Should I be worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowmix1712

SGUSVM c/o 2020!!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated in 2008 and just took biochemistry. Since I don't know who any of my past teachers are, I asked my biochem teacher to write me a letter so I had an academic. We had a good repor and I participated in class a lot so I didn't think it would be unwise to ask her. Well, I started my app on day 1, sent out the ELoR and ppi (Colorado seems to still need this) and she ALREADY finished everything.... One week in lol...

Does anyone have any similar experience of ELoRs finishing lightning quick? Do most teachers have a template they reuse and just fill in the student's name? I'm worried because she never responded to me email asking her if she wanted my resume etc to help her write. I'm sure I'm just overly worried but it's my first time applying!!

Members don't see this ad.

It should be a B, still waiting on final grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked one of my work study employers, who I know does like me and knows me very well on a personal level, to write me an evaluation and he finished his within a day of receiving the form. It could be a red flag, especially since you mentioned not providing any transcripts, resumes, or personal statements, but then again, there are people who just have more time on their hands.

Some of mine got it done immediately, and some took every last second to do it. I think it just depends on the person's personality rather than whether it's a good letter or not.

Reactions: 1 user
there are people who just have more time on their hands.

I gotta say, I didn't find this to be a very gracious comment.

When people have asked me to write references in my old job, I tried to do it as quickly as possible for their sake as well as for mine (to get it off my list). It certainly was not because I was sitting around with nothing else to do.

I don't think it's a red flag! One of the doctors I asked told me he was going to do it the day he got my request because he's a busy dude and didn't want to forget. I really appreciated it because now I don't have to worry about one of them!

I gotta say, I didn't find this to be a very gracious comment.

When people have asked me to write references in my old job, I tried to do it as quickly as possible for their sake as well as for mine (to get it off my list). It certainly was not because I was sitting around with nothing else to do.

Jesus, that was really bad phrasing on my part. My apologies if I insulted anyone and for not thinking that through.

Last edited:
OP, I think there's nothing to be gained from stressing about it. You can't change it. How fast someone responded might be bad, it might be good, it's most likely not important or meaningful. Put it in the rear view mirror and plow on ahead and keep your chin up.

If it REALLY bothers you, the obvious thing to do would be to have a discussion with the letter writer. Something like "Hey, I saw you got it in really quickly! Thank you!" and then just gauge their response for some clues. But honestly, I'd just move on and try not to over-think it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! I'm going to move on and try to not think about it.

I'm going to just tell myself "hey, she isn't teaching any summer classes, and might not even check this email after all her spring classes are graded, so she wanted to pound it out fast and get it done!" =)

Thanks everyone! I'm going to move on and try to not think about it.

I'm going to just tell myself "hey, she isn't teaching any summer classes, and might not even check this email after all her spring classes are graded, so she wanted to pound it out fast and get it done!" =)
if it makes you feel better, i had someone write my VIRMP LOR within days of my request (the others waited until last minute haha). i know he wrote an excellent letter, because one of the places i interviewed commented on how highly spoken of i was in my letters. i also matched to an excellent program.

i think some people are just quicker to eliminate tasks from their to-do list. i think you are over analyzing the situation, and regardless, the letter has been written and submitted. cant change that! there are lots of other things to worry about with regards to vet school, might as well not waste energy on something you cant change! (a very good skill to have as a future veterinarian!)

I wrote a (non-vet) letter of recommendation for someone that I thought very highly of. I submitted a letter her parents would probably frame if I sent it to them. I was motivated to get her letter in early in case it helped her application. It took me one evening to write the letter.

One week is not a quickly written letter... just means it probably took her those 7 days to start it.

My evaluators submitted same day, about 10 days, and the day before it was due, and my score for letters was very high, I was told.

I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. I asked one of my professor to write one and we had a meeting for two hours where he took notes. Then I saw that he submitted it in two hours o_O
He has written numerous letters of recommendation for graduate school so he knew the general format he needed. You should be excited that he was on top of it!! one less person to bug about making sure to submit on time!

Keep in mind that many science professors are used to writing letters for pre-meds. I believe the med school application system is rolling, so there's an advantage if you submit early. There's no advantage to submitting VMCAS early, so it's not really a factor for us. She might just be used to having pre-meds pressure her.

Or maybe she's going on vacation soon and just wanted to get it done when things are still fresh in her mind.

No point worrying about it.

Last edited: