Should I drop Pre-Calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not failing - not anything like that, it's just that I just had my first class and I cannot understand the instructor.

For the most part I was able to follow along because it was a review of math I remembered, but I got the feeling that the instructor didn't appreciate students speaking up and asking questions (another girl expressed she felt that same way), there are no office hours, and he doesn't know the policies about tape-recording his lectures for personal study habits (I asked because that's the only way I'll be able to understand him fully - replaying the class later).

I want the very best grades in my post-bacc career.

I'm also working two full-time jobs so while I need/want to take this class to get into the medical schools I'm aiming for, I also want to put my best foot forward and I simply can't understand the man's English and I don't want this to hold me back from understanding the mathematical concepts. Math doesn't come easy to me as it is. I suppose I could look into getting a tutor - I think this school offers free tutoring, but again - it seems like I would be able to keep up if I didn't have to concentrate so hard on deciphering the words instead of focusing on the content taught.

Am I being too critical? It's too late to add another pre-calc section especially since my schedule is so hectic with my jobs and the other sections are full already.

I feel confident the instructor knows his stuff - he's got lots of degrees and loves math and it's obvious he expects a lot from us - the syllabus was quite thorough but I just don't want to trash my grades over this.

Members don't see this ad.

Those courses are tough anyway you put it which is why I didn't do a traditional post-bacc. Personally I don't see why you would need calc 1,2,3 or however high they go. I got through stats and was done with math. If you are doing well in the class may be worth to stick it out. In the end whatever is good for you is the best way to proceed. Its all relative anyway

Reactions: 1 user
You're going to run into tough accents the whole way through. America doesn't do a great job teaching our own citizens math and science.

Stick it out. The accent will become clear to you within two weeks. You and everyone will ask for clarification if you can't understand. Whether he likes it or not.

You don't want to start out by making excuses. Start out being willing to accept the same normal challenges everyone else is facing and you will feel much more confident when you apply to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could like this a million times @pageantry. Thanks, from one hippie to another. <3 I think I will give him a fair shot.

If it makes you feel better I'm taking it for the second time :/. If your gd with your time why not try an online version of the class? It might take the instructor out of the mix and allow you to maximize study time.
From experience I say if you know your not going to get along with this instructor withdraw. Unless attendance isn't mandatory there's no point in fighting through hours of lectures only to have to go home and reteach everything to yourself all over again.

I'm not failing - not anything like that, it's just that I just had my first class and I cannot understand the instructor.

For the most part I was able to follow along because it was a review of math I remembered, but I got the feeling that the instructor didn't appreciate students speaking up and asking questions (another girl expressed she felt that same way), there are no office hours, and he doesn't know the policies about tape-recording his lectures for personal study habits (I asked because that's the only way I'll be able to understand him fully - replaying the class later).

I'm also working two full-time jobs so while I need/want to take this class to get into the medical schools I'm aiming for, I also want to put my best foot forward and I simply can't understand the man's English and I don't want this to hold me back from understanding the mathematical concepts. Math doesn't come easy to me as it is. I suppose I could look into getting a tutor - I think this school offers free tutoring, but again - it seems like I would be able to keep up if I didn't have to concentrate so hard on deciphering the words instead of focusing on the content taught.

Am I being too critical? It's too late to add another pre-calc section especially since my schedule is so hectic with my jobs and the other sections are full already.

I feel confident the instructor knows his stuff - he's got lots of degrees and loves math and it's obvious he expects a lot from us - the syllabus was quite thorough but I just don't want to trash my grades over this.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but as a student, the text I have highlighted in bold would be a cause for concern for me. That doesn't really have anything to do with your inability to commit the the coursework and everything to do with how a particular professor engages his students. I don't know where you attend university but professorial office hours are mandated by the university I attended, even if there are TAs for the course. Perhaps his office hours are just not listed and you must make an appointment?

Ultimately, this is your education. You are paying for it. If you have decided you want to stick it out, all the best to you. But if you feel as though you will not be able to understand the information as easily (or will have to spend significant time outside of class to understand the information where you otherwise would not...which may cause you additional stress given your work obligations) then don't stay in the course out of a fear that you are making 'excuses.' Keep sight of your goal...a difficult learning experience doesn't get you brownie points with medical school admissions officers.

Are you a good self-learner? Even in med school, there will be times that you won't be spoon fed, and you're on your own.

As others have said, you'll figure out the instructor after a few weeks; I had the same issue with my PreCalc teacher. Do those hwk and practice problems ad nauseum.

Also use YouTube. The wealth of information on it - especially with subjects like pre-calc/calc is quite outstanding.

khaaan.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
The more a class is oriented toward problem solving (math, chemistry, physics), the more you will find yourself having to learn by doing problems independently outside of class. No one understands a mathematical concept and how to apply it after just hearing the lecture.

I would not drop a class just because the professor doesn't teach well. If that's your standard, you'll never make it through a post-bacc. This is especially true for those of us who work full time and have limited class options. If the professor tests at a level consistent with the assignments he gives from material that's contained within the syllabus, I would stick it out. There are tons of resources, many of which are free, that you can use to help you learn. Also consider prereading before lecture if you're not doing so already.

Strange. Why are there no office hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Community college. Brand new. Just opened this month. The old Malcolm X CC was next door but this one is super - getting all the awesomeness together still.

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/251m-malcolm-x-college-debuts-in-west-side-chicago/

There's a Math office, I think...

But I'm going to bribe the man with Starbucks if he'll meet me there should I decide to stay.

I might drop it though - my job just told me yesterday they want my talents in corporate HQ and that might change everything, schedule and commute-wise grrr. Got some thinking and soul-searching to do.

Last edited:
Community college. Brand new. Just opened this month. The old Malcolm X CC was next door but this one is super - getting all the awesomeness together still.

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/251m-malcolm-x-college-debuts-in-west-side-chicago/

There's a Math office, I think...

But I'm going to bribe the man with Starbucks if he'll meet me there should I decide to stay.

I might drop it though - my job just told me yesterday they want my talents in corporate HQ and that might change everything, schedule and commute-wise grrr. Got some thinking and soul-searching to do.
Totally understand. Seeking advice online can be tricky, b/c no one really knows your whole life like you do, and what you have to do to juggle and balance. Good luck to you. :)

Also use YouTube. The wealth of information on it - especially with subjects like pre-calc/calc is quite outstanding.
This...

Get used to teaching yourself; it's a good skill to have. A well taught lecture is a unicorn or at least a four leaf clover. Whether it's an impossible-to-understand accent, instructor apathy, or just poor speaking skills, you'll spend plenty of time teaching yourself from outside resources. In med school there is no such thing as dropping a class.

This...

Get used to teaching yourself; it's a good skill to have. A well taught lecture is a unicorn or at least a four leaf clover. Whether it's an impossible-to-understand accent, instructor apathy, or just poor speaking skills, you'll spend plenty of time teaching yourself from outside resources. In med school there is no such thing as dropping a class.

It's a shame there aren't more truly talented teachers. It's not enough if they know the didactics. They need to help others know and understand them. For a number of folks, whatever they do will just be a job to them, period. But I like teaching, so I am good with even teaching myself, unless I am very far out of my element.

Some of the truly talented teachers don't end up at the big research universities - they end up at smaller institutes that focus on educating undergrads.

Some of the truly talented teachers don't end up at the big research universities - they end up at smaller institutes that focus on educating undergrads.

This. The best professor I ever had (and I ended up taking 7 classes from her) taught at a small liberal arts college for her first teaching gig. They didn't appreciate her so she went to another smaller sized university that allowed her to have graduate students as well. She would be more than qualified for a big time research position (she's been published numerous times on healthcare and culture) at a big name school, but prefers the small school feel.

Let me tell you about how hard I tried to convince myself that my ex was right and that I didn't really want to be a doc and that what I had fallen into (flying) was good and operations management was good and $98k a year plus per diem and bennies was good, that my DHS or army or whoever customer and my company desperately needed me in my little role in the GWOT arsenal of democracy...

...and 11 years later realizing that it was all crap and killing me (not slowly either) and that I had sold myself out for someone else's bottom line.

I would save you that decade, friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Pretty much this. Professors at big-name universities loathe undergrads- they don't want to teach, they want to do big research, make a name for themselves, etc. Teaching is viewed by them as a waste of their talents and time. When I went to a little liberal arts college, I had professors from MIT, Harvard, Yale- but all ones that wanted to teach, not do research. So they put their heart and soul into it, and it was awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
OP: Get a subscription to Mathway. It's absolute gold. It's how I'll be acing my Precalc and calc course this year. Gives the answer after you plug it in but with the subscription it also shows you all the steps.

That and Khan Academy.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the others. Professors are meant only as supplements to the course. Quality students are able to learn the material on their own when needed. Know what material you are meant to learn and find videos of other professors on Youtube, iTunes U and Khan academy.

There are many difficult accents here in the bay area. I've come across this situation a few times....

My evaluation for dropping is simple: is it possible to get an A in the class, and if not, can I live with the lower grade. If the answer to both is no, I would drop it. I don't even mind self teaching. TBH I've been to $50k a year private schools as well as state schools and 75% of everything I've done has been self taught. The only real exception was Japanese, where I had an exceptionally good prof for 3 semesters. I do however refuse to take a course where the instructor doesn't give out A's. Some professors pride themselves on the fact that "no one ever gets an A in my courses." From my perspective however, such statements merely reflect an inability to teach at that level.

My evaluation for dropping is simple: is it possible to get an A in the class, and if not, can I live with the lower grade. If the answer to both is no, I would drop it. I don't even mind self teaching. TBH I've been to $50k a year private schools as well as state schools and 75% of everything I've done has been self taught. The only real exception was Japanese, where I had an exceptionally good prof for 3 semesters. I do however refuse to take a course where the instructor doesn't give out A's. Some professors pride themselves on the fact that "no one ever gets an A in my courses." From my perspective however, such statements merely reflect an inability to teach at that level.

But to clarify, should someone else may misread this: Sure, no professor/instructor should "give out" A's. Nothing in life is handed to you 99% of the time. What I mean by that is that A's should always be earned. If, however, a professor, as I believe the above responder intends really means here, chooses to make it pretty impossible to earn an A, most certainly such an "instructor/professor) has a serious problem. So, I agree with the above. I would not deal with them. They don't understand what their role is, and as such, they need to stay in a research lab and never present, instruct, and influence a group of students ever again. As a teacher/instructor/professor, you either want to help students understand and grow or you do not. If you do not, you should not be given the title or role of professor, title, teacher, rabbi, etc, for you are NOT one, regardless of what your credentials say. Students and parents and society is not paying for this, and as expensive as education is, students deserve much better.

Last edited:
Absolutely, you should have to work for an A. I'm referring to those profs (and I've met a few) who consider it a point of personal dogma not to award A's. These cases are typically science classes that use almost exclusively essay style tests, thus granting the professor a huge degree of latitude for subjective grading. Alternately, some professors enjoy tests composed of multiple choice questions with 4 right answers. Then they tell you that in order to receive credit you must pick the "most right" answer. The latter is even more frustrating than the former, lol.

Absolutely, you should have to work for an A. I'm referring to those profs (and I've met a few) who consider it a point of personal dogma not to award A's. These cases are typically science classes that use almost exclusively essay style tests, thus granting the professor a huge degree of latitude for subjective grading. Alternately, some professors enjoy tests composed of multiple choice questions with 4 right answers. Then they tell you that in order to receive credit you must pick the "most right" answer. The latter is even more frustrating than the former, lol.

Yes. Exactly. I got it, but was wondering if it could have been misunderstood. Yes. Believe it or not, although not of the same caliber as hard sciences, MANY of NCLEX questions were structured like this. Either all 4 right answers or all 4 wrong. A number of them were about picking the least crappy of the crappy choices. That is what makes the NCLEX challenging, not the material per se. Course I don't know if it is still like that, b/c many things have changed. When I took it, it was two full days of on site testing with literally nearing a 1000 people or more for the exam. CCRN was much harder b/c there was more science but also applied practice. I am not wholly opposed to these questions, if you can show some sense in them. In the case of the NCLEX, it's primarily about application. In some of the science courses, the application may not be as clear, b/c you are dealing with straight knowledge, and so there may be a lot of room for dispute--gaming the test against the student in such a way as, "Well, you really can't win."

I have had to take essay exams for some science courses. I had to take one for microbiology, and I wrote a book with specific examples, and, as hardazzed as the professor was, he gave me a 97, b/c he said, "It was quite comprehensive." I almost fell out of the chair, as the professor in particular didn't like me b/c of my free spirited nature. My hand never hurt so much as after that test. Yea. No computer to type the responses. Only my hand, the paper, test and a pen--and the proctor. I was totally drained afterwards. LOL I must be sick, b/c it was such a challenge, I'd probably do it again. How insane is that?

Yes. Exactly. I got it, but was wondering if it could have been misunderstood. Yes. Believe it or not, although not of the same caliber as hard sciences, MANY of NCLEX questions were structured like this. Either all 4 right answers or all 4 wrong. A number of them were about picking the least crappy of the crappy choices. That is what makes the NCLEX challenging, not the material per se. Course I don't know if it is still like that, b/c many things have changed. When I took it, it was two full days of on site testing with literally nearing a 1000 people or more for the exam. CCRN was much harder b/c there was more science but also applied practice. I am not wholly opposed to these questions, if you can show some sense in them. In the case of the NCLEX, it's primarily about application. In some of the science courses, the application may not be as clear, b/c you are dealing with straight knowledge, and so there may be a lot of room for dispute--gaming the test against the student in such a way as, "Well, you really can't win."

I have had to take essay exams for some science courses. I had to take one for microbiology, and I wrote a book with specific examples, and, as hardazzed as the professor was, he gave me a 97, b/c he said, "It was quite comprehensive." I almost fell out of the chair, as the professor in particular didn't like me b/c of my free spirited nature. My hand never hurt so much as after that test. Yea. No computer to type the responses. Only my hand, the paper, test and a pen--and the proctor. I was totally drained afterwards. LOL I must be sick, b/c it was such a challenge, I'd probably do it again. How insane is that?

Yeah, I had a similar experience in my constitutional law class. The prof, who was a federal judge and had taught the course for a long time told me she had never given out a 100 on a test until me. I never got one again but the first one was enough to keep my trying for the rest of the course :D

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I had a similar experience in my constitutional law class. The prof, who was a federal judge and had taught the course for a long time told me she had never given out a 100 on a test until me. I never got one again but the first one was enough to keep my trying for the rest of the course :D
The same can be said of the one good golf shot I ever had...