Should I do post bacc or just the pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorintraining232

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I get a post bacc (M.S. in Biomedical Science) or should I just finish the undergrad prereqs, take the mcat and apply to med schools? I currently have a Bachelor's in Business, but want to join the fall 2018 class for DO school at LUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The MCAT is a crapshoot in terms of what subjects are emphasized on each administration. You could get lucky and have an exam with little biochemistry and little genetics and be perfectly fine. On the other hand, you could get an MCAT where several passages are based on biochemistry papers from a research journal and without the previous knowledge be in over your head. I can't speak of other courses, but in our course we have fourteen hours of biochemistry and molecular biology class plus optional tutor review hours. In theory, a student who needed a great deal of help could get about 54 hours of biochemistry and molecular biology help. Even with all of that offered, our advice to students is to wait until they've completed biochemistry to take the MCAT.