Should I change my major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RenaRaven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm majoring in Sociology because I thought I would get an MPH in Global Health in the future. However I took an Epidemiology class last semester and my instructor was raving, saying I should think about a career in Epidemiology. I'm also genuinely interested in Epidemiology.

So if I do want an MPH in Epidemiology should I change my major from Sociology to a more appropriate major?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really.

Though if you're considering epidemiology, it would be a good idea to take some statistics, calculus, and biology/chemistry/other sciences as electives if you have room in your schedule.

I second what cerealrhapsody suggested. If it's POSSIBLE for you to change your major to something with more science research (bio, chem, etc) without having to add extra years to your undergrad degree, there's no harm in it. However, the best option is probably just to show your interest in Epidemiology by using your electives for research lab oriented courses and math.