Should I get the MPH now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

boo-yeh

I decided a while back that I would take a year off before applying to med school (for various reasons...would take too long to list here). I was pretty sure that I would apply for the joint MD/MPH program whereve I went because I'm about 100% sure that public health as a doctor will be my future.

After talking to my premed advisor, it was recommended that I take additional science classes during my year off to pull my science GPA up (you can take a gander in my mdapps). So in my year off, if I decided to just go ahead and do one of these one-year MPH programs, do you think that would be a good idea? Would it look good to get the degree now, or would you think that med schools will wish that I had gotten it along with the MD at their institutions? Will the classes count toward the BCPM gpa? Again, I do not think that it would be a waste of a year since I would have done that anyway, but I just want a little feedback.

Thanks for any advice you can give. SDN has been good to me.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know about MPH classes and your amcas GPA, but I do know that I'm trying to do combined MD/MPH now (4 yr program at nymc) and its tricky, and I really wish I had this summer off to travel or do something fun, but I'll just be taking MPH classes...

i wish i had done an MPH b4 starting med school...the only advantage of doing it simultaneous is that maybe its cheaper...

As far as improving your BCPM GPA it probably won't have an impact, only UG courses count towards this GPA and classes taken for a masters would be factored into a completely seperate graduate GPA classification. Schools do there screening and most of their decision making based on your UG GPA so it might be advisable to take some additional UG courses if you go ahead and get your MPH in the year off, which isn't too bad an idea if you ask me, but just depends on what you are looking to get out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could do both. I think the MPH is compelling since you have a sincere interest in it, but that doesn't come out as much until the interview process. I think not taking a few science courses is kind of a gamble...I have a slightly higher GPA but I've only interviewed at one school so far this year so I'm not sure the MPH helps that much in terms of getting interviews.

i was able to take non-degree science courses outside the school of public health while i was earning my mph. i'm not sure how the md/mph thing usually works, but i can imagine it'd be difficult to do at some place like michigan, whse MPH programs include a field work requirement (v. common).

Hmmm thanks for the discussion and advice. I go to a very demanding undergrad school for premeds and my GPA reflects that a little bit. The place where I am considering getting my MPH next year seems the perfect fit for me for two reasons (considering I do this now): 1) it's emphasis on rural and impoverished areas' health (which I am really interested in) and 2) it's supposed to be rather easy. Let's say, hypothetically, I rocked the classes. I know that med schools look at your grades in master's programs, so knowing that is it a stretch to say that that would help me make up for my slightly below-average GPA?

Sorry for all the questions guys. My parents and advisors are getting all of these too.

I decided a while back that I would take a year off before applying to med school (for various reasons...would take too long to list here). I was pretty sure that I would apply for the joint MD/MPH program whereve I went because I'm about 100% sure that public health as a doctor will be my future.

After talking to my premed advisor, it was recommended that I take additional science classes during my year off to pull my science GPA up (you can take a gander in my mdapps). So in my year off, if I decided to just go ahead and do one of these one-year MPH programs, do you think that would be a good idea? Would it look good to get the degree now, or would you think that med schools will wish that I had gotten it along with the MD at their institutions? Will the classes count toward the BCPM gpa? Again, I do not think that it would be a waste of a year since I would have done that anyway, but I just want a little feedback.

The 4 year MD/MPH at NYMC sounds like it would be difficult...one thing to think about is that it is often a lot easier to get an MPH after getting an MD for example schools like Harvard and John's Hopkins have a one year MPH program for health professionals...also there are many fellowship programs that will pay for your MPH...Good luck with everything

Which schools have a one year MPH? The schools I have looked at are all one and a half to two years.

i was told by a very reliable pre-med advisor (who is also an MD/MPH) that it is a VERY bad idea to get an MPH to improve your chances of getting into medical school. for one, MPH classes aren't really hard (hard as is bio/chem type, not hard as in tough)sciences classes that will show the med schools that you can handle their tough curriculum. secondly, the advisor told me that med schools will care a lot less about rejecting you if you have a degree in another field that can get you a job.
your bcpm and overall gpa aren't that low. i would suggest smp where you take the medical school courses (georgetown SMP, drexel IMS, etc).

^ my thoughts exactly.

The accrediting body for MPH degrees is about to increase the requirements for the degree so it may be come very difficult for non-physicians to get an MPH anywhere in less than 2 years.

The MD/MPH is almost always cheaper than MPH first & then MD. Cheapest is doing a residency or fellowship that covers the MPH tuition.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been thinking about a program like Georgetown's SMP, but I really don't know much about them. Where do you find info on programs like that? Thanks so much.