Should I disclose the fact I play video games competitively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to list my hobbies for my committee resume, and although I'm secretly proud to be a member of my college's video game club, and be a top-ranked player in several games, I'm afraid it would hurt me because it makes me look like a giant nerd.

Should I include it? I mean video games are sort of like a sport and people aren't afraid of putting that.

I was tempted to put, "Club responsibilities include wiping the floor with noobs and drinking the tears of my opponents."

(joke, I'd obviously make it sound better than that! If you think I should include it at all. Would show a ton of team work and leadership skills.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say no. Medicine is still a conservative profession, and most wouldn't approve of video games or e-sports as a legitimate EC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh, I guess I won't. Still, my resume is seriously lacking on leadership and team work, and I frequently employ both on a weekly basis. In combat situations. Seems a shame that because of the conservative nature of the process, I can't include that experience.

Sigh, I guess I won't. Still, my resume is seriously lacking on leadership and team work, and I frequently employ both on a weekly basis. In combat situations. Seems a shame that because of the conservative nature of the process, I can't include that experience.

Well I actually think it would depend on the rest of your application. If you have solid/great MCAT and GPA, club activities and ECs on top of the video game one, then putting the game club be neutral-good or so I'd think. If you have average stats and put gaming like it s a central part of your CV/life - that might be bad

In any case if it were me I wouldn't emphasize it, esp the fact that I'm ranked (if I had to emphasize anything it would be the hobby and leadership aspects)...like I said that's just what I'd do since I'm more conservative in my approach.

I'd think they would be more concerned about you gaming when you should be studying for Step 1, lol.

If you're in a legitimate, on-campus gaming club and have some leadership experience in it... then sure. Not all members of the medical community are against gaming as they are human beings... and they are putting elements of gaming consoles into psychiatric treatments.

Just make sure you can extrapolate it to clinical relevance in your primary application. And no 1337 language.

So, what hobbies are safer? I mean I fish a lot. Is that worth mentioning? I have a lot of hobbies that have nothing to do medicine. I write poems, I'm published.

Is that a bad thing to put? Does it look like I might pursue writing when I just want to be a doctor?

Think of it as a resume, sir.

Yeah, but we always hear how they lived interviewing "so and so" because they had such unique hobbies, like scuba diving. Fishing might suck as a hobby, but I'm trying to stand out here, but trying to stand out to a conservative organization is hard. Especially when they want you to stand out in an ambiguous way.

They will probably see it as you mentioning you're a "professional yo-yo artist," or that you've won an eating contest. It's mildly fascinating but not terribly impressive. While being a competitive gamer may take more skill and commitment than those analogies, I doubt they'll appreciate that... most docs are old-fashioned and see games as child's play.

No, I wouldn't do it. I think you should keep it off your application, at the very least. If you walk into an interview with someone who seems like they'd appreciate video games, then you could mention it if it comes up. Otherwise, I'd steer clear of it.

Last edited:
I have to list my hobbies for my committee resume, and although I'm secretly proud to be a member of my college's video game club, and be a top-ranked player in several games, I'm afraid it would hurt me because it makes me look like a giant nerd.

Should I include it? I mean video games are sort of like a sport and people aren't afraid of putting that.

I was tempted to put, "Club responsibilities include wiping the floor with noobs and drinking the tears of my opponents."

(joke, I'd obviously make it sound better than that! If you think I should include it at all. Would show a ton of team work and leadership skills.)

I disclosed to students that I was an avid reader of a specific genre of comic books. She thought it was awesome as no one she'd interviewed said something like that. In her eyes it made me more unique/human. I'd mention I was a competitive gamer if that were the case. I think it depends on who you say it to, but your mileage may vary.

I reckon the large majority of medical school students are nerds. Two schools I visited had SSB in their student lounge.

I'll disagree with others and say that if your involvement is substantial and by "top ranked" you mean globally, then I would include it. You do run the risk that people may not take it seriously, but if you're a top player in the US or the world then that demonstrates a commitment to an activity as well as the ability to excel in it. Yes, it's a bit non-traditional, but I wouldn't be concerned about being shunned. If my "top player" you just mean within your college community, then I don't think that's worth mentioning.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with an anesthesiologist who put down that he was an avid fisherman, specifically for sharks, during his application process. He still to this day believes that disclosing that information made him stand out enough to get accepted to medical school. I also know a department head at a top 5 hospital in the country that wakes up at 3am all fall to fish before work. Fishing is awesome.

I'm an avid surfer, most conservative people would picture your typical surfer as an idiot/stoner/social outcast (a stereotype that is largely based in reality). I've competed nationally and travelled internationally and have brought this up in all of my interviews so far, because I can speak about it coherently and I don't let it define me, it has been accepted extremely positively and, in my opinion, has set me apart enough to get acceptances. Don't change who you are for this process, it will show through the façade, just be aware of how you're perceived and show that your hobbies set you apart. As was previously said, if your MCAT and GPA are borderline, I would tread carefully because most will read into the mediocre stats as a result of your gaming.

Reactions: 2 users
We have a female in my class who is big into bass fishing, a male who is a big wave surfer, and plenty of other people with different interests. The two I just mentioned definitely put those interests in their app. As previously said, it's a club and an activity you're committed to, not just an "I play assassins creed a lot" type thing. You're not doing anything socially unacceptable here and it's a genuine insight into who you are. Do you think the committees are (for the most part) looking for real people from the real world who have made a career choice, or a bunch of cookie cutter applicants who all did the same things in order to look competitive?

To give some insight, we have had two different surgical residency presentations. In both instances, the program representative specifically stated that they look for folks with hobbies that foster manual dexterity, including video games.

If you were nationally competitive I would say absolutely emphasize yourself as a competitive gamer, but no I'd just save that for conversation. You can however mention that you are in the club.

Reactions: 1 user
It's an EC and I would list it as such. If you're competitive in your college, then I wouldn't talk that much about it, but if nationally then definitely discuss it a bit.

Do you guys talk about the history of games and review things as well, i.e. console technology, programming of games, etc., because that could make it look better. I'd word it carefully because you don't want to make it sound that it's just you and a few friends hanging out and gaming.

Good luck!

There are several negative stereotypes about avid video gamers. (Anti-social, nerdy, misogynistic, obsessive, potentially irresponsible) If the rest of your application makes it clear that the negative stereotypes don't apply to you, and you can spin your club leadership in ways that show leadership, teamwork, social connections (real-life), developing skills, building business acumen, etc. -- then I'd cautiously approve. he other hobbies you mentioned were different enough in nature that you don't sound like 'socially awkward gamer-guy'. But recognize that there is risk -- If you've got a few really bad grades, there may be a tendency to attribute them to "probably stayed up all night gaming instead of studying.

It's unfortunate that gaming has a negative connotation. I played Halo 3 professionally; that game is no joke. It takes more critical thinking, wit, and team work skills than almost any physical sport.
If only adcoms could appreciate a 1 v 4 clutch come back in slayer game type, on Gaurdian, with 50s in MLG.

Reactions: 3 users
If you play for a famous team like Evil Geniuses, it may be worth mentioning. Otherwise, probably not.

I wouldn't.

ADCOMs judge us partially based on maturity, and there is still a bias within conservative society that video games aren't as mature of an activity.

If you're not a borderline candidate i would put it. Who would decline someone for making money (just so happens to be video games)? Would you be afraid to put that you were a cheerleader on your application? Its a University recognized club at your school don't allow hearsay on these forums keep you from allowing the adcoms to know who YOU are rather than the cookie cutter "they want".

But hey, i'm only a pre med so I don't have the knowledge to tell you that every adcom is not a conservative and thinks the exact same way about everything. But how realistic does that sound to you OP?

Yeah, but we always hear how they lived interviewing "so and so" because they had such unique hobbies, like scuba diving. Fishing might suck as a hobby, but I'm trying to stand out here, but trying to stand out to a conservative organization is hard. Especially when they want you to stand out in an ambiguous way.

What I meant to say was to keep it professional. Hence the no "1337" language.

There were people who matriculated from my university with rock-climbing and biking. They've made the obvious connections with medicine such as resilience, determination, and self improvement. However, they also participated in fund-raisers for those activities to show community involvement and altruism.

In the end, it really depends on how you portray/describe it in your application. Since gaming tends to have negative connotations, it'll be a gamble. You're going to have to put extra work into making this an attractive entry for conservative adcoms. Just make sure your other extracurriculars stand out so you're in safe waters.

Society generally views Fishing, rock climbing, surfing, etc differently from video gaming

Not bashing, but if you disclose it steer away from saying that this EC requires you to employ leadership "in combat situations".

none of these scrubs understand
dota is love
dota is life

but seriously, don't put it on there. nobody but us geeks who have logged thousands of hours have any appreciation for the depth of it when you play competitively with good friends.

nah SC2 doesn't have much american following and COD is for ages 13 and under
idk Competitive COD seems like its becoming a thing for highschoolers. sadly its the worst of the major console shooter games ( Gow AND halo are much better )

Hmm... saying you play competitive league may work against you no matter how you spin it since they have a bad rep for being the most toxic of gaming communities.

idk Competitive COD seems like its becoming a thing for highschoolers. sadly its the worst of the major console shooter games ( Gow AND halo are much better )

Halo is an FPS for kangaroos. The whole multiplayer experience is just spamming the jump button.

It's unfortunate that gaming has a negative connotation. I played Halo 3 professionally; that game is no joke. It takes more critical thinking, wit, and team work skills than almost any physical sport.
If only adcoms could appreciate a 1 v 4 clutch come back in slayer game type, on Gaurdian, with 50s in MLG.

Those times... :love::love:

If it's a hobbies section, it's completely fine to put video games.
In applying for residency programs there is a hobbies section on ERAS and people put video games, guitar, etc. Nothing wrong with that and often interviewers ask you about them to create small talk.

In the OR the other day one of the attendings asked one of the residents if she played video games because she was doing well during a lap case and when she said yes she did. The attending replied, that's great, keep up the good work, it seems to be helping with your hand eye coordination.

I don't think you'll get rejected from med school for saying one of your hobbies is video games.

Halo is an FPS for kangaroos. The whole multiplayer experience is just spamming the jump button.
Perhaps the new Halos are?
Halo 3 objectively required high levels of skill. The ability to strafe, jump, and out BR people allowed for wide gaps in player skill. Your complaint tells me you were a total noob (if you ever played).
I would advise you to not comment on things you know nothing about; it will save you a lot of heartache and embarrassment on these forums.

This is a tough call and I really can't say one way or the other

At this point I'd probably say certain people could definitely benefit from mentioning it, but not necessarily the players. Like a professional commentator, editor, translator, or producer would probably get taken more seriously, but the person winning prize pools or coaching those individuals probably wouldn't be, if that makes any sense.

It seems backwards, but it is what it is...

Perhaps the new Halos are?
Halo 3 objectively required high levels of skill. The ability to strafe, jump, and out BR people allowed for wide gaps in player skill. Your complaint tells me you were a total noob (if you ever played).
I would advise you to not comment on things you know nothing about; it will save you a lot of heartache and embarrassment on these forums.

Wow. Anyway, you can tell who the halo junkies are when they try jumping all over the place in other multiplayer shooters.

Are recreational sports safe to list under hobbies/teamwork/leadership or would they be viewed as unprofessional?

On one hand, I started in hobbies I liked watching japanese anime and did recreative Figure ice skating. The first one, a nerdy hobbie that conservative fields such as medicine still view as something for kids even though a good deal of attending doctors I know saw the new Dragon Ball Z movie in theaters.
On the other hand I practiced an unusual sport that not a lot of people can do that requires an insane amount of coordination, balance, flexibility and not to mention persistence since it can take you over 5 years of constant practice to get even remotely decent at it. I got in at the only med school I applied so to say the least my hobbies at least didn't hurt me. I don't recall either hobbie being mentioned at my interview, but it's been over 10 years and I forget things.

I don't see why you consider fishing to be a "dull" or "unoriginal" hobby. I've never, ever, ever, ever met one single doctor that hunts and goes fishing recreatively. I know a few doctors that own a horse and go horseback riding in their ranch on the weekend and a male nurse who owns a farm and tends to his cattle everyday. I personally enjoy fishing, but I know absolutely nobody that cares about the hobby and it's kind of a thing I don't want to be doing alone because I hate it when people see me doing something contemplative and just "HAVE" to go over to start an unwanted chit chat conversation of why I'm white or if I want to marry the first dope walking around the pond. No gracias nahualito!

I think you have to put a thin line on the videogame competitiveness thing though. Many doctors play videogames, I love playing Pokemon games and my So was playing this game called Army of Two or whatever it was called last night, most doctors that are under age 60 which are going to be the majority of doctors you will end up working with from the retirement of the older crop will be familiar with games because they played some of them as kids. So no, mentioning videogames as member of a university club will not sound weird.

However I agree that if your GPA isn't stellar, they might assume you spend all night playing instead of studying and could reject you right there for an equally good applicant that has other hobbies. Mentioning you have published poetry books sounds impressive, not a lot of guys write poetry these days much less actually publish their work.

On a final footnote, while playing a console is good for hand yo eye dexterity, please remember the world is getting filled with a plague called obesity. If you don't look athletic they will assume if you weigh X pounds now while you are in your 20's you will probably get your first heart attack by 40. They will not overly mention that because it's illegal but the discrimination is there. Not so much because you are a money liability for a hospital but more because of the image you must show to your patients. It just doesn't look good when a patient spots their hospitalist smoking and eating french fries outside, has a nice little girth on his belly and the first thing the doctor tells him during rounds is that the patient has to lose weight and eat better. There is still a lot of hush hush silence from doctors having bad life habits now, but in years to come when doctors themselves will be costing their hospitals good cash for their own healthcare hospitals will have a valid excuse to give a little bone to nibble on for doctors that stay fit. There are private hospitals in Texas that won't hire doctors that actively smoke and technically it's a gray area of legality.

If you stay fit, do exercise, have a good GPA and mention you play videogames in regional competitions then I think it will be ok.
so much says so little