should I bother taking an extra science class in my last semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeineaholic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my last semester of undergrad, I'm applying to med schools after graduation. How much does this semester's courseload matter? I know it will still be seen by adcomms, but will it hurt me to have my courseload be lighter than in past semesters? I only need one course for my major and one lab for finishing pre-med reqs. I'm taking those two courses and 2 humanities classes and am considering taking an extra science class. If I got an A in it, it would boost my BCPM GPA by 0.018 points (doesn't really seem that much, right?). The thing is, none of the classes that fit into my schedule are too interesting in their own right though some don't seem too hard since they cover material that I've partially covered in other classes. I'm mostly just worried that having a courseload that's barely full time credit-wise will look bad when I've had a full courseload with every previous semester.

Right now, I'm considering: take the extra science class even though it'd be boring and not very useful, drop the extra science class and take an extra humanities class (though most of the interesting ones are already full), or just drop the class and have a light courseload and try to use the extra time wisely (like w/ shadowing a physician or with volunteering more).

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to learn the material do it. If you think it will help your application do it. I doubt that it will make the difference, but I hate asking "What if"

well adcoms barely have time to nitpick over your application. they do want to see that you kept yourself busy. so its perfectly acceptable to not take the class if you involve youself in another activity. just make sure its not entering Wii tournaments. I wouldnt bother, take a class that interests you thats non science. They are also looking for worldy persons, or those you have intrests out of the norm (helps you stand out). i had plenty of semesters where i took 10 to 12 hours and no one even asked me about it.