Should I change my mind about medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throzen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to share with you my story and I hope you can give some advise about if I should go to medical school.

I am immigrant, I came to America when I was 17 and went to bad High School. In high School I had to start in 10th grade because I did not know any English and I lost one year of my life because of it.

I graduated from High School with 3.5 GPA and 1600 SAT score, but because of bad reputation of my High School I had to go community college, where I spent 2 years and finished with 3.8 GPA. Then I was able to transfer to good 4 year College. unfortunately not all my credits were transferred and I had to retake them in my new college. Also my new college did not offer Biology classes on time and alot of students had to wait for them. Because of all these I have to stay in college one extra year.

As the result I am 2 years behind of everyone else. I am junior and thinking about going to Medical School. After so many misfortunes that happened to me I not even sure if I want to go to Medical School. I am just burn out Undergrad. I struggled so hard to make it here. I had to learn new language and adopt to new environment. I worked as much as i could to help my family.

I researched and found out that Medical School is going to be much worse and even if you make through it, there are more problems ahead of you, like financial dept and long hours of work that you wont have time to live your life. What is the point of going through 12 years of learning and training and end up in financially bad situation and work like slave for the rest of your life, so you would be able to pay off your dept. And when you pay it off, you are already too old to do anything with your life. who cares if you make more money than anyone else if you cant enjoy it and live your life. you cant take your money with you to the grave. Please Dont tell me, it is all about " helping people", because doctors are humans too, you cant make someone happy when you yourself in financial dept and unhappy.

I love science and biology and I love memorizing and helping people. I just don't know what to do. I am still thinking about going to Medical School, because my parents did so much for me and my brothers. They had to give up their life and come to America, so their children can have better life and opportunity.

I was thinking about pharmacy or dentist, but I would have to lose another year to prepare to go to pharmacy or dentistry schools and this will kill me.

Please don't tell it is my decision to make and it is up to me. I am not sure what i want to do ,because i dont know anything about medical school and doctors life. If you tell that there is higher chance of success than failure I would go to Medical School. Myabe i am depressed, because of 2 years I lost and afraid to lose more years of my life for something I am not even sure, I would be happy doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You want easy money? Don't want to work like a slave or at all? Go play the lottery. Get welfare. Spend your welfare on lottery tickets. Rinse repeat. Win a couple million and retire young.

Reactions: 5 users
You want easy money? Don't want to work like a slave or at all? Go play the lottery. Get welfare. Spend your welfare on lottery tickets. Rinse repeat. Win a couple million and retire young.
LOL, wait this career pathway requires sacrifice? I want a refund, a 6 figure salary, and my time back!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I want to share with you my story and I hope you can give some advise about if I should go to medical school.

I am immigrant, I came to America when I was 17 and went to bad High School. In high School I had to start in 10th grade because I did not know any English and I lost one year of my life because of it.

I graduated from High School with 3.5 GPA and 1600 SAT score, but because of bad reputation of my High School I had to go community college, where I spent 2 years and finished with 3.8 GPA. Then I was able to transfer to good 4 year College. unfortunately not all my credits were transferred and I had to retake them in my new college. Also my new college did not offer Biology classes on time and alot of students had to wait for them. Because of all these I have to stay in college one extra year.

As the result I am 2 years behind of everyone else. I am junior and thinking about going to Medical School. After so many misfortunes that happened to me I not even sure if I want to go to Medical School. I am just burn out Undergrad. I struggled so hard to make it here. I had to learn new language and adopt to new environment. I worked as much as i could to help my family.

I researched and found out that Medical School is going to be much worse and even if you make through it, there are more problems ahead of you, like financial dept and long hours of work that you wont have time to live your life. What is the point of going through 12 years of learning and training and end up in financially bad situation and work like slave for the rest of your life, so you would be able to pay off your dept. And when you pay it off, you are already too old to do anything with your life. who cares if you make more money than anyone else if you cant enjoy it and live your life. you cant take your money with you to the grave. Please Dont tell me, it is all about " helping people", because doctors are humans too, you cant make someone happy when you yourself in financial dept and unhappy.

I love science and biology and I love memorizing and helping people. I just don't know what to do. I am still thinking about going to Medical School, because my parents did so much for me and my brothers. They had to give up their life and come to America, so their children can have better life and opportunity.

I was thinking about pharmacy or dentist, but I would have to lose another year to prepare to go to pharmacy or dentistry schools and this will kill me.

Please don't tell it is my decision to make and it is up to me. I am not sure what i want to do ,because i dont know anything about medical school and doctors life. If you tell that there is higher chance of success than failure I would go to Medical School. Myabe i am depressed, because of 2 years I lost and afraid to lose more years of my life for something I am not even sure, I would be happy doing.
A lot of people take years off - I took 3.

And if you are going to miserable during med school, residency, and a practicing doctor - then don't do it. If it's not what YOU want to do - then don't. It's that simple. If you think 2 years is a huge sacrifice - medicine isn't for you. You won't be rolling in doctor income until your 30's.

From what I hear - I wouldn't want someone with your attitude to be one of my co-workers.

I am so, so terribly sorry for the long post. For starters, you need clinical experience. You are talking only about your past, the difficulty of medical school, and the debt/salary, but have no real experience/knowledge (from what I gather) about the actual practice I would suggest you find some doctors to shadow, across multiple specialties, and talk to them about their jobs and lifestyles. The debt is high, but so is the paycheck, *relatively speaking.* You are not going to live paycheck to paycheck long post residency (maybe not even here? I have no experience) unless you immediately buy a house and expensive car, are trying to support a family, or take on many additional non-essential materials (with attending's paycheck), and get stuck with more interest, no dents in your debt, and additional payments for the earlier-mentioned commodities. We can argue certain things in here, but my point is that, in general, as a physician, you will still be able to live comfortably.

Also, I doubt that your high school's reputation is why you didn't make it into college. I cannot say for sure, of course, but if I remember correctly from my college days, for undergraduate admissions, where you go to school as virtually zero effect on their decision, unless perhaps you apply to Harvard or other "top" schools. Even then, applying to those schools and not gaining admission is likely due to your GPA and SAT (along with ECs) relative to the highly competitive applicant pool that applies alongside you. There are just way too many high schools. You've had a very difficult journey. Not everybody is "lucky" enough to have a smoother, clearer path. You can look at it as a disadvantage (understandably), but you can also choose to see it as something that's given you more skills, life experiences, and strengths, that most of your peers do not, nor ever will, gain (although med school is a tad different...lots of people with amazing stories).

You're not "2 years behind" anybody. You're not "supposed" to or "not supposed" to be in line with anybody. You are responsible for your own track. Nobody else matters. The number of individuals that take multiple years (>4-5) off after college before applying to medical school would astonish you. I'm sorry to say, but while you are unique as a person, you are certainly not unique in this aspect. "I am still thinking about going to Medical School, because my parents did so much for me and my brothers. They had to give up their life and come to America, so their children can have better life and opportunity"-I understand that, and can empathize due to my own experiences (without giving identifying information away), but medicine is NOT the profession you do for anybody else, besides yourself. You've got the "first generation burden". Congratulations, more baggage. Put it down and unpack it. Nobody can tell you what to do with what's inside.

"I researched and found out that Medical School is going to be much worse and even if you make through it, there are more problems ahead of you,"...there are different problems ahead of you. Every career has drawbacks, whether it be financial, social, physical, or any combination of these and/or more. And medical school is going to be more difficult than your previous school, but "much worse" depends on how you look at it. I understand that you're burnt out, but, 1) it's medical school, after all, not undergrad 2.0. It is supposed to get you ready for clinicals, (well...) which is supposed to get you ready for residency (well...), which is supposed to get you ready to practice medicine as an attending (with full responsibility for the health and well-being of others); and 2) you can take a year or two off and work in a medical/clinical setting to let your brain rest, and allow you to learn about the field, make connections, and forget about "tests" for a while, aside from the MCAT.

"After so many misfortunes that happened to me I not even sure if I want to go to Medical School. I am just burn out Undergrad. I struggled so hard to make it here. I had to learn new language and adopt to new environment. I worked as much as i could to help my family." You're not alone. I suggest finding groups of friends or meet-ups that share this commonality. You'll have some classmates that share this type of experience as well, to some extent, or perhaps more. But there's no point in using the obstacles of your past as reasons of not pursuing medicine. Medicine will be tough, but it will be a different type of "tough" than what you've been through, one that your classmates will share. You need to learn about the field; speak with current physicians about their experiences, current and previous lifestyles, specialties, etc. Speak to current medical students about their lives. Shadow. Perhaps get a job at a hospital. I'm sorry, but nobody on here is going to convince you that medicine is worth it (@sat0ri : Lol. I won't say the "highs" remark again, I promise!) You don't want to hear it, but it is your decision. Not your parents'. Nor should it be guided by the baggage of your parents' decision to bring you here. They didn't bring you here to be a slave to guilt. Trust me, I went through the same thing. It's awful, but you get over it. You worked hard, and clearly took advantage of the situation, and are thankful for what they gave you. To be honest, having that history that pushes you the extra mile is an advantage. A lot of people could use that. That takes maturity and responsibility on your part. Good for you. Now it's time to find out what you actually wish to do.

For the hard and soft stuff, I again push you to: shadow physicians across multiple specialties, learning about their practice, motivations for going into medicine, results, and current lifestyles; speak to current medical students about their motivations, stories, experience thus far in medical school, etc. The point is to get clinical exposure to watch medicine practiced on the front-lines, as well as to learn about what happens in the lives of medical students and physicians, such as debt and quality (but be careful; this varies from person to person. You can look at average debt and subsequent salary, but that's only part of the story. The variables that effect these are: medical school COA, family, location of practice, speciality, experience more or less, patient population/flow, type of practice, personal characteristics/lifestyle, money managing, and more.)

"If you tell that there is higher chance of success than failure I would go to Medical School" As for "success" or failure, that's also pretty much up to you. The AAMC published a "brief" analysis of graduation and attrition rates of MD-only students, which I believe they do every year: https://www.aamc.org/download/37922...onratesandattritionfactorsforusmedschools.pdf However, again, there are a variety of factors that effect these numbers, but it gives you a rough idea that the majority of US MD-only students do end up graduating. But keep in mind that it doesn't discuss match rates (which is what really matters in the end: ~ 94% of US seniors, as a whole, matched in 2015 * source: http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-2...r-30000-residency-positions-in-4756-programs/), but it does take into account that many students take longer than four years to finish. But again, this is personal. Nobody forces you to study or do well.

Make of this what you will. But please, understand that 1) the world isn't against you; 2) where you were two years ago is not where you are today, nor is today where you will be in two, four, six, or twenty years; and 3) you need to figure out if you genuinely want to do medicine (the job), before deciding if medicine is worth it based only on the time, training, and financial constraints.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
A lot of people take years off - I took 3.

From what I hear - I wouldn't want someone with your attitude to be one of my co-workers.
A little too harsh and presumptuous, friend.

Reactions: 1 users
I am so, so terribly sorry for the long post. For starters, you need clinical experience. You are talking only about your past, the difficulty of medical school, and the debt/salary, but have no real experience/knowledge (from what I gather) about the actual practice I would suggest you find some doctors to shadow, across multiple specialties, and talk to them about their jobs and lifestyles. The debt is high, but so is the paycheck, *relatively speaking.* You are not going to live paycheck to paycheck long post residency (maybe not even here? I have no experience) unless you immediately buy a house and expensive car, are trying to support a family, or take on many additional non-essential materials (with attending's paycheck), and get stuck with more interest, no dents in your debt, and additional payments for the earlier-mentioned commodities. We can argue certain things in here, but my point is that, in general, as a physician, you will still be able to live comfortably.

Also, I doubt that your high school's reputation is why you didn't make it into college. I cannot say for sure, of course, but if I remember correctly from my college days, for undergraduate admissions, where you go to school as virtually zero effect on their decision, unless perhaps you apply to Harvard or other "top" schools. Even then, applying to those schools and not gaining admission is likely due to your GPA and SAT (along with ECs) relative to the highly competitive applicant pool that applies alongside you. There are just way too many high schools. You've had a very difficult journey. Not everybody is "lucky" enough to have a smoother, clearer path. You can look at it as a disadvantage (understandably), but you can also choose to see it as something that's given you more skills, life experiences, and strengths, that most of your peers do not, nor ever will, gain (although med school is a tad different...lots of people with amazing stories).

You're not "2 years behind" anybody. You're not "supposed" to or "not supposed" to be in line with anybody. You are responsible for your own track. Nobody else matters. The number of individuals that take multiple years (>4-5) off after college before applying to medical school would astonish you. I'm sorry to say, but while you are unique as a person, you are certainly not unique in this aspect. "I am still thinking about going to Medical School, because my parents did so much for me and my brothers. They had to give up their life and come to America, so their children can have better life and opportunity"-I understand that, and can empathize due to my own experiences (without giving identifying information away), but medicine is NOT the profession you do for anybody else, besides yourself. You've got the "first generation burden". Congratulations, more baggage. Put it down and unpack it. Nobody can tell you what to do with what's inside.

"I researched and found out that Medical School is going to be much worse and even if you make through it, there are more problems ahead of you,"...there are different problems ahead of you. Every career has drawbacks, whether it be financial, social, physical, or any combination of these and/or more. And medical school is going to be more difficult than your previous school, but "much worse" depends on how you look at it. I understand that you're burnt out, but, 1) it's medical school, after all, not undergrad 2.0. It is supposed to get you ready for clinicals, (well...) which is supposed to get you ready for residency (well...), which is supposed to get you ready to practice medicine as an attending (with full responsibility for the health and well-being of others); and 2) you can take a year or two off and work in a medical/clinical setting to let your brain rest, and allow you to learn about the field, make connections, and forget about "tests" for a while, aside from the MCAT.

"After so many misfortunes that happened to me I not even sure if I want to go to Medical School. I am just burn out Undergrad. I struggled so hard to make it here. I had to learn new language and adopt to new environment. I worked as much as i could to help my family." You're not alone. I suggest finding groups of friends or meet-ups that share this commonality. You'll have some classmates that share this type of experience as well, to some extent, or perhaps more. But there's no point in using the obstacles of your past as reasons of not pursuing medicine. Medicine will be tough, but it will be a different type of "tough" than what you've been through, one that your classmates will share. You need to learn about the field; speak with current physicians about their experiences, current and previous lifestyles, specialties, etc. Speak to current medical students about their lives. Shadow. Perhaps get a job at a hospital. I'm sorry, but nobody on here is going to convince you that medicine is worth it (@sat0ri : Lol. I won't say the "highs" remark again, I promise!) You don't want to hear it, but it is your decision. Not your parents'. Nor should it be guided by the baggage of your parents' decision to bring you here. They didn't bring you here to be a slave to guilt. Trust me, I went through the same thing. It's awful, but you get over it. You worked hard, and clearly took advantage of the situation, and are thankful for what they gave you. To be honest, having that history that pushes you the extra mile is an advantage. A lot of people could use that. That takes maturity and responsibility on your part. Good for you. Now it's time to find out what you actually wish to do.

For the hard and soft stuff, I again push you to: shadow physicians across multiple specialties, learning about their practice, motivations for going into medicine, results, and current lifestyles; speak to current medical students about their motivations, stories, experience thus far in medical school, etc. The point is to get clinical exposure to watch medicine practiced on the front-lines, as well as to learn about what happens in the lives of medical students and physicians, such as debt and quality (but be careful; this varies from person to person. You can look at average debt and subsequent salary, but that's only part of the story. The variables that effect these are: medical school COA, family, location of practice, speciality, experience more or less, patient population/flow, type of practice, personal characteristics/lifestyle, money managing, and more.)

"If you tell that there is higher chance of success than failure I would go to Medical School" As for "success" or failure, that's also pretty much up to you. The AAMC published a "brief" analysis of graduation and attrition rates of MD-only students, which I believe they do every year: https://www.aamc.org/download/37922...onratesandattritionfactorsforusmedschools.pdf However, again, there are a variety of factors that effect these numbers, but it gives you rough idea that the majority of US MD-only students do end up graduating. But keep in mind that it doesn't discuss match rates (which is what really matters in the end: ~ 94% of US seniors matched in 2015 * source: http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-2...r-30000-residency-positions-in-4756-programs/), but it does take into account that many students take longer than four years to finish. But again, this is personal. Nobody forces you to study or do well. Make of it what you will. But understand that you need to figure out if you genuinely want to do medicine, before asking if you'll make it.
Damn... OP, if reading this post doesn't help you to make up your mind I don't know what will.

Reactions: 1 user

Who keeps circulating this crap? I swear, every other day someone "reminds" me that as a physician, I'm going to be working 7am-11pm, 7 days a week and making $50,000 a year.. Haven't talked to a single doctor who says it's absolute hell and they'd never do it again. Just because things won't be "as great" as they used to be for doctors, doesn't mean things won't be great for doctors period. Plenty of physicians work decent hours, get to have a family and even get to enjoy time with that family. Almost all are financially secure and most don't have a ton of trouble paying off debt, even if it is a nuisance.

Do what you love. As @Kelevra suggests, shadow some doctors and get experience in a clinical setting. You don't need to fit the traditional model of a 4 year graduate if you're behind. Take a regular courseload, get the prereqs done and do well on the MCAT. You can get to medical school, and your story is compelling in that it suggests an ability to overcome adversity. Get a feel for the profession and see if you love it. If it turns out that you do, sacrifice will be worth it to you if it means you get the privilege of being a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users

I am an immigrant as well and went to an awful high school but I'm not going through life worrying about my past. You can't change any of that. I had to take a year off after college because my GPA was too low to apply for matriculation right after college. I have learned so much over the last year and I don't regret this decision at all. There is nothing wrong with being "behind". Everyone works at their own pace and many medical students took several years off before starting school for various reasons. You have a long road ahead if you want to become a physician, and if this is truly the career for you, you will make those sacrifices. Like others have said, I highly suggest getting some clinical experience because that is the only way to figure out if this is a career that you can handle.

I'll make it easy for you: forget about medical school. Find something else you like.

Reactions: 6 users

"If you tell that there is higher chance of success than failure I would go to Medical School" As for "success" or failure, that's also pretty much up to you. The AAMC published a "brief" analysis of graduation and attrition rates of MD-only students, which I believe they do every year: https://www.aamc.org/download/37922...onratesandattritionfactorsforusmedschools.pdf However, again, there are a variety of factors that effect these numbers, but it gives you a rough idea that the majority of US MD-only students do end up graduating. But keep in mind that it doesn't discuss match rates (which is what really matters in the end: ~ 94% of US seniors, as a whole, matched in 2015 * source: http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-2...r-30000-residency-positions-in-4756-programs/), but it does take into account that many students take longer than four years to finish. But again, this is personal. Nobody forces you to study or do well. Make of it what you will. But please understand that 1) the world isn't against you; 2) where you were two years ago is not where you are today, or is today where you will be in two, four, six, or twenty years; and 3) you need to figure out if you genuinely want to do medicine (the job), before deciding if medicine is worth it based only on the time, training, and financial constraints.

Preach it! I love this message. OP I think you aren't ready for med school even if you do decide it is for you. You are too immature. Take responsibility for your life and learn that everything in life has a cost. Pay it or don't but don't whine about it.

Who keeps circulating this crap? I swear, every other day someone "reminds" me that as a physician, I'm going to be working 7am-11pm, 7 days a week and making $50,000 a year.. Haven't talked to a single doctor who says it's absolute hell and they'd never do it again. Just because things won't be "as great" as they used to be for doctors, doesn't mean things won't be great for doctors period. Plenty of physicians work decent hours, get to have a family and even get to enjoy time with that family. Almost all are financially secure and most don't have a ton of trouble paying off debt, even if it is a nuisance.

Do what you love. As @Kelevra suggests, shadow some doctors and get experience in a clinical setting. You don't need to fit the traditional model of a 4 year graduate if you're behind. Take a regular courseload, get the prereqs done and do well on the MCAT. You can get to medical school, and your story is compelling in that it suggests an ability to overcome adversity. Get a feel for the profession and see if you love it. If it turns out that you do, sacrifice will be worth it to you if it means you get the privilege of being a doctor.

Amen to this to. If you work 80 hours a week. You probably make 500 k a year. If you make 50 k a year you probably work 8 hours a week.

Reactions: 3 users
Preach it! I love this message. OP I think you aren't ready for med school even if you do decide it is for you. You are too immature. Take responsibility for your life and learn that everything in life has a cost. Pay it or don't but don't whine about it.

Amen to this to. If you work 80 hours a week. You probably make 500 k a year. If you make 50 k a year you probably work 8 hours a week.

$6250 an hour ain't bad! lol

It's like choosing colleges.

If you choose an expensive school, you're going to be hugely in debt.
If you choose a cheap school or a school with ridiculously good financial aid, you won't have much debt.
There are some folks that graduate from med school with less debt than an undergrad...

Now, if time is a major concern and you like practicing medicine more than understanding the science behind medicine, then don't bother with an MD/DO.
Just become a PA. You do mostly the same job as doctors, get very good salary (rising too), awesome work hours (well depends which shift you choose, and get to practice semi-independently. You just can't call yourself "doctor" which is hardly a problem. And if you ever decide down the road that you want to pursue medicine as an MD/DO, you'll be able to pay for everything with your own money (because they do get very good pay)... and support your parents too.

Take it from a fellow boater, don't do it. You're doing it to help your parents .

I'd also suggest looking into PA school instead. 2 years of schooling and you can still learn a lot and work semi-independently. You will make a good salary, though not as much as you would as a physician, but you'd start making that a lot sooner. Do some research on it.

I love the myopia here. 2 years of your life is nothing in medicine. People spend that much time doing post-baccs chasing a dream that doesn't happen for 60% of applicants. Then after you get in.. 4 years of medical school. 6 years of surgical residency. LOLOLOLOL.

Moral of the story - learn to enjoy the journey or you'll either never make it there or look back with great bitterness and regret.

Reactions: 1 users
A little too harsh and presumptuous, friend.
You wanna have a co worker that has the mind set of "OMG I spent X years being miserable now I have to work X hours and X amount of my income goes to debt - and I went into this mostly because my parents made me... FML"?

You wanna have a co worker that has the mind set of "OMG I spent X years being miserable now I have to work X hours and X amount of my income goes to debt - and I went into this mostly because my parents made me... FML"?
Do you know what presumptuous means?
If so then you wouldn't have made this inane comment.

Do you know what presumptuous means?
If so then you wouldn't have made this inane comment.

There's people who use the term inane non-ironically? Well damn