Should I do a post-bac/SMP or get a job during my Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mary3x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied to medical school this cycle and it doesn't look like I'm going to get in. I have a competitive GPA (3.87) but my Mcat (506) really screwed me. I'm thinking of what to do during my gap year and I have interviews at a clinical research job and match corps. However, I've also heard about how some post-bac/SMP programs are really successful in getting applicants accepted to medical school like BU. I was wondering if a post-bac would be worth it for me since I already have a good GPA or if I should just focus on getting a better Mcat score.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA doesn't require an SMP. Your best bet would be to get a job and retake your MCAT.

It would help to know where you applied and got IIs at and what state you are a resident of.

You have to ask yourself what improvements you made since the last app cycle. Like gonnif said you cant assume this is an MCAT issue only. 3.9/29 is sufficient for plenty of state schools and some lower tiers in the US, there's more going on here than just a numbers issue.

In this case I would really only start giving consideration to a post-bacc/SMP linkage if after another app cycle and MCAT retake you still cant find an acceptance. And even then, consideration and actually doing one of these programs are two completely different things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Tufts, BU, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, UConn, Drexel, Vermont, Wright State, and UMass. I'm from MA and the only school I got an interview at was UMass (my state school).

I guess in hindsight I should applied to more lower-tier medical schools. My ECs, have 100+ clinical volunteering, bunch of leadership positions in clubs, campus jobs, and a medical brigade to Ghana. I also have extensive research and presented a poster at SfN. I plan to call all the schools that will reject me in April but I really think my Mcat and applying in August (took the mcat in july this summer) screwed me.

ty for all the advice

Hi all,

I applied to medical school this cycle and it doesn't look like I'm going to get in. I have a competitive GPA (3.87) but my Mcat (506) really screwed me. I'm thinking of what to do during my gap year and I have interviews at a clinical research job and match corps. However, I've also heard about how some post-bac/SMP programs are really successful in getting applicants accepted to medical school like BU. I was wondering if a post-bac would be worth it for me since I already have a good GPA or if I should just focus on getting a better Mcat score.
You don't need a post-bac or an SMP. Those fix a bad GPA, which is not your problem.
You have a marginally low (but still in the acceptable range) MCAT.
You'd improve your chances the most by retaking the MCAT and doing well.
Apply to more low-tier schools like you said.