Should I bother reviewing verbal sections on FLs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was doing decently well on the verbal sections a few weeks ago (10s) but lately I've been getting a few 8s and even a 7... I think it may have something to do with me being mentally fatigued and not being able to focus, yet my science scores have gone up.

It's so frustrating because verbal used to be my strong section and now it's my weakest! My MCAT is exactly one week away. I'd really like to bring my verbal back to where it was so that I can be doing well in all 3 sections on the real thing.

With that being said, should I go over old verbal sections I did? I've tried, but it doesn't really seem to help me because it just points out my mistakes on that particular passage and I don't know how that's supposed to help me with future passages... Like I said, I think fatigue may be a part which is why I will take a day off and especially rest the couple days before my real exam, but as far as reviewing old passages or using my time by practicing more passages, what do you guys think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I was doing decently well on the verbal sections a few weeks ago (10s) but lately I've been getting a few 8s and even a 7... I think it may have something to do with me being mentally fatigued and not being able to focus, yet my science scores have gone up.

It's so frustrating because verbal used to be my strong section and now it's my weakest! My MCAT is exactly one week away. I'd really like to bring my verbal back to where it was so that I can be doing well in all 3 sections on the real thing.

With that being said, should I go over old verbal sections I did? I've tried, but it doesn't really seem to help me because it just points out my mistakes on that particular passage and I don't know how that's supposed to help me with future passages... Like I said, I think fatigue may be a part which is why I will take a day off and especially rest the couple days before my real exam, but as far as reviewing old passages or using my time by practicing more passages, what do you guys think I should do?

If fatigue is whats causing the problem then I suggest, as you mentioned, taking a day off and try to work on building endurance. However, I can tell you that reviewing VR sections (specifically on the AAMCs) helped me tremendously ! I used to re-do every verbal section and look at the questions I got wrong the first time but correct the second time around that then analyze what went wrong... but I totally feel your pain.

Good luck and hope everything goes well

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses! Hopefully I'm not asking too much, but could either of you let me know if this is a good plan leading up to the big day? I think this might be more beneficial than studying for like 6 hours a day for my last week. The only long days would be FL days.

Friday the 18th - Take AAMC CBT 10, relax for a little bit and review it. maybe review some of the bio self assessment
Saturday the 19th - Work on some weak areas in chem and physics based off previous FLs and review some questions from the bio self assessment I did
Sunday the 20th - Work on weak areas in orgo and bio and an EK verbal section and some more review of the bio self assessment
Monday the 21st - AAMC CBT 11 and review
Tuesday the 22nd - one ek verbal section
Wednesday the 23rd - Very light review, maybe look at some equations if anything at all
Thursday the 24th - Take the exam and cry tears of joy when I walk out

I know it may seem like it's a loaded schedule, but the only thing I really don't know where to fit in is reviewing the bio self assessment. The days where I'm reviewing weak areas are very very light. Nothing mentally exhausting.

Thanks in advance!