Should I drive from Philly to NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbiedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be interviewing at Drexel and was wondering if I should rent a car and drive to NYC (March 10th)? I will be staying at a hotel near LGA...Manhattan hotels are too expensive.

Should I fly, take the train, or drive? Is there a cheaper hotel option in NYC?

Many thanks,
California Guy

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely do not fly. The train maybe the easiest and least stressful way to go, but why not get a hotel in or near Philly or fly into Philly?

Definitely train - traffic sucks, gas is expensive, and if you have to pay for parking you'll blow even more money. The train is $33.50 roundtrip between NY Penn Station and 30th Street (which you can get to from the train you may take out to Drexel's campus and back). It runs at least once an hour starting at I think 5am (through 11pm or midnight?) and takes about 2 hrs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely do not fly. The train maybe the easiest and least stressful way to go, but why not get a hotel in or near Philly or fly into Philly?

No, I have an interview in Philly and was thinking about visiting a friend in NYC over the weekend. $200 a night in NYC is stiff, and I don't know about the "shared bathroom" hotels. It sounds nasty.

also, where are you interviewing? some places to stay will be horribly inconvenient depending on where you need to be.

try http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html
the Broadway Hostel 230 West 101 Street, Broadway, for example,
is super convenient for columbia and not too bad for nyu, sinai, cornell, etc.

if you want to pm me, i can give you more specific advice

Hi Aglaiaer,

I'm not interviewing in NYC. My last interview at this point is at Drexel. I'm still looking for a hotel to stay at, but it looks like the Howard Johnson hotel is my best bet. Do you have any recommendation? If you could, can you give me specific direction. I'm visiting a friend in NYC and don't want to bother her anymore than I already have.

Keep in mind that I will probably be carrying 2 or 3 luggages since I will be away for about a week.

Thanks a lot Ag!