Should I get a PhD in Counseling or Clinical Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP0316

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused even what the real difference is between the two! I know I want to work in a private practice talking to patients and I'm not that much into research... more applied professional training. Could anyone help me? I want to learn about all the different disorders someone could have... not so much just specializing in one specific area. But maybe once I keep learning I'll have a better grasp on what exactly I specifically want to do?

Thanks for any input. :) I'm currently a sophomore in the undergrad level and just trying to get an idea of what I want to be doing in the grad level.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do research, you shouldn't apply to doctoral programs. Similarly, if all you want to do is private practice and to be a generalist, there isn't any benefit to getting a doctoral degree over a Master's. It sounds like you need to do more research into what doctoral training really entails. Search the forums - this kind of question seems to have come up a lot recently.

+1. Sounds like a master's in counseling psych or clinical social work would be your best bet given your interests and career goals. May want to look in the forum just above this one for more information on those degrees.