Should I get a letter of recommendation from this professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spade92

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did Professor B think you were cheating, or were you actually cheating? Because you make it sound like you were actually cheating.

Reactions: 1 user
Did Professor B think you were cheating, or were you actually cheating? Because you make it sound like you were actually cheating.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically, if your professor likes you, he/she would probably not agree to spend time writing a letter only to write you a bad one (although I'm sure it happens from time to time). That being said, if I were in your shoes, I would arrange a meeting with your letter writer and explain your uneasiness with the situation with an emphasis as to whether or not the letter will be a positive indicator of your fitness to be a physician. If you get an odd answer, you're probably better off not getting a letter from that professor. Tricky situation, and I'm sorry you're stuck in it.

Crap ugh now I'll be struggling to find letter writers.

Don't feel discouraged just yet spade92. Do yourself a favor and sit down with your letter writer to explain the situation. It may all work out in the end. All I'm saying is don't sabotage the rest of what could potentially be a solid application with what may or may not be a bad letter. You do not know what is in the letter; all you have is reasonable suspicion that it may hurt you. Therefore, do not ask what is SPECIFICALLY in the letter by any means, just ask if it will be used to positively contribute to your medical school application. This should be standard etiquette for asking for LORs anyways because it allows you to gauge whether or not these professors will actually be advocating for you. You can typically tell in the professor's demeanor whether or not it's worth pursuing a letter from him or her. Good luck :)

I just don't want to bring up the situation with Professor B if they don't actually know about it.

I've never been so bad at telling if a professor likes me or not.

What is the chance of them including questionable ethical behavior even if they agree to write a positive behavior?

I just find it even more difficult because this is not behavior he observed directly but rather heard from a different source.

As professors/faculty, would you ever mention actions you heard from other faculty if it is not behavior you observed directly? Especially if you had a good relationship with the student. @Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn @LizzyM

Respectfully, I wouldn't ask for what is "traditionally" discussed by faculty because I don't think it will be any help for you at the end of the day. Long story short, your teacher MAY or MAY NOT have discussed this with the other faculty member. If you don't end up finding out for yourself, you will be rolling the dice with your application. If you're trying to put your best foot forward, please don't do that to yourself.

Regardless of what I did, he believed I did. And so his opinion of me is probably very low.
Yup, I don't doubt it. Might want to just ask. If Professor A says anything about this in his LOR you are done. It sucks, but if you really did cheat then you just have to accept the consequences (which are very light considering that you were never reported.)