Should I drop Summer OChem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andysandy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a week in and have three more. I got a C+ last quarter, A first, and as the mechanisms from last quarter are needed, I'd be looking at a B+ at best. I feel like I could use the next three weeks to prepare and review for sring quarter, but I'm almost done with the lab portion and I could take an additional Bio class instead of Chem and Chem Lab with Phtsicd?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you reword that in English so we can help?

Reactions: 1 user
Could you reword that in English so we can help?
I misspelled one word.

Should I drop?
A/C+ first two quarters
Review last quarter and take last one in spring.
Or finish now and take B+, havean open spot in the spring. Already completed Lab and would have to redo.

Before you answer this question, here are some questions to consider.

What is your science GPA looking like right now? A B+ is not ideal for O-chem, but what does the rest of your science classes look like?

What is your current standing in the class? Have you had any lecture exams or quizzes yet, and what were your scores?

How many hours a week do you have to commit to studying for the class, and is additional help (tutoring, office hours, etc) available?

What about O-chem is causing you to struggle?

What is your baseline knowledge from O-chem 1? Or, how well do you know the basic concepts from O-chem 1?

Dropping a class is not ideal, although I personally did it ONCE to avoid a B. If you retake it though, you need to get at least an A to make up for the W on your transcript.

What is your science GPA looking like right now? A B+ is not ideal for O-chem, but what does the rest of your science classes look like?

What is your current standing in the class? Have you had any lecture exams or quizzes yet, and what were your scores?

How many hours a week do you have to commit to studying for the class, and is additional help (tutoring, office hours, etc) available?

What is your baseline knowledge from O-chem 1? Or, how well do you know the basic concepts from O-chem 1?

Dropping a class is not ideal, although I personally did it ONCE to avoid a B. If you retake it though, you need to get at least an A to make up for the W on your transcript.
No W, it's summer OChem, they don't take it out against you if you drop. The timing is making me struggle. But I don't really want to repeat Lab. My sGPA could use more than a 3.3, but I can take a higher level Bio in its place. No clue what to do.

Lol I dropped a math class twice (w/ a W) before finally passing it with a B

No W, it's summer OChem, they don't take it out against you if you drop. The timing is making me struggle. But I don't really want to repeat Lab. My sGPA could use more than a 3.3, but I can take a higher level Bio in its place. No clue what to do.

Does this affect your graduation time, and do you have the money to spend more time in school?

If your sGPA is a 3.3, I would drop the class and take it later if you could, I took physics 1 three times before I finished it with a grade because I had the darndest time with that class, ended up getting an A though.

Wait.. So it's better to get a B+ and not take a higher level Biology (A grade) and retake Lab with Physics Lab and probably get a A- or lower since it's curved less during the year? My sGPA is a 3.0, terrible but improving. Sorry for horrible typing, I only jave an old phone for internet this summer.

Withdrawing over a B is stupid; save Ws for C+ or lower courses.