Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caysaene

Curious
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have sophomore standing at a community college right now - I have about 90 quarter credits, which translates to about 60 semester credits. A few events in the past few weeks have started to lead me to medical school potentially in the future. However...my cumulative GPA is 3.01 WITH repeated classes. I have no idea what my sGPA is, to be honest - probably not very pretty. I would like to go to an allopathic med school if at all possible, someday in the future.

My current plans are to get my ADN in nursing (duh) and work to support myself. Yeah, it's not typical, but my family life is hell and I need to get out of here/there and be dependent on myself sometime ASAP. Nursing is the quickest way to do that. Afterwards...I plan to get my bachelor's in something while completing pre-med requirements. I'm in Washington, so the only med school is UW. I admit I'm a bit clueless about all of this, so I just wanted to ask...

With a cGPA of barely 3.0 (2.94 w/o repeats), and a dismal science GPA (2.7, but As in my last five science/math classes), is there any hope for me to ever be able to get into an allopathic medschool? I plan to start volunteering 8hrs a week at two different places (hospital and another) and potentially may pick up a per-diem job as a CNA. I also plan to shadow a physician...what other kinds of "ECs" should I be looking for if this goes through at all?

Thanks all of you in advance, and I apologize for my cluelessness. I am currently working my way through a copy of "Med School Confidential", which has helped quite a bit - among surfing these forums.

Members don't see this ad.

60 credits of 4.0 for a 3.5 after 60 at 3.0.
Assuming 30 at 2.7 for sci, you need 48 at 4.0 for a 3.5.

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

Assuming 3 yrs of As, 3 yrs of volunteering (med / non med), 3 yrs of work exp in nursing/CNA, some shadowing, a decent MCAT, :thumbup:

Also. I know it looks insurmountable. It's not.

Finish your AA. Get Pells, Staffords, whatever. try for independent status if you're not old enough to get it by age.

Last edited:
You almost defintiely have to get both GPA's above 3.0, that is usually the bare minimum, but the higher the better. Your nursing experience will help you out a lot. If you get interviews you will be able to explain what happened with your grades (however, if your GPA is too low, you may get cut by a computerized screening process before humans eyes ever see your application and all of the other things you have done).

Also, with a below average GPA, you need to consider applying to a lot of places, 20-30 wouldn't be unreasonable. Also research osteopathic schools. In general, only 60% of people who apply to medical school get in, so either way there is risk involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, I've been pulling 3.3s and up (typically a 3.5) the last four quarters. It's just not enough to quite undo the damage done. I'm also currently at a community college - I don't plan to start my pre-reqs until I go to a four-year university, so it will be a bit. I just wanted to make sure that even thinking of med school would be a lost cause.

...can anyone tell me what type of ECs I should be looking for? I'm not exactly sure...

...can anyone tell me what type of ECs I should be looking for? I'm not exactly sure...
non med volunteering
clinical exp (vol or paid)
shadowing
research if you like it
something that makes you go :D when you think about it

You need to get the GPA up....

Working on it. :oops: I know it sucks - I had two years of college during high school where my mentality was C gets me my diploma. Therefore, my cGPA /sucks/. :scared: Right now it's not being helped [due to personal issues]. I'm hoping to pull a 3.8 this quarter or higher, though since it's at a CC it probably won't count as much...

Last edited:
Working on it. :oops: I know it sucks - I had two years of college during high school where my mentality was C gets me my diploma. Therefore, my cGPA /sucks/. :scared: I'm hoping to pull a 3.8 this quarter or higher, though since it's at a CC it probably won't count as much...

Sorry guys! Didn't realize I had posted in my sister's account.

Last edited:
Dude. Go back in to those posts, delete the text, stick smileys in or something. That does not need to be public.