, I'm starting to get all these infamous emails and voicemails from headhunters and locums agencies. It's tempting to begin dealing with them right away, since I'm interested in moonlighting. I've noticed they all request a copy of my CV, and this makes me feel pretty inadequate. I've never been a stand-out academic performer. I presented one poster at a conference in medical school, and was first author on a paper on the same research project, but it was in a field other than psychiatry. I'm not a chief resident, nor have I won any awards or anything. I'm not a member of any professional societies. So what the heck do I put on my CV? And more importantly, am I woefully behind those who are capable of obtaining gainful employment at this point?

1) do the locums people want residents? Most of the larger locums companies require at least BE, some BC. the best place to find moonlighting opps if they exist is to ask around locally.

2) As for your main question, no, your CV(in terms of having a bunch of stuff like posters, papers, awards, etc) for non-academic jobs starting out is not important at all. Probably some clinical acadmic ones as well. Jobs are going to be interested in:

-is this person going to create value/revenue for the system
-is this person going to do anything to damage our system
-is this person going to be a team player and a hard worker(goes to the first point)
-is this person going to be able to work fast/efficiently and adapt to the 'real world' quickly(again goes to first point)

In terms of the last point, moonlighting some during residency if you can would probably give jobs more confidence in you.

Notice that doing a posters, papers, etc does nothing for the 4 questions above.

1) do the locums people want residents? Most of the larger locums companies require at least BE, some BC. the best place to find moonlighting opps if they exist is to ask around locally.
I replied back to at least one locums recruiter telling them I had another year of residency left, and they responded "so you aren't available for weekend or holiday coverage?" I suppose it's possible that they don't know the system well enough to know that my being in residency means I'm not board eligible yet, but I don't know.

In my location, there aren't many local moonlighting opportunities. There is one I'm considering, but it would involve giving up every other Saturday. All the others I know of are too far away and/or don't pay enough to be worth it, or have all their shifts gobbled up by attendings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I replied back to at least one locums recruiter telling them I had another year of residency left, and they responded "so you aren't available for weekend or holiday coverage?" I suppose it's possible that they don't know the system well enough to know that my being in residency means I'm not board eligible yet, but I don't know.

well I guess I would depend on the specifics....there is a chance I suppose that this locums recruiter wasn't from comphealth, onyx, etc and had been specifically told by the client anyone with a license would do...but that's not typical for most locums.

Also, what you have to understand about locums recruiters and headhunters is they call and email bomb basically everyone. If you're ever 'targeted' for a position you aren't a good fit for, don't worry about it- they didn't bother to read your profile closely enough to know you aren't. I must have gotten 100 emails today asking me if I will see children....

for possibly the first time ever, i agree with everything vistaril has mentioned in this thread so far. in short, don't sweat it. you'll be fine

Um, last time I checked you are a physician. You didn't have time to get a bunch of extra stuff during that training. It's ok. They want you and need you much more than you need them.
MD/DO is worth more than the alphabet soup the other people have.