Should I disclose if my parents are dentists, even if they don't live HERE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSguyLA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
should you put down that your parent(s) are dentists even if they don't live or practice in the U.S.
I'm just worried, they'll think that since "MY" parents are dentists then I didn't haven't to work and all that crap.. but i've always had a full time job and I am putting that down on my app...

What do you guys think??

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think dental schools would have a problem with it. In fact, it may be helpful because you can discuss how much you know about the field and what it entails after having been immersed in it for most of your life. Adcoms are for the most part good about not assuming everything (also, they don't automatically accept or reject you if your parents were dentists - that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen!). Just be honest on your application and if you're really interested in the field and not just doing it because your parents did, it'll show on your app and in your PS.

Good luck applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Having parents who are dentists is to your advantage. You have first hand experience of what it takes to be a dentist and you know what you are getting into when applying to dental school. Schools want to make sure their applicants know what dentistry is and one of the easiest ways to learn that is by watching your parents do it because it gives you a realistic view of what dentistry entails professionally, financially, socially, and emotionally.

I think it depends because you could also take having parents as dentists negatively because you may have been pushed into the field w/o actually wanting it. So it could go either way. As long as you show legit interest and a good PS, that is what will make it bad or good.

I think it depends because you could also take having parents as dentists negatively because you may have been pushed into the field w/o actually wanting it. So it could go either way. As long as you show legit interest and a good PS, that is what will make it bad or good.

:thumbup:

If you have learned from their practice it could be beneficial. On the other hand, if you never stepped into their office and never watched them perform dental procedures, then you might be at the losing end.

I think it's an advantage to have a dentist-mom/dad. You have tons of opportunities to shadow/assist in a dental clinic; and therefore, you may have more experiences in a dentistry field to determine if this profession is right for you or not. :rolleyes:
Good luck !