Should I drop physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugarmagnolia91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with physics 1. I need a 91 on the cumulative final to get a B- in the class. My science GPA is a 2.8ish so a C will be pretty detrimental. I'm also in biochem and planning to take the DAT in June. I'm a post-bacc, for what it's worth.

Should I drop the class? Even a B- wouldn't be great for my GPA. I would retake it in the summer at an easier school. Is a W worse than a C?

I have a lot of W's on my undergrad transcript but they're from about 5 years ago (I graduated 2012 and had a solid jr/sr year).

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is physics. Do the math, settle for a C Or add another semester to your career. Do better with physics 2.

Me: if I know I can get a C or better I'll keep with it. Physics is not easy.

Continue to take higher level bio and chem courses in the future to raise science gpa

can you even still drop physics at this point of the semester? It seems real close to the end...

Members don't see this ad :)
Deadline to drop is Thursday. I guess I'm asking how bad a W will look at this point. I took on too much this semester (should have cut back on working) and really don't know what to do now.

I want to apply this cycle so I feel like I should focus on the DAT. I'm also applying to SMPs for this fall and wondering how a W would affect admission to those.

I dropped Physics 2 and Chemistry 2. And was fortunate enough with acceptances and many other people were with similar situations.

B- with only a 91? Meaning you're having trouble with the class and likely get lower than that. I'd drop it and study for the DAT(which is what I did actually lol). DAT is the long game, do well in it and take physics next semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I dropped Physics 2 and Chemistry 2. And was fortunate enough with acceptances and many other people were with similar situations.

B- with only a 91? Meaning you're having trouble with the class and likely get lower than that. I'd drop it and study for the DAT(which is what I did actually lol). DAT is the long game, do well in it and take physics next semester.

Thanks for the reply! This is good to hear. Why do you say the DAT is the long game?

Thanks for the reply! This is good to hear. Why do you say the DAT is the long game?

Long game meaning the big picture.

Because if you took this in the spring and had an acceptance in hand, you would just need a C. All your sciences classes were preparation for the DAT. Use the physics time for the exam that is suppose to let you move on to the next part of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Long game meaning the big picture.

Because if you took this in the spring and had an acceptance in hand, you would just need a C. All your sciences classes were preparation for the DAT. Use the physics time for the exam that is suppose to let you move on to the next part of your life.

Got it, thanks!! :)