Should I do a postbac or SMP or just work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LowGPAMarylandDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So basically i have a 3.4ishGPA and almost a 3.2 sci gpa (like 3.17). I have a 22AA on my DAT and am applying this summer

Im trynna prepare for the chance that I dont get accepted obviously. I'm going to be graduating in the fall and am taking science courses to boost my gpa before I finish!

Next sem Im taking all upper level bios (2 400s, 1 300 level lab, and then an anatomy course thats 200 level)

According to my calculations, I should finish undergrad (4.5 years tho), with a 3.52 oGPA and a 3.3 bcp gpa (like a 3.32 science)

Would it be worth applying for a post bac, or should I just try and work as a research assistant or dental assistant or something in the spring and prepare for a reapplication next summer if I need to?

Im only asking cuz I have a history of iffy grades. 1 D, retook to a B. 3 Cs, retook 1 to an A. All in bio/chem courses. So I still have 2 Cs, biochem and cell bio

What do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

This is the third time you posted asking for pretty much the same advice and this time you managed to bump the 3.1 to a 3.2. And if your calculations are correct and you could manage to get a 3.3 later I would say you are good.
If you don't get accepted....
Do a SMP over a post bacc 100%. Dental schools want you to move forward, and retaking classes is not moving forward.
Other than that, everything else is up to you.

Reactions: 1 users
So for now just focus on making sure to hit that 3.3 and hope it all works out? Im thinking I might be able to send an academic update as well and POSSIBLE get accepted this cycle later on (post Dec 1).

If I do end up not getting accepted, would you recommend I reapply again before the SMP?
Id have a higher GPA to begin with the second time around because of my fall semester grades. Also, I plan to work as a research assistant (which would be my first ever research experience), so I guess that'd be a boost too?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for now just focus on making sure to hit that 3.3 and hope it all works out? Im thinking I might be able to send an academic update as well and POSSIBLE get accepted this cycle later on (post Dec 1).

If I do end up not getting accepted, would you recommend I reapply again before the SMP?
Id have a higher GPA to begin with the second time around because of my fall semester grades. Also, I plan to work as a research assistant (which would be my first ever research experience), so I guess that'd be a boost too?

I truely believe you can get in this year with a 3.3 and a 22 dat. An SMP with a decent gpa? Not too sure about it. That's a lot of money. Getting a research assistant job or becoming a dental assistant imo is more worthwhile.

I'm in a similar position but I don't think an smp is needed if you already have a 3.5? Yeah the science is below avg with a 3.3, but a high dat should make up for it?

Idk others can comment too I guess, but it seems like a lot of $ for no reason

I'm in the same boat as you and decided that a SMP is not worth the money (plus I can't afford). I'm sitting at a 3.28 with a 21AA so very similar to you. I believe getting clinical experience will have significance moving forward for you.

Hmm alright then. What GPA would you guys recommend someone to take an SMP for? Like I know if its below 3.0, they recommend doing a post bac first. But I was wondering what is the general range that an SMP might be needed?