Should I even consider being a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thing122004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I am wondering if I am too late to the game to become a Doctor. I am considered a junior at my university, but I have at least 2.5 years to go due to some poor decisions. My GPA is pretty bad at the moment but with the classes I have left I feel confident I can raise it to at least 3.4 and I haven't taken the MCAT but I hope to do well. I don't have any EC's under my belt but at my work I hold a leadership position. My question is would it even be possible to make it into medical school so late in the game? I do have a full-time job that requires a lot of meetings but it helps my leadership experience but I may not have the time for as much EC's, should I step down from my position and work part-time to focus more on EC's? I am not sure what the best route I should take, any advise is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all I am wondering if I am too late to the game to become a Doctor. I am considered a junior at my university, but I have at least 2.5 years to go due to some poor decisions. My GPA is pretty bad at the moment but with the classes I have left I feel confident I can raise it to at least 3.4 and I haven't taken the MCAT but I hope to do well. I don't have any EC's under my belt but at my work I hold a leadership position. My question is would it even be possible to make it into medical school so late in the game? I do have a full-time job that requires a lot of meetings but it helps my leadership experience but I may not have the time for as much EC's, should I step down from my position and work part-time to focus more on EC's? I am not sure what the best route I should take, any advise is appreciated.

You know there is an entire forum on this site for people who apply to medical school after they graduate college, some 10-20 years after. So no, you aren't too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty much in your position word for word. Except I don't work atm. But I was one semester away from graduating before i said "screw it" and began taking the pre med reqs. Haven't looked back since.

Go for it.

you'd have to take gap years after college to be competitive since you basically haven't done anything right now. As long as you're willing to wait to pursue medicine, nothing is too late