Should I even apply or shoot for the Caribbean :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The way med school applications work is that you apply to at least a dozen schools and see where you get in. You can hope for a certain location, but you cannot plan on one. In your case, since you're a borderline candidate, you should probably apply to more than a dozen. You will then apply to a number of programs including ones not in your area when you apply for residency. This should include programs not within Texas.

I think that 3.1 is marginal for MD in general. This is why I recommend if you do apply that you apply to MD and DO programs, and you could try MD/PhD but it's a long shot.

Good news...sort of. I originally calculated my grade from some online website which gave me the 2.85 gpa. The aamc calculated my gpa to be 3.06. That's a huge f'ing difference! I think the website did not take the course credit hours into account and calculated the gpa using the grades only. Do you guys think this changes things? Should I still try to raise my gpa with a postbacc , SMP,or simply apply early and broadly. If I can get into the may 2015 cycle (with somewhat good chances) then I would like to do that and not take a year or two off. But again, if my 3.06 is still too risky for Texas schools then I will do what I have to do. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news...sort of. I originally calculated my grade from some online website which gave me the 2.85 gpa. The aamc calculated my gpa to be 3.06. That's a huge f'ing difference! I think the website did not take the course credit hours into account and calculated the gpa using the grades only. Do you guys think this changes things? Should I still try to raise my gpa with a postbacc , SMP,or simply apply early and broadly. If I can get into the may 2015 cycle (with somewhat good chances) then I would like to do that and not take a year or two off. But again, if my 3.06 is still too risky for Texas schools then I will do what I have to do. Thanks.

What's your TMDSAS GPA? TMDSAS calculates GPA differently from AMCAS. Remove all + and - and As are 4.0, Bs are 3.0, etc.

Sorry, I mean't that is my TMDSAS. I didn't calculate my AMCAS gpa but Im sure it's lower.

This is a whole new ballgame!

Checking the graph for AA applicants with a 3.0+ and 35 MCAT gets you around a 70% acceptance rate, which is pretty good, really. Plus, with your strong research background and (presumably) strong LORs, I think you're in a pretty decent position.

Apply to all of the Texas schools, and be prepared to move if needed. (Of course you want UTSW, but so does everyone else, right?) And if your family is tied to Dallas and can't move, reconcile yourself to visiting as often as possible. You can get to Dallas relatively easily from any of the other TX cities.

I'd suggest you may apply in-state only, and maybe to the historically black schools, saving your money for the better bets. Most OOS schools don't interview TX applicants unless there's something particularly compelling about their applications to offset the presumed scholarship they'd have to offer to entice you to pay twice as much to attend.

Good luck to you!

You should definitely apply. TCOM and the other DOs will be far more forgiving of your high MCAt, low GPA / non-traditional background. In fact, with those LORs I wouldn't be surprised if some of the TX MD looked your way, if you are a resident of TX. Your gpa is certainly low but if you can explain why it is so low and can back it up with all the post-grad work you seem to have done (research + hospital work experience) I would find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be accepted somewhere.

Good luck! 35-40 schools is a lot of schools. If I were you, personally, I would cut it down to around 20 and use that saved money for travel expenses, but this is all about what is best for you and your family so it's absolutely your choice - I just think that many schools is a bit excessive and may tax your ability to write quality II and flying around all over for interviews.

Also, I recommend applying next cycle, it is already pretty late in this cycle and that will take away from your chances of getting an interview / II.
If she is under served and "poor" - she may qualify for FAP.

My current roommate applied to about 45+ schools. I applied to 6. It just depends...

Though, I would consider DO.

This is a whole new ballgame!

Checking the graph for AA applicants with a 3.0+ and 35 MCAT gets you around a 70% acceptance rate, which is pretty good, really. Plus, with your strong research background and (presumably) strong LORs, I think you're in a pretty decent position.

Apply to all of the Texas schools, and be prepared to move if needed. (Of course you want UTSW, but so does everyone else, right?) And if your family is tied to Dallas and can't move, reconcile yourself to visiting as often as possible. You can get to Dallas relatively easily from any of the other TX cities.

I'd suggest you may apply in-state only, and maybe to the historically black schools, saving your money for the better bets. Most OOS schools don't interview TX applicants unless there's something particularly compelling about their applications to offset the presumed scholarship they'd have to offer to entice you to pay twice as much to attend.

Good luck to you!
Thanks DokterMom

its actually better in your cae to go carib. Clearly you are really intelligent. You would destroy the curriculum in the Carib. Also, they give you more time to study for the Step 1, which is a huge exam for getting residency. You can be successful in carib.

its actually better in your cae to go carib. Clearly you are really intelligent. You would destroy the curriculum in the Carib. Also, they give you more time to study for the Step 1, which is a huge exam for getting residency. You can be successful in carib.

Uh, no. The curriculum is pretty much the same no matter where you go. The difference between "the curriculum" in the Carib and the US (in terms of first 2 years) is the quality of instruction, level of faculty involvement, opportunities for relevant experience and connections, and the student community.

It's *easier* in the US because the faculty, and generally your classmates, actually care if you succeed. They're not hoping you fail out.

Reactions: 1 user
You think? Even with my gpa above 3.o?

As someone who comes from a family with tons of doctors who know tons of med students (and knows a few people who have done the overseas med school route...DON"T go to the Caribbean route. Just google articles about Ross, St. James, AUC etc in NY Times, WSJ etc and read up on the percentage of students who never finish and end up with massive debt. Those who do finish have trouble getting residencies, trouble passing boards etc. and find themselves working as EMTs and/or other health related jobs & not able to pay back their debt. It's very tragic. Those schools should be closed.
It's hard enough to get a good residency & match for MD and DO's with increasing numbers of new allopathic and osteopathic schools opening up and increasing number of seats opening at existing schools, but no appreciable increase in # of residency spots. It's going to be impossible for graduates of offshore schools to match.
With a 35 MCAT you are clearly smart. Do a post bac, ace it, have a good explanation for your previous difficulties & you could get an acceptance.

As someone who comes from a family with tons of doctors who know tons of med students (and knows a few people who have done the overseas med school route...DON"T go to the Caribbean route. Just google articles about Ross, St. James, AUC etc in NY Times, WSJ etc and read up on the percentage of students who never finish and end up with massive debt. Those who do finish have trouble getting residencies, trouble passing boards etc. and find themselves working as EMTs and/or other health related jobs & not able to pay back their debt. It's very tragic. Those schools should be closed.
It's hard enough to get a good residency & match for MD and DO's with increasing numbers of new allopathic and osteopathic schools opening up and increasing number of seats opening at existing schools, but no appreciable increase in # of residency spots. It's going to be impossible for graduates of offshore schools to match.
With a 35 MCAT you are clearly smart. Do a post bac, ace it, have a good explanation for your previous difficulties & you could get an acceptance.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I didn't have to do the post bacc after all but I figured I would have to. I have around 171 credits and if I take 5 credits I will get bumped up to a 3.1. I will have to take around 50 to get it up to a solid 3.2 and around 70+ for a 3.3 (all A's) Is there a huge difference between a 3.1/35 and a 3.2/35? I know the 3.3 would be great but that's another two years of courses to take.

FWIW, I think it would be a mistake to apply to Texas schools only. Generally when borderline applicants (even ones with stronger apps than you) can't get in, it's because they didn't apply broadly enough or had a red flag on their application. Don't make the mistake of being too narrow geographically, unless that is more important to you than medical school (weigh your priorities carefully, which is understandable as you have a child). Whether or not you do a post-bacc, I would apply as broadly as possible. The time spent on the extra applications will be worth it.

FWIW, I think it would be a mistake to apply to Texas schools only. Generally when borderline applicants (even ones with stronger apps than you) can't get in, it's because they didn't apply broadly enough or had a red flag on their application. Don't make the mistake of being too narrow geographically, unless that is more important to you than medical school (weigh your priorities carefully, which is understandable as you have a child). Whether or not you do a post-bacc, I would apply as broadly as possible. The time spent on the extra applications will be worth it.
Yes, I agree. I was planning on applying to a few other schools like Drexel and all HBCU's.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I didn't have to do the post bacc after all but I figured I would have to. I have around 171 credits and if I take 5 credits I will get bumped up to a 3.1. I will have to take around 50 to get it up to a solid 3.2 and around 70+ for a 3.3 (all A's) Is there a huge difference between a 3.1/35 and a 3.2/35? I know the 3.3 would be great but that's another two years of courses to take.
Every little bit counts. Why not complete that first semester post bac, apply broadly, and early (get your primary ready to go 1st day it opens in June, get your secondaries pre-written based on previous years...which is always a good bet) making sure you apply to schools in your range. Submit any grades as soon as your get them. Submit additional letters from your post bac profs. Tell a compelling story in your application to explain away your earlier grades. Then (if you can) continue onto your second semester post bac, sending updates on courses and grades as you receive them. If you are lucky enough to interview early, your might have an acceptance by October or November 2015, and will be able to get a job (rather than continue the post bac courses) until Med school enrollment. If you don't have any acceptances by Jan. 2015, submit your grades and keep on with the post bac. If you don't get in during your first cycle, start your second year post bac, again, if possible, again applying as early as possible during your second cycle.
By the way...about overseas schools:
This from NY Times August 2014
"This year only 53 percent of United States citizens who attended foreign medical schools (most of them in the Caribbean) were placed through the National Resident Matching Program, compared with 94 percent of students from U.S. schools.....For those who do not obtain residencies, the economic consequences can be devastating. Caribbean students are typically saddled with higher debt than medical students in the United States, in part because tuition is generally higher..... Average federal loan debt in 2012 was $220,000 for St. George’s students, $191,500 for Ross’s and $234,600 for American University’s, according to the Education Department. .
This from the Wall Street Journal: "At the current expansion rate, graduates from U.S. medical and osteopathic schools alone will exceed the number of expected residencies by the end of the decade, the Association of American Medical Colleges predicts. Residency applicants from foreign schools are likely to be squeezed out, medical educators say"

Good Luck!!! I am sure you will be successful if you can get those grades!

Last edited:
If you applied to every DO school as is I would be surprised if you didn't get in somewhere. If you retook some classes you would very likely get in somewhere. MD might be tough, I think you would basically be banking on selling them a very convincing story of why circumstance gave you <3.0 and even then I'm not really sure it would work. .

If you applied to every DO school as is I would be surprised if you didn't get in somewhere. If you retook some classes you would very likely get in somewhere. MD might be tough, I think you would basically be banking on selling them a very convincing story of why circumstance gave you <3.0 and even then I'm not really sure it would work. .
As stated above I recalculated my gpa..come to think about it this may only be for texas schools :( It will be a 3.1 sgpa/cgpa when I apply. Would this make any difference?