should I change my career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

help2decide

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am single female 26 right now, having BS in Electrical Engineering, MS in Comp Science from top school, 5 years working experiences. Currently employed full time with all 401 K benefit.

My career sounds wonderful; yet, mentally I am very depressed. I do not like the programming world, it has been more like for my work only. ( most needed person) and it's for my green card purposes. I am still waiting for my green card approval after this long four years of working time.

I read alot about medical career and interested to change my career. It's big decision for me to make,since I don't really have much money ( I paid my brother's tuition for 3 years which costs me about 2 years salary). So, I was thinking that I will still stay in my current job for next two years, so I can save up enough money for my medical school.

But counting on days needed till I earned my first income back in medical career really scares me ( 26 + 2 years preparation + 4 med schools + 3 recidency) = I will be 36. That's a little bit too risky. Also, I haven't even consider things might change one day such as: marriage, found quilty, handicapped after accident etc. I was just dumped by my bf after 5 years, dare not get into any new relationship because I felt that getting into medical career, I am pretty sure no one in this world will be willing to go though all those bitterness with me; so, at least, this is my very best time to concentrate on my career.

But, is this worthy?
any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation. In twenty years from now when your a doctor and you look back at your life those two years you must sacrifice to get to medical school will be insignifcant compared to all that you will have accomplished. However its a big committment and sacrifice to become a doctor. Make sure its what you want to do. Life is too short to spend it in an occupation that makes you anything less than satisfied (unless ofcourse you have children that depend on you) and you only get one chance at it, unless you are Hindu or Buddhist. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

It sounds like your depression could partially be blamed on the broken relationship. Switching career to medicine is a serious step, and I think you should probably wait until the emotional distress subsided. It is not the age that matters but rather, the pre-requistes for pre-med (have you full-filled them all?). The post-bac classes cost a fortune, and if you are not a US citizen, your chance of admission are also seriously undermined. But admissions committee might like your life-experience. But your reason of changing career must be something other than "I am not happy with my current job"; they want to see a passion in medicine rather than just an alternative. If I were you, I would look into patent law, which takes far less effort and much shorter time to be rewarded financially. Wish you good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
>>>"Currently employed full time with all 401 K benefit"

answer: 401K's aren't that impressive these days (eg Enron). Remember "the truly rich don't work for money." Don't work hard clinging to the illuision of job sercurity, the 4-week vacation each year, and a skimpy pension after 45 years of work. "Make money work for you instead." (think about that last sentence)

>>>>>"My career sounds wonderful; yet, mentally I am very depressed. I do not like the programming world, it has been more like for my work only. ( most needed person) and it's for my green card purposes. I am still waiting for my green card approval after this long four years of working time"

answer: Again "Make money work for you instead." Realize that medical school easily costs >$100,000 tuition alone not including your budget for living expenses, food, and books. This will be extremely difficult to pay for without financial assistance and you must be at least a permanent resident before being considered for loans. I would seriously consider marrying a U.S. citizen before the time you apply for financial aid (unless your family back home has enough funds to support you)

"So, I was thinking that I will still stay in my current job for next two years, so I can save up enough money for my medical school"

>>>>answer. Remember "make money work for you." You can keep your day job and continue to save money, but put the money you earn into ASSETS where money will grow on its own
and NOT into LIABILITIES (that luxury car, big-house with a 3 car garage, etc.) that will make you depend on your wages to survive.

"That's a little bit too risky. Also, I haven't even consider things might change one day such as: marriage, found quilty, handicapped after accident etc."

>>>>exactly. Medicine is a great profession; however, you must make sure that you love it so much that you would go into it even if it paid the salary of a teacher. Yes, you will have to spend at least $4000 in applying (MCAT, AMCAS, flying to interviews, etc.) and then 4 years of school (which includes being in the hospital for 36 hour shifts without pay) and an 80 hour per week residency that probably pays less than your current job. You won't be making the wonderful 6 digit salary until you're 36.... If your response to that is "i don't care, i'll still love the idea of being a doctor" then go for medicine. But if you're slightly cringing on the sacrifices you'll make then that probably shows
there's other underlying issues (you're not happy being a slave driver for your company, bitterness from your breakup, etc.) to why you want to change your career.

All i can say is in this world, we must all learn what makes us truly happy and pursue those goals. If medicine is that goal, then go for it :)

good luck!

Cornell Universtiy Alumnus
Univ. of Minnesota Med School Class of 2007

@#*&(@$ - dagnabbit, I had written this nice, long reply when Mozilla refreshed unasked-for and GONE was my nice, long reply.

Well anyway, to summarize, help2decide, my experience has been MUCH the same as yours; 5 yrs. in comp. sci., savings gone to pay for my (foreign) husbands 3 sisters' college ed., etc. I was miserable in my "perfect" job and didn't know what to do.

Brief version of my advice: shadow/follow someone in several professions that might interest you. I never would have decided upon medicine had I not done that (HATED the idea of med school and residency, still not 100% loving it although I start this Sept., LOVED what I could do with it when I finished). Picture yourself doing what the people you shadow do everyday; think about whether it's meaningful to you, intellectually challenging, pays enough, etc., etc., and whatever is important to you.

I must echo Retro when it comes to the non-citizen thing; you've got a lot against you if you don't have U.S. citizenship for med schools here. The state schools won't let you in, and you'll be competing with half the world to get the few international student spots in the few private schools that accept international students. Maybe Canada's easier? Or geting your med degree in your home country and doing residency here...

Anyway, good luck, much sympathy, and do try the shadowing.

Originally posted by daria

I must echo Retro when it comes to the non-citizen thing; you've got a lot against you if you don't have U.S. citizenship for med schools here. The state schools won't let you in, and you'll be competing with half the world to get the few international student spots in the few private schools that accept international students.

This is not completely correct. The OP says they are waiting on their green card approval. So right at this moment they are 'international'. But once they have the green card they will be a permanent resident and will be assessed and funded on the exact same basis as US Citizens - at all schools, including state schools. I assume having worked 4 years on getting their green card via this route they will be waiting till they get it before pursuing medical studies.

Thanks alot guys! I really think you are bringing up lots of things for me to consider why I choose "medicine" . I have three options: business, lawyer, and medicine. A friend of mine earned six digits as lawyer. There are lots of successful business person.

But, what cross my mind is not totally money. I like to work directly with people. I like to care for other people. I would like to help. I just feel if I do not choose medical, one day in the future, I might regret it. That's for sure...

Being a doctor is like this univesal thing, you can use it at any time, bad or good world conditions. For awhile, I was thinking of being a nurse, because I really think I would fit to work directly with people who needs my case, then my friend suggests me to go for doctor instead. I am pretty comfortable with science, except biology. The last time I took biology class was in high school. I need to take them this coming fall.
That's why I am thinking of medical school.

Btw, I am Buddhist, but this is the only life I have with all my dream even I believe there are much more to come. But, I want to do the best out of my life, things that I cannot regret by the time I close my eyes.

Originally posted by tBw
This is not completely correct. The OP says they are waiting on their green card approval. So right at this moment they are 'international'. But once they have the green card they will be a permanent resident and will be assessed and funded on the exact same basis as US Citizens - at all schools, including state schools. I assume having worked 4 years on getting their green card via this route they will be waiting till they get it before pursuing medical studies.

It takes longer time to get a green card than you might think. My wife and I are applying for PR based on the Ph.D. work done in a top US school. Well, we got our PR approval before I applied for medical school in 2001. I am still waiting for the plastic card and I will be a MS2 in the fall. I heard people with masters' degrees have to wait for even longer.

Unless you are married to a US citizen or win the green card lottery (neither Chinese nor indians can participate), it takes at least three years to finish the whole thing.

I have filed my immigration application for the last 4 years- got approved for 2 out of 3 all green card employment based requirement, I just filed the third one - GC application itself (last step in immigration, I-485- adjustment of status ) last year, expecting it be approved next year, well.. I still need to prepare for all medical school requirement within next two years, while completing all my requirement getting GC based on employment. I hope after that, I can go on with my dream.

Does one have to be a US Citizen to get financial aid? I might only be able to support myself for two years school, so, I need to get some help later...

Originally posted by tBw

My mistake, I believe tBw is correct, and permanent residency (not citizenship) is the hoop you have to jump through for admission. I was recalling the case of a well-qualified friend of mine who applied several times and was rejected, but in fact she did not have her PR when she applied. (BIG waste of time, $.) Thanks.

Originally posted by help2decide
I have filed my immigration application for the last 4 years- got approved for 2 out of 3 all green card employment based requirement, I just filed the third one - GC application itself (last step in immigration, I-485- adjustment of status ) last year, expecting it be approved next year, well.. I still need to prepare for all medical school requirement within next two years, while completing all my requirement getting GC based on employment. I hope after that, I can go on with my dream.

Does one have to be a US Citizen to get financial aid? I might only be able to support myself for two years school, so, I need to get some help later...

We filed our I-485 in Nov 2001 and received the approval notice this April (16 months through Nebraska center). It might be slower in CA, TX and NY since there are simply too many applicants out there. Then, you can bring your approval notice and passport to INS and they will issue a temporary permanent residency stamp on your passport. It will takes another 4-6 months to receive the real thing.

You only need to be a PR to apply for financial aids. I think you should be able to get yours in one or two years, so you do not have to worry about the whole green card issue. Take some time off to prepare for MCAT and do some volunteer works in local hospitals.