Should I defer my acceptance while reapplying to my top choice school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msmm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning to reapply to my top choice DO school this cycle, but I am not sure if attending another school while reapplying would work. I am reapplying because I really want to stay in my home state (CA) for school and residency and stay close to my family and significant other. Does anyone have similar experience? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
/

Last edited:
Hi,
I am planning to reapply to my top choice DO school this cycle, but I am not sure if attending another school while reapplying would work. I am reapplying because I really want to stay in my home state (CA) for school and residency and stay close to my family and significant other. Does anyone have similar experience? Thanks!

Why did you apply OOS in the first place? Unless those reasons have changed, take your spot now and be a doctor a year sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you're allowed to reapply if you defer.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Contact a poster by the name of docnotsopc and ask him. I believe he is trying to leave his DO program for an allopathic one.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I need to have to a decent reason to admission, so I am now thinking to reapply to my top choice school while attending a school in another state. I am still applying for DO school tho.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I need to have to a decent reason to admission, so I am now thinking to reapply to my top choice school while attending a school in another state. I am still applying for DO school tho.

Just want to let you know that it is nearly impossible to transfer schools once you are in. Being homesick isn't going to be a good enough reason. Needing to be close to home to take care of a severely ill family member might be... But only if you would be in the same city.

Hi NeuroSpeed,
Yes I am aware of this. I know the possibility of transferring is small, and I am now considering reapply to my top choice school this cycle. I am ok to drop out if I get into my top choice school this coming cycle . I would like to know if there are any restrictions and if anyone have similar experience they would like to share. Thanks!

Bird in the hand is worth.....?

Hi,

I don't think it would look favorably on you at all once you actually matriculate at the other medical school. Most schools won't allow you to reapply if you defer (aka, you can't use them as a back up). Finally, if you withdrew your spot, reapplied and didn't get in, what would you do then?

This exhibits gloriously poor decision making
Agree.

OP, there is life outside of California. A few years in a new place may actually be a positive, especially if you've stayed in state your entire life up until now. You can still apply to residencies in CA even if you go to med school outside of CA. I'm doing residency in a different state than I did med school, and I'll probably do fellowship in a third state. This is very common.

It's also beyond astounding to me that you would even consider giving up a medical school acceptance in order to reapply to end up with maybe....nothing? And to be blunt, if you didn't get into your top choice school last year, what makes you think you'll have any better luck this year? Besides the fact that you don't really have time to improve your app before reapplying, you now have the added disadvantage of applying as a reapplicant who is currently attending another medical school. And you will have to send transcripts from your current med school to the one you're applying to, so it's not like you can even hide the fact that you've already matriculated into med school. It's incredibly foolish to do what you're suggesting, and I hope you'll reconsider.

Don't let this be the biggest regret of your life...

Be grateful of your opportunity (look at everyone else in the re applicant forum)
and go to your school. You don't get many second chances in this life. No offense, but basing your decision on your significant other and family makes you sound very immature. There are sacrifices in medicine, and people who get to choose where they go have choices. If you only have one choice, take the date that chose you.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP,

Didn't you get into a DO school? I know a number of people who passed up DO acceptances to re-try for an MD acceptance. It's not as uncommon as you may think. Like I said earlier, just ask for a deferral and re-apply. I'm willing to bet that most DO schools grand deferrals (although they probably was 1000 bucks for it :) )

This would also be taking a seat away from someone who applies with the intent to complete the degree at the school to which you were accepted. I would be quite upset if I were sitting on the waitlist with no other acceptances at that school knowing you intended to drop after first year.

Either give up the acceptance (bad idea) or take it and run with it.

Hi,

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's strict rules at most schools stating that if you defer you CAN NOT apply to any other program.

I think you should forfeit your spot for someone who WANTS to go. And by the way, when you do, don't bother reapplying. You're going to be turned away.