Should I continue with these secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickie32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I received my MCAT score recently and it is abysmal (~mid 20's). I have decided to re-take the exam come January and so will be forgoing this year's application season.

Before receiving my score, I had added medical schools (15 actually due to FAP giving them for free) and received secondary requests for the majority of them. A lot of the schools I added were primarily schools that had low MCAT scores in states that I wouldn't mind not going (and re-applying).

Now, the question is whether I should still complete their secondaries? It's been over a month since I've received them, and I'm not sure if it'll look well on me to turn them in now with my MCAT score. However, a part of me is still thinking 'what-if I get an II?' so I'm kind of in a dilemma...

Please help? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You very likely wont get an II except mayyyybe at your state school depending on what state you live in. There is the option of DO, pending that the rest of your application is solid. A mid 20s score is not as much a death sentence for DO as it is for MD.

If your goal is to be a physician, its at least worth looking at.

...a part of me is still thinking 'what-if I get an II?' ...

Exactly my point too! Send your secondaries and run with them! Unless you get a strike from these schools for applying/not getting II, then you should definitely re-consider.

DISCLAIMER: i am a struggling pre-med student, so please take my advice with an infinitesimally grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything in your application that will make you substantially more desirable than the 'typical' applicant with your MCAT and GPA? URM, severely disadvantaged, extraordinary EC's?

On the other hand, if you do the applications now, it will be less work when you reapply, and there's a chance you'll get in this year.

do it. you''ll already be marked a reapplicant next year anyways. Most secondaries are free with FAP as well. you just need to put in some work