Should I become a doctor or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Emergency Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in some sort of a dilemma here. I've always wanted to be a doctor, an emergency doctor to be exact. I have also wanted to be rich. To be rich, I'll have to be an investment banker or something like that; some job that will give me all the money I could ever wish for.

But the thing is I will never be happy being a investment banker. I've dreamed of owning various super cars, nice houses, and other luxurious. I want to be a doctor because I really love helping people. I love what doctors do.

What should I do? I'll be finishing up high school in a while.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in some sort of a dilemma here. I've always wanted to be a doctor, an emergency doctor to be exact. I have also wanted to be rich. To be rich, I'll have to be an investment banker or something like that; some job that will give me all the money I could ever wish for.

But the thing is I will never be happy being a investment banker. I've dreamed of owning various super cars, nice houses, and other luxurious. I want to be a doctor because I really love helping people. I love what doctors do.

I'm an hSDNer so I don't have much experience, but I do have common sense. Don't become an investment banker just for the money. Happiness > Money. Doctors are quite rich as well, even the lowest paying fields average in the six figures. You seem like you have your heart set on becoming a doctor. (I saw your username LOL). Just keep in mind that if you are a traditional student, you will not be attending until at least your late 20's. If you like science, and are ready for a long journey, I would consider it, but know that other careers are out there.

If you're interested in medicine, great! Try to see if you can shadow some physicians and see what they really do on a daily basis and see if you like it. Just don't think money first, money comes and goes, other things really are more important. I've been where you are before. Just work hard and follow your passions and you will be fine.

Last edited:

What should you do? Grow up first. That's not even an insult.

Uh - you sound like you want money - do this. Major in ChemE, you'll start off with 6 figures... esp if you work for oil.

You can make money in medicine if you are willing to work hard over a long period of time, save, invest, and be patient.

In medicine, you can own a nice home and nice car in your early 30s and a nicer home and nicer car in your 40s and 50s. If you want a ferrari in your 20s, medicine is not for you.