Should I continue with this research position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had worked in another lab for 9 months where I was only performing Western blots, cell culture, measuring protein concentraion, and PCR. I thought bench research was horribly boring (even though I understand I wasn't doing REAL research, just learning techniques, I hated going into the lab everyday). Then my molecular bio professor offered me a position in his lab last quarter, so I left my old lab thinking I would give bench research another chance and joined my prof's lab. The post doc I currently work with is so great, and I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity (since I know a lot of premeds at my uni can't even land a research position right now), but I dread going to lab everyday! I'm learning how to transform bacteria and other techniques that concern viruses, but it's still very boring to me. However, I feel like I should stay in it for awhile with the hopes of a great LOR (I am not a science major and am limited in the science profs I can ask). But is it worth it, despite not being excited about it and spending so much time every week in lab?

Members don't see this ad.

I had worked in another lab for 9 months where I was only performing Western blots, cell culture, measuring protein concentraion, and PCR. I thought bench research was horribly boring (even though I understand I wasn't doing REAL research, just learning techniques, I hated going into the lab everyday). Then my molecular bio professor offered me a position in his lab last quarter, so I left my old lab thinking I would give bench research another chance and joined my prof's lab. The post doc I currently work with is so great, and I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity (since I know a lot of premeds at my uni can't even land a research position right now), but I dread going to lab everyday! I'm learning how to transform bacteria and other techniques that concern viruses, but it's still very boring to me. However, I feel like I should stay in it for awhile with the hopes of a great LOR (I am not a science major and am limited in the science profs I can ask). But is it worth it, despite not being excited about it and spending so much time every week in lab?

How many hours a week is it? Is it affecting your performance in your courses? If you're not a science major, you may have less options for science research. Can you cut back your hours and still get a good LOR?

I'm in a similar situation where I dread going to lab everyday. While I like bench research, the research I'm conducting bores me to tears. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I'm actually quitting my lab after this semester. Think about all the other amazing activities you could be doing -- ones you enjoy and are passionate about. Also, even if you're not a science major, is it possible to take upper-level science classes at your uni? Those tend to be smaller.

Being excited about research has very little to do with loving the techniques that you use in lab.

If you want to get excited about what you are doing, you need to understand the field and your place in it. Do a thorough literature review. Talk to experts in the field, and try to understand why your lab is researching what it does. Is there a technical problem in the field that you are trying to fix? If your project is successful could that be beneficial to patients? If someone is funding your lab, there is almost certainly something interesting buried in your project. Once you find it, and you start thinking of your boring techniques as a way to dig for answers, you'll probably find it much more interesting.