Should I do Honours and/or a BSc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azure1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently at a crossroads in my life about what I want to do in life and it is unfortunately becoming more frustrating each day. If anyone would be so kind to perhaps guide me in the right direction, I would be grateful. This is rather a long post so I apologize in advance.

About me:

I'm a 21 year old male international student currently studying in a Canadian university.

This is the 3rd or 4th time that I've changed my degree but most recently I was pursuing a BA in Psychology (to eventually become a clinical psychologist). About a year ago I had decided that in fact I wanted to go to medical school, and thus I was pursuing a BSc (as of then, I had not completed any science courses whatsoever) - the science courses really interested me, especially chemistry but also biology.

The university i'm in has a rather large neurobiology department and I currently volunteer in one of the labs a few hours during the school year. I find this research interesting. However, I don't think I would be cut out to do this for the rest of my life, which is one of the reasons I wanted to go into medicine.

All was going swimmingly as I was pursuing medicine, I had a clear goal and I was extremely motivated to get there. Then, like a bomb, I realized (or rather was made to realize) that medicine was probably not the best occupation for me as I am prone to being depressed and I don't think I would be able to cope with the pressures that are required during residency and/or medical school (despite having otherwise excellent grades etc).

This leads me to my current dilemma.

If i wanted to I could graduate right now with a BA. To complete a BSc degree, I still have two physics courses remaining and I was planning to also do an honors degree in the meantime.

Another problem is that many of the programs that I'm interested in as of right now (pharmacy or maybe law) are exclusively for permanent residents of Canada, as an international student, this is of great concern to me as it would mean more months of waiting before I could apply to something that i'm interested in. If i were to graduate now with a BA, depending on the time it takes to process my application I would be able to apply to these schools within two years.

If I were to do an extra year to complete my BSc, i may have more options open to me but also It would take maybe three years to be able to apply somewhere.

If I do graduate right now with a BA, I anticipate of getting a job as a research assistant somewhere.

I guess what i'm asking is whether it is worth doing this extra year for honors and to get a BSc in psychology.

I'm not as of right now closed to the idea of doing clinical psychology or medical school (if I end up mustering the ability to handle it), which is why I thought I should do it. But, a part of me, is fatigued with school (i've been in university for 5 years I started when i was 17).

Sorry i feel that this post may haved turned out to be an emotional rant from a distraught person. I apologize in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't waste another year until I figured out what it is that I want to do with my degree. Medicine, psychology, pharmacy, law? These are all very different fields. Are you wanting the easiest, most convenient path for what you have accomplished to date, or which is it that you have the most interest in at the present time? Figure this out, and then determine what it will take to pursue it.

The BS will not be a deal breaker for anything. It can help sure, but it wont really change much in terms of getting in anywhere. The honor thesis might.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Another problem is that many of the programs that I'm interested in as of right now (pharmacy or maybe law) are exclusively for permanent residents of Canada."

This is not true. Many (if not most) of these programs take international students. The tuition fees will likely be much higher, however (possibly unmanageably so).

Thanks so much for your replies.

That's what I was thinking.. maybe by working I can get a handle about what exactly I want to do.

And as for the programmes, medicine / pharmacy require permanent residency.

As for psychology, I won't be eligible for government funding.

Law is the only one that allows international students to apply but at 25k as opposed to 4k, It's not worth the difference.

Does anyone know whether working as a research assistant would be good enough in lieu of the honors year (and BSc), if I eventually head that route.

That's what I was thinking.. maybe by working I can get a handle about what exactly I want to do.

Law is the only one that allows international students to apply but at 25k as opposed to 4k, It's not worth the difference.

Does anyone know whether working as a research assistant would be good enough in lieu of the honors year (and BSc), if I eventually head that route.

If it is stellar research and your name is on papers, it will have far more weight than the BS, cant speak for the honors

There are plenty of folks who don't have "honors" experience (or who even had it as an option). There are plenty of folks who work as RAs after graduating undergrad. They're usually considered more competitive in general (given that it's appropriate experience, etc.).

There are plenty of folks who don't have "honors" experience (or who even had it as an option). There are plenty of folks who work as RAs after graduating undergrad. They're usually considered more competitive in general (given that it's appropriate experience, etc.).

Great. Thanks!

I should have maybe specified I also am diagnosed with ADD (if it already isn't apparent).

If you're looking at schools in Canada for clinical psych, you will probably need the honours thesis, as a lot of schools require it (or the equivalent experience, which is much harder to qualify for). One of my profs said that the CPA might be changing the rules so you'll definitely need an honours thesis to apply. And even if you decide that clinical psych isn't for you, it'll still look good on applications to other professional programs, like med and law.

Whether you do a BA or BSc doesn't matter much, as they're not picky in clinical, but if you're thinking of med, those science classes will be super helpful (and count as prerequisites).

I just graduated from a Canadian university (with both a BSc and with honours), so feel free to PM me if you have questions.

FacelessMage is right. I also graduated from a canadian university with a BA honours, and it was necessary for admission to my canadian clinical program. Feel free to PM me as well. Honours is highly recommended... if it's a good, two-year thesis, you gain invaluble knowledge, letters, and perhaps even some pubs and presentations (I did).