Should I do it? BME Major, freshman, female muslim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musliminmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, or salaam, if you are muslim as well :)

Well, ever since I was young I have had a very strong sense of compassion and a drive for learning. I am an artist, and am quite useful with my hands, so I thought that maybe engineering would be the best bet for me! Not just any engineering, but Biomedical Engineering, mainly because it just seemed interesting and I like the fact that it had some overlap with the medical field.

I graduated 2nd in my high school class, with an IB degree, but the family had to move b/c dad lost his job and found a new one in a different city, yada yada. Now that I have almost completed my first year of college, I am really doubting myself.

I am taking MATLAB this semester, and I really don't like it. And it's really making me doubt myself as an engineer. First off, I only decided to do BME b/c I thought it was a field that would pay well, I believed that my math skills were adequate, and it seems interesting enough, but not because I had a real "passion" for it. But now... idk.

I have been considering medical school more and more these past few weeks, because of a few reasons:

1. I love my biology class (Bio 2), even though the teacher is really boring, lol.
2. Engineering doesn't seem that appealing
3. I really want to help people
4. Religious inspiration
5. The idea of being a doctor makes me really excited, and it really motivates me.

I will be volunteering at a clinic this summer, and I will be taking a few summer courses b/c I am a bit behind in my degree plan (honors college made me take extra classes that I don't really need but it was an honors requirement).

I told my parents about my wavering feelings, and my parents weren't very excited... (btw, they are pakistani, lol). My mom said to me that she believes if I do this, my chances of entering med school is only about 20%-30%. My dad told me to have an "easy life".

The biggest issue for me is that I am a female muslim. Muslim females going into medicine already seems problematic enough (due to all the physical contact w/ the opposite sex), but the issue of me getting married, being able to have kids... I feel that my life will come to a stop if I decide to go to medical school. I know this is a sacrifice, but I was hoping to hear any stories or advice regarding other female muslims who decided to become MDs.

Another issue is that I am a BME undergrad. The GPA for this major isn't too hot ... and the program at my school isn't even accredited. I've only completed on semester, and I got a GPA of 3.75 b/c I was working during the time, took 7 credit hours of stupid honors classes that I really didn't need but was forced to take, and the transition to a new city, no friends, etc, etc. I think doing engineering while on the premed track will hurt me in the long run. I am thinking about changing majors, but I am worried that if I do change my major to something biology related, and I DONT get into med school... then what? What are some options for me?

I honestly don't know if this is the best path for me, though I do feel passionate about it. I want to take a few more classes, volunteer over the summer, and give myself a few months to think before making my decision to switch my major. For me, this is a sacrifice and a decision that will impact the rest of my life. Not many people around me have been supportive of my decision, though my mother does think I am capable. I also feel extremely behind other students, because I haven't been involved on campus since I live 20 miles away and spent around 1.5 hours a day just driving to school.

I did well in high school because I worked really hard, and my teachers have told me that I am bright. I just have a hard time believing it myself. What if I fail? What if I don't get into medical school? What if I lose all those years of my life studying for nothing? Will I be able to get married? Can I have kids before I am 30?

If there are any female muslims out there, pleasseeee pm me! I have so many questions and concerns, and any advice helps. IF you read this long post, thank you so much. I know I am being ranty, but I have no support system here, and hardly any friends. It's really hard to stay motivated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to have to figure out how to deal with your parents, and ultimately decide if you're able to do things without their blessing/support (such as pursuing medicine). This is the biggest issue I see in regard to this whole situation: the influence of your parents on you. You're also going to have to figure out for yourself if doing a physical exam on a male patient is too much for you. Plenty of devout Muslim females pursue medicine, however, and plenty get married while they are in medical school.

I'd suggest staying in your BME major and doing the best you can while following the pre-med track. This way, you have a fallback plan.

Ultimately, it all comes down to figuring these things out for yourself. Good luck!

Switch to a Biology major and if you don't get in to med school, apply to PA school. I'm majoring in biology and even though I know I will never work with it, I see it as an investment for medical school. It is also an investment to PA school, pharmacy school, dental school. You can really do a lot w/ a biology degree if you KNOW you are going to attend a graduate school and not stop there.

Reactions: 4 users
It sounds like you have a lot to figure out for yourself. Not that I don't have an opinion, but I think you need to really think about what you want out of life. There are a lot of compromises you will have to make to go into medicine and you need to decide if that's what you want. This applies to your religious reasons as well.

If you do decide that medicine is something you want to do, then I can offer some advice for that. I did engineering for my undergrad and absolutely loved it. The things I learned with my degree opened up so many doors for my future. But, you must accept that you will be extremely busy, you will take class year round to meet the pre-reqs of your degree and for medical schools (I had to take 2 summer classes each year and a winter semester), and you will graduate with a lower gpa than most applicants. However, once you reach medical school, you will be well adjusted to the amount of work expected of you and should be just fine. Also, engineering is a solid backup plan if you don't get in.

Ultimately, you need to decide what you want to do with your life and let everything else just fall into place. It seems like the stress of all of this is overwhelming you and the opinions of others are taking a toll on you. This is your life and you should do what will make you happy!

Reactions: 1 user
This is 2014. Do what you want to do. You are an adult now; do not let negativity (even from your parents) interfere with your professional goals. You can be a good Muslim and a good doctor (seriously, look at the hundreds of top doctors simply in the U.S. who are Muslim).

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think a 3.75 GPA is bad at all. Isn't the average allo med school applicant GPA around 3.7-3.8?

I agree that BME probably has better career opportunities out of college than bio but ultimately agree with others that you need to figure out what you want independent of your parents.

My other suggestion though if you really want to prioritize having a family, is to look into other healthcare fields that don't have as long of a training time - like PA, OT, PT, NP, SLP, CRNA, etc. There are plenty of women doctors out there who are married and have kids, so I'm not saying that is not possible, but you seem worried about the time/training so those might be other options to consider, too, while you are looking into the field anyway.

I told my parents about my wavering feelings, and my parents weren't very excited... (btw, they are pakistani, lol). My mom said to me that she believes if I do this, my chances of entering med school is only about 20%-30%. My dad told me to have an "easy life".

Your mom's wrong. Your dad is right, if you're not set on medicine then don't do it. It's not easy.

The biggest issue for me is that I am a female muslim. Muslim females going into medicine already seems problematic enough (due to all the physical contact w/ the opposite sex), but the issue of me getting married, being able to have kids... I feel that my life will come to a stop if I decide to go to medical school. I know this is a sacrifice, but I was hoping to hear any stories or advice regarding other female muslims who decided to become MDs.

There are plenty of doctors that are married and have kids. Not sure why you think that can't be done.

I am thinking about changing majors, but I am worried that if I do change my major to something biology related, and I DONT get into med school... then what? What are some options for me?

You don't need to change your major. Finish your degree while taking the pre-reqs for med school and studying for the MCAT. Then you can change your mind and work in BME if you wish.

I honestly don't know if this is the best path for me, though I do feel passionate about it. I want to take a few more classes, volunteer over the summer, and give myself a few months to think before making my decision to switch my major. For me, this is a sacrifice and a decision that will impact the rest of my life. Not many people around me have been supportive of my decision, though my mother does think I am capable. I also feel extremely behind other students, because I haven't been involved on campus since I live 20 miles away and spent around 1.5 hours a day just driving to school.

You keep saying what a sacrifice it is. Yeah, you're sacrificing the "best" years of your life to studying your brains out and working 80 hour weeks for below minimum wage. But it's also a privilege to get into med school.

Will I be able to get married? Can I have kids before I am 30?

Yes. Yes.

If it's possible, find a female mentor who can help you wade through these decisions, for it's going to be tricky. I don't know if school is paying for your tuition, or your parents, but I don't want to see you putting yourself in an awkward situation if your parents try to withhold paying tuition/sending you to college until you accept their demands (I've seen that happen).

I say stick with BME for now, but also do pre-med reqs, gaining exposure through volunteering at a hospital, possibly doing research with a professor, and whatever activities you can "dip" into to give you an idea about medicine. If you can't stand BME, for it's too challenging, staying caught up with the material is causing you health issues and much stress, and it feels like a true dead-end to you, switch the major to something you can manage and find engaging, for if you do figure out that you're willing to make the sacrifice

And yes you can get married, have children. Women in the medical field such as Pardis Sabeti and Laurie Glimcher have done so.

Also, I don't if this will help, but check out the L'Oreal-UNESCO International Awards page of its recipients. It's for women in science, and has a wide array of women from around the world who've done significant contributions; maybe reading the research they've done might give you ideas on how to go about your path as well, for there is not just one path to do things.

http://www.loreal.com/Foundation/Article.aspx?topcode=Foundation_AccessibleScience_WomenExcellence_U

Finally, I wanted to ask how do you define passion b/c a passion for something might not come until you've really come to understand what you're doing and are gaining rare, valuable skills in what you're learning.

You're going to have to figure out how....Good luck!

I have been sort of arguing with my mom, but it's nothing really serious. I know she is just concerned because she wants me to be able to get married, and "enjoy life" rather than just studying for something I may or may not succeed in. And I agree about the parents having a big infuence on me. I would have been able to go out of state to another undergrad college, but was pretty much forced to stay close to home because they wanted me near them, which I understand. However, I have been trying to make them understand that this is MY life and if I want to devote several years of it studying, then I will.

Having to do a physical on a male isn't going to be a problem because I know that I have to do it, there is no way around it! Lol. I am just concerned about me having to take my shirt off or something during some class in medical school. And you are right, hopefully I can manage a familiy and medicine, many others have done it!

Thank you! And you are right. I am going to spend my summer reseraching more about medical, volunteering, and going to summer school, so hopefully I can make a decision before the start of my sophomore year.

Switch to a Biology major and if you don't .....

Awesome, those sound like great options. Even with BME, I know that undergrad isn't going to be enough and I plan on going to graduate school no matter what.

Here are a relevant discussions you might like to read th.....

Thanks for the links! The Hijabs in the OR seems like a really bad discussion though. Some people refer to people's religious beliefs as "superstitions"? That's really offensive, lol.

It sounds like you have a l...

Totally, and I plan on doing some "soul-searching" this summer so I can make a decision! And as for religious compromises, I don't think I am really compromising anything. Its' OTHERS in the muslim community that might not agree with my decision, even though I want to do what I want to do, lol.

That's great, I hope to do that, but I'm not 100% sure if I even like engineering... I want to go another semester in BME and decide whether or not to switch then. ANd you are right about the year-round studying, I am taking two classes this summer myself! :p

You are totally right. ALthought my parents mean a lot to me, I have been trying to make them understand that this is MY life and and I can do whatever I want to make me happy. Thank you!!

Switch to a Biology major and if you don't get in to med school, apply to PA school. I'm majoring in biology and even though I know I will never work with it, I see it as an investment for medical school. It is also an investment to PA school, pharmacy school, dental school. You can really do a lot w/ a biology degree if you KNOW you are going to attend a graduate school and not stop there.

Bio isn't an "investment" in grad school. You could switch out bio with literally any other major that allows you enough time to complete the typical healthcare grad school pre-reqs and no one would care.

Let's not turn this into an MD vs. DO debate.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am just concerned about me having to take my shirt off or something during some class in medical school.

What do you think goes on in medical school classrooms? Normally that behavior is reserved for the on-call room or a supply closet.

Some people refer to people's religious beliefs as "superstitions"? That's really offensive, lol.

Yet it's not offensive to believe that Allah or Jesus is going to have an eternal barbecue using my body as kindling.

.....okay

If it's possible, find a female mentor who can help you wade through these decisions, for it's going to be tricky. I don't know if school is paying for your tuition, or your parents, but I don't want to see you putting yourself in an awkward situation if your parents try to withhold paying tuition/sending you to college until you accept their demands (I've seen that happen).

I say stick with BME for now, but also do pre-med reqs, gaining exposure through volunteering at a hospital, possibly doing research with a professor, and whatever activities you can "dip" into to give you an idea about medicine. If you can't stand BME, for it's too challenging, staying caught up with the material is causing you health issues and much stress, and it feels like a true dead-end to you, switch the major to something you can manage and find engaging, for if you do figure out that you're willing to make the sacrifice

And yes you can get married, have children. Women in the medical field such as Pardis Sabeti and Laurie Glimcher have done so.

Also, I don't if this will help, but check out the L'Oreal-UNESCO International Awards page of its recipients. It's for women in science, and has a wide array of women from around the world who've done significant contributions; maybe reading the research they've done might give you ideas on how to go about your path as well, for there is not just one path to do things.

http://www.loreal.com/Foundation/Article.aspx?topcode=Foundation_AccessibleScience_WomenExcellence_U

Finally, I wanted to ask how do you define passion b/c a passion for something might not come until you've really come to understand what you're doing and are gaining rare, valuable skills in what you're learning.

Yikes! I don't think my parents would do something like that. And my tuition is fully paid for by my college though scholarships, grants, etc. So thankfully, I am not relying on my parents to cover my tuition. My dad can't even afford it, and it's only cuz of my scholarships I am even able to go to a university without going into debt xD

I do plan on staying in BME for at another semester, so let's see how it goes! And I will make sure to complete the pre-reqs too.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely look into that!!

I guess passion would be defined as a genuine liking for the individuals profession. That's true, there may be a hidden passion for engineering in me that I don't know about :p

Anyway, thanks for the reply!!!

No problem! And I realized I didn't finished my sentence here, "If you can't stand BME, for it's too challenging, staying caught up with the material is causing you health issues and much stress, and it feels like a true dead-end to you, switch the major to something you can manage and find engaging, for if you do figure out that you're willing to make the sacrifice(s) to do medical school, you'll have a strong GPA from your major along with your premed reqs."

I did well in high school because I worked really hard, and my teachers have told me that I am bright. I just have a hard time believing it myself. What if I fail? What if I don't get into medical school? What if I lose all those years of my life studying for nothing? Will I be able to get married? Can I have kids before I am 30?

If there are any female muslims out there, pleasseeee pm me! I have so many questions and concerns, and any advice helps. IF you read this long post, thank you so much. I know I am being ranty, but I have no support system here, and hardly any friends. It's really hard to stay motivated.

Hi, engineering can get pretty stiff and boring quickly, if you lose interest, there's nothing wrong with switching majors. Biology is a common one for premeds but choose a major that you have a good interest in because majors don't really matter for med school, it's more about GPA and MCAT.

What if I fail? What if I don't get into medical school? What if I lose all those years of my life studying for nothing?

What if I told you, you are brilliant, keep working hard. You're at a place in your life where your actions will affect you in your future, continue to work hard and strive for what you desire--medical school. In addition, college is a place for growth and experience, step out of your comfort zone and go for what you want. Not sure what to say about being Muslim, there's all types of people in the field of medicine, and I don't believe being Muslim should hold you back from what you want to do.

I know I am being ranty, but I have no support system here, and hardly any friends. It's really hard to stay motivated.

Try to build a support system for yourself, form study groups and continue those relationships, find other students from your pre-med courses.

I just have a hard time believing it myself

This usually stems from some pre-conceived notion about yourself, what if I told you, you're better than that. Find something that can give you belief, perhaps your religion, your family and friends, or even you yourself.

I honestly don't know if this is the best path for me, though I do feel passionate about it. I want to take a few more classes, volunteer over the summer, and give myself a few months to think before making my decision to switch my major.

Volunteering and shadowing is always a good way to gauge your passion for medicine and resolve, definitely do it.

For me, this is a sacrifice and a decision that will impact the rest of my life. Not many people around me have been supportive of my decision, though my mother does think I am capable. I also feel extremely behind other students, because I haven't been involved on campus since I live 20 miles away and spent around 1.5 hours a day just driving to school.

Hmm..This is pretty tough. Have you considered living on campus? Maybe your own apartment or with some roommates if parents are willing? For getting involved, try going and signing up for student groups, it doesn't have to be any premed group but that's a good place to start, it can be anything just to help you get involved on campus. The first group I joined as a transfer was a running club, I ran track in high school so I thought it would be fun, I've ran with them a few times and had a few meets it's been pretty fun. If you feel behind, meet with your advisor and discuss ways you can catch up or stay on track with you medical school goal.

Hello everyone, or salaam, if you are muslim as well :)

Well, ever since I was young I have had a very strong sense of compassion and a drive for learning. I am an artist, and am quite useful with my hands, so I thought that maybe engineering would be the best bet for me! Not just any engineering, but Biomedical Engineering, mainly because it just seemed interesting and I like the fact that it had some overlap with the medical field.

I graduated 2nd in my high school class, with an IB degree, but the family had to move b/c dad lost his job and found a new one in a different city, yada yada. Now that I have almost completed my first year of college, I am really doubting myself.

I am taking MATLAB this semester, and I really don't like it. And it's really making me doubt myself as an engineer. First off, I only decided to do BME b/c I thought it was a field that would pay well, I believed that my math skills were adequate, and it seems interesting enough, but not because I had a real "passion" for it. But now... idk.

I have been considering medical school more and more these past few weeks, because of a few reasons:

1. I love my biology class (Bio 2), even though the teacher is really boring, lol.
2. Engineering doesn't seem that appealing
3. I really want to help people
4. Religious inspiration
5. The idea of being a doctor makes me really excited, and it really motivates me.

I will be volunteering at a clinic this summer, and I will be taking a few summer courses b/c I am a bit behind in my degree plan (honors college made me take extra classes that I don't really need but it was an honors requirement).

Another issue is that I am a BME undergrad. The GPA for this major isn't too hot ... and the program at my school isn't even accredited. I've only completed on semester, and I got a GPA of 3.75 b/c I was working during the time, took 7 credit hours of stupid honors classes that I really didn't need but was forced to take, and the transition to a new city, no friends, etc, etc. I think doing engineering while on the premed track will hurt me in the long run. I am thinking about changing majors, but I am worried that if I do change my major to something biology related, and I DONT get into med school... then what? What are some options for me?

Matlab can be time consuming, but it is a fun course. You really should try to like Matlab, because it is an indescribably important subject for any tracks within BME. Quite frankly, if you don't feel passion for BME, just change your major. No matter how smart you are, you can't beat students who are genuinely passionate about the subject and willing to learn the material. It really shows when you take courses like biomechanics, kinetics/thermodynamics, transport, etc...If you don't feel the passion, you will be crushed by these courses. So change your major before it's too late. You gotta do what you like for undergrad; find what you like and pursue it.

Yet it's not offensive to believe that Allah or Jesus is going to have an eternal barbecue using my body as kindling.

.....okay

Well you could always believe :shifty:

BME is a gpa destroyer. Hopefully you realize what you're getting into. Also, build a support system, as a muslim myself, my support system is my family. I also have a retired physician mentor, he offers guidance and always listens to my problems. Have fun in college too, don't let it be a forgettable 4 years.

Matlab can be time consuming, but it is a fun course. You really should try to like Matlab, because it is an indescribably important subject for any tracks within BME. Quite frankly, if you don't feel passion for BME, just change your major. No matter how smart you are, you can't beat students who are genuinely passionate about the subject and willing to learn the material. It really shows when you take courses like biomechanics, kinetics/thermodynamics, transport, etc...If you don't feel the passion, you will be crushed by these courses. So change your major before it's too late. You gotta do what you like for undergrad; find what you like and pursue it.

Matlab is okay, I only like it when I get something right! It's like a puzzle, but it's just the course and the way it's taught at my university that is making me not like it. The class and the professor is disorganized and goes way too fast...and I actually failed the first exam! My first F on a test in my life! LOL. However, most of the kids in the class aren't doing so hot either so... maybe it's not the subject, but the way its being taught :p

Those courses are things I probably won't take until junior year. I will be taking circuits w/ lab and engineering math this fall semester, so maybe I'll be able to figure it out then if this is the major for me.

I totally agree. So far, I do like biology. It seems really intersting. Math is something I typically do well in, and I have no idea about chemistry because I have yet to take a Gen Chem course (never took chem in high school). I am taking "baby chem" which is ridiciously easy, so I can't make jugdements yet.

There are several female muslims at my school, and all of them seem extremely happy with the path they've chosen and have no doubt run into some of the same obstacles. You're going to have to overcome your lack of self-confidence one day at a time and keep moving forward with your life.

If something doesn't work out, you have to pick up and keep going. All of these are questions that only you can answer; we can't answer them for you. Plenty of people have failed to get into medical school. Life continued for those people just as it did for you. Plenty of people have waited until after age 30 to get married and have children, and some have been married and had children in medical school.

Your life will unfold no matter what you do, but try to let go of preconceived plans. If you want to work towards medicine, you need not pursue it in exclusion of life-balance, but you may have to make some compromises.

If you can train yourself to think at the 'important core values' level and become comfortable compromising on some 'religious technicalities' then I think you can be both a good doctor and a good Muslim.

But if you let other people define for you exactly how a "good Muslim" is supposed to behave (technicalities instead of core values), you could spend your entire life tiptoeing around a veritable minefield. You will never be able to please everyone all the time, so the sooner you can develop you own inner compass and the more you can let it guide you (and not others' vocal opinions), the better you will be able to meet the balanced needs of your ambitions and your conscience.

Some people refer to people's religious beliefs as "superstitions"? That's really offensive, lol.
Cultural competence isn't a Buzzword for premeds the way it is for med students and residents. Many SDNers learn a lot about multiculturalism and tolerance of diversity through their interaction with these forums. And while you may see offensive, ill-informed, or prejudiced comments here, at least they represent equal-opportunity ignorance, rudeness, and bias. No group seems to be immune.

Look at this forum as a crucible. Eventually a refined product emerges.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I can understand your dad's logic, but unless your mom is an MD/DO on a medical school faculty, then she doesn't know what your odds are.

I've had plenty of Muslim female students (and Hindi, Chinese, Korean, Cambodian, Hispanic, Jewish and Italian, yada yada yada...you're not the only one from a culture that screams "When are you going to get married and have children already?"). It can be done. I've had single moms as students, and students who became parents in medical school.

Let's see, research tech, lab manager, academia, pharmaceutics, industry, veterinary, all sorts of medical assistants, PA, optometry, bio or science teaching, physical therapy, Xray tech, podiatry, ultrasound.

Suggest transferring to a closer school (if possible). Do NOT compare yourself to others!

Time to start working on your self-esteem. Your school must have a counseling center...go have a chat with them. And it's not studying for nothing. If one door closes, another one opens up. Insha allah.

Cultural competence isn't a Buzzword for premeds the way it is for med students and residents. Many SDNers learn a lot about multiculturalism and tolerance of diversity through their interaction with these forums. And while you may see offensive, ill-informed, or prejudiced comments here, at least they represent equal-opportunity ignorance, rudeness, and bias. No group seems to be immune.

Look at this forum as a crucible. Eventually a refined product emerges.

Well as long as we all learn something out of it all, then I guess I can't complain too much :)

@Goro, I wish I could go to a closer university, but the one I go to is the closest one near me, haha!
Thanks for your reply, I hope that insha'Allah everything will work out for me, and I believe Allah has the best plan for me :)
And definitely gotta work on that self esteem for sure! God knows I need it :p

Thanks to everyone that have replied, giving me such encouraging words!! I wish I could reply to all of you, but that would take forever and I would be repeating myself over and over again, haha. But anyway, thank you guys all!!

I am really starting to consider to switching my major to Biology w/ a minor in art because I love to draw/paint/etc. If I have a minor that is different from my major, would medical schools look favorably upon that? Maybe down the line, I could create works that get published/recognized, so would those type of awards be applicable to put on my CV?

Would me being a URM give me an advantage (lol)?

I am really starting to consider to switching my major to Biology w/ a minor in art because I love to draw/paint/etc.

1) If I have a minor that is different from my major, would medical schools look favorably upon that?
2) Maybe down the line, I could create works that get published/recognized, so would those type of awards be applicable to put on my CV?

3) Would me being a URM give me an advantage (lol)?
1) No, it really doesn't help to have a minor or even a second major.

2) Yes.

3) Racial or ethnic groups that aren't well represented in medicine sometimes have an advantage. It depends on the school and the populations they aim to serve.

I dont actually think Pakistanis are considered URM.

Well as long as we all learn something out of it all, then I guess I can't complain too much :)

@Goro, I wish I could go to a closer university, but the one I go to is the closest one near me, haha!
Thanks for your reply, I hope that insha'Allah everything will work out for me, and I believe Allah has the best plan for me :)
And definitely gotta work on that self esteem for sure! God knows I need it :p

Thanks to everyone that have replied, giving me such encouraging words!! I wish I could reply to all of you, but that would take forever and I would be repeating myself over and over again, haha. But anyway, thank you guys all!!

I am really starting to consider to switching my major to Biology w/ a minor in art because I love to draw/paint/etc. If I have a minor that is different from my major, would medical schools look favorably upon that? Maybe down the line, I could create works that get published/recognized, so would those type of awards be applicable to put on my CV?

Would me being a URM give me an advantage (lol)?

This whole thread has been a lesson in multiculturalism for me, even though I'm an immigrant myself. Personally, I would advise that you need to do some soul searching to decide where your priorities lie, and what level of conflict you can endure. Also, IMO South Asians are not URM's. There are tons of Indian and Pakistani doctors in the US, far more than their demographics.