Should I give up on applying to pharmacy school or is there still hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astropeak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year junior status undergrad majoring in Biochemistry. My last semester was terrible as it brought my GPA from a 2.8 to 2.3 This semester I got two B's and a D on my upper division cell bio class. A big blow!

My current GPA is 2.3. I talked to my counselors and they advised me to take an easier major so I can boost my gpa at least to 2.5. They also recommended that I take 2 years post baccalaureate to take the pre-pharm courses I didn't take in my undergrad years and retake the classes I had bad grades in.

I'm planning on taking 2 summer classes this summer. Intro physics and Lower division Chem 102(got an F so its a retake).

My counselor recommends that I switch my major so I can quickly finish under two years such as psychology or journalism major. After I'm done with them I can go 2 more years in post. bach.

I have no pharmacy experience whatsoever. I've tried applying to a hospital nearby but they closed the volunteer program and our school hospital is hard to get accepted for volunteer positions so I don't even bother trying to apply there.

I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I know I'm supposed to do very good at it. But I don't know when I should take it? Should I take it in my undergrad years or while I'm in post bach?

Do pharmacy schools look at your post bach GPA, your undergrad GPA or both? Which do they focus more on?

I'm thinking if I switch my major to journalism, I wouldn't struggle so much and my grades could lift my damaged gpa at least to a 2.5 or 2.6 and I will do my best in post. bach to get a high GPA.

I need a strategy on how to go about this? What would you do if you were me?

I really don't want to give up on pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no pharmacy experience whatsoever. I've tried applying to a hospital nearby but they closed the volunteer program and our school hospital is hard to get accepted for volunteer positions so I don't even bother trying to apply there.

Why are you so certain this is the profession for you if you haven't seen the inside of one? I would strongly recommend you do that.

Getting into pharmacy school is hard, are you even going to bother applying?

I'm a 4th year junior status undergrad majoring in Biochemistry. My last semester was terrible as it brought my GPA from a 2.8 to 2.3 This semester I got two B's and a D on my upper division cell bio class. A big blow!

My current GPA is 2.3. I talked to my counselors and they advised me to take an easier major so I can boost my gpa at least to 2.5. They also recommended that I take 2 years post baccalaureate to take the pre-pharm courses I didn't take in my undergrad years and retake the classes I had bad grades in.

I'm planning on taking 2 summer classes this summer. Intro physics and Lower division Chem 102(got an F so its a retake).

My counselor recommends that I switch my major so I can quickly finish under two years such as psychology or journalism major. After I'm done with them I can go 2 more years in post. bach.

I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I know I'm supposed to do very good at it. But I don't know when I should take it? Should I take it in my undergrad years or while I'm in post bach?

Do pharmacy schools look at your post bach GPA, your undergrad GPA or both? Which do they focus more on?

I'm thinking if I switch my major to journalism, I wouldn't struggle so much and my grades could lift my damaged gpa at least to a 2.5 or 2.6 and I will do my best in post. bach to get a high GPA.

I need a strategy on how to go about this? What would you do if you were me?

Biochemistry is not easy to start with so you should be putting your best effort to get good grades right now. I think you have to look at your study habits and revaluate your priorities. Getting into pharmacy school requires alot of work and if you are not willing to put in the time, then maybe its time to reconsider. I dont believe in giving up, but nobody can make that decision for you except yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochemistry is not easy to start with so you should be putting your best effort to get good grades right now. I think you have to look at your study habits and revaluate your priorities. Getting into pharmacy school requires alot of work and if you are not willing to put in the time, then maybe its time to reconsider. I dont believe in giving up, but nobody can make that decision for you except yourself.

I am trying to do my very best and I still get bad grades. I go to tutoring and study pretty good but I guess I'll have to study even more. It breaks my spirit and will when I try my hardest and still fail or come short but for some reason I don't feel like giving up. I feel as if this is what I want to do.

My question is, is there still a chance of pharmacy schools accepting me if I graduate with a journalism major, go to post bach. and get good grades on the courses I failed and got D's on, get over 80% on the PCAT, work in a local pharmacy...will it be enough?

Why are you so certain this is the profession for you if you haven't seen the inside of one? I would strongly recommend you do that.

Getting into pharmacy school is hard, are you even going to bother applying?

Well I haven't seen the inside of one. However, I have done my research, attended seminars and talked to people that worked in the field. I have an idea of what I'll be doing once I get there and I will have a better understanding of the field once I get a first hand experience when I volunteer.

I know it'll be hard to get into pharmacy school and I'm definitely sure I won't get accepted. But for some reason, I still feel that there's a possibility of getting accepted. I maybe stupid to try but I'm willing to take my chances.

why dont you try being a pharmacy technician first , this way you can get a good picture of what the field will be like, and you will get good practice with the drug knowledge, but also work with other pharmacists and they can help you with a lot of your questions. Also if you work and go to school on the side, it will be Very hard to manage time for studying, It was hard for me. If you can take intro science classes instead of jumping too quick into harder courses, it will be less overwhelming, I took intro biology class twice and did a lot better second time around, and then it just all clicked from there. Your grades are also based on the professors you choose, try going to ratemyprofessor.com and read other reviews on the teachers in your school, some teachers may explain concepts better than others, and they may have grading system that will help boost your final grade. If your sciences are poor it will be very hard to take the PCAT since a lot of it will be based on what you have learned in pre-pharmacy courses. I am still in the process right now finishing my pre-pharmacy courses, I went from C's and D's to A's and B's after quitting my full time job as a pharmacy technician, and devoted all my time everyday to studying 8 hours a day. The things I have suggested is how it have worked for me to improve. If you want it bad enough you will make it. Hope this will help.

If you are going into pharmacy b/c you think it will provide job security and easy money, then you need to look into the huge SURPLUS thread on here.

The job market for pharmacy is VERY BAD. There are no guarantees and you might not be able to find a job after you graduate and it really is NOT easy money either.

So if you are only doing this for the job security and easy money, then please think again. Or better go read that pharmacy surplus thread. it will open your eyes.

My friend has a jouranlism degree and now she is a news reporter...sometimes she is on TV. I think that would be a much better job to look into. Good luck!

I am trying to do my very best and I still get bad grades. I go to tutoring and study pretty good but I guess I'll have to study even more. It breaks my spirit and will when I try my hardest and still fail or come short but for some reason I don't feel like giving up. I feel as if this is what I want to do.

My question is, is there still a chance of pharmacy schools accepting me if I graduate with a journalism major, go to post bach. and get good grades on the courses I failed and got D's on, get over 80% on the PCAT, work in a local pharmacy...will it be enough?

I think that you need to decide how much is enough. In other words you need to think about if you are willing to put in a lot of hard work at this point or not. If you know deep down that pharmacy is the place for you, then you are going to have to put in a lot of hard work to prove that with your record.

First you need to find out why the bad grades. Is it stress, personal issues, financial issues, learning disability? Then do the post bac classes, the pharmacy experience, and the PCAT.

You are going to run into a lot of haters that say you can't do it or it's going to be really hard. Believe me, I'm in a similar situation as you as far as grades in my undergrad. I finished with a 2.75 and I even had a pharm school tell me that I would never be a pharmacist. But I've been putting in a lot of hard work conquering my learning disability & test anxiety and now I'm ready to apply again. So I think you need to decide if pharmacy it worth all the blood, sweat, tears, time, and money.

Good Luck :xf:

If you are going into pharmacy b/c you think it will provide job security and easy money, then you need to look into the huge SURPLUS thread on here.

The job market for pharmacy is VERY BAD. There are no guarantees and you might not be able to find a job after you graduate and it really is NOT easy money either.

So if you are only doing this for the job security and easy money, then please think again. Or better go read that pharmacy surplus thread. it will open your eyes.

My friend has a jouranlism degree and now she is a news reporter...sometimes she is on TV. I think that would be a much better job to look into. Good luck!

Take our advice from current pharmacy students and practicing pharmacists. We speak the truth. :thumbup:

I think that you need to decide how much is enough. In other words you need to think about if you are willing to put in a lot of hard work at this point or not. If you know deep down that pharmacy is the place for you, then you are going to have to put in a lot of hard work to prove that with your record.

First you need to find out why the bad grades. Is it stress, personal issues, financial issues, learning disability? Then do the post bac classes, the pharmacy experience, and the PCAT.

You are going to run into a lot of haters that say you can't do it or it's going to be really hard. Believe me, I'm in a similar situation as you as far as grades in my undergrad. I finished with a 2.75 and I even had a pharm school tell me that I would never be a pharmacist. But I've been putting in a lot of hard work conquering my learning disability & test anxiety and now I'm ready to apply again. So I think you need to decide if pharmacy it worth all the blood, sweat, tears, time, and money.

Good Luck :xf:

Well I did put in a lot of work and study this year especially for my bio, chem and math classes and still got bad grades in all of them. At this point of my life, I'm pretty much discouraged. A combination of text anxiety, bad luck, teachers, family, money & personal problems just pretty much surrounded me this whole year.

I remember I was so pissed and frustrated I punched my kitchen wall so hard that I cut my hands pretty bad and not to mention left a big hole which I had to later pay for. I'm usually a calm person but I think this major might just drive me crazy.

I usually don't change my mind just because I had a terrible year but this time it feels like the universe is telling me to change my major.

I wanted to help people not just by the knowledge I gain through school but also by the money I would've made from pharmacy. I think I'll pursue another dream and help people another way I could.

Good Luck to you! :)

Yea I knew the job market for pharmacy wasn't looking good and that it was hard to find a job with it after graduation but then again that's how it is for almost all majors.

Frankly speaking I was never in it for the money(although it would be a plus). I actually wanted to use all the knowledge I gain from pharmacy school so I can go back to my homeland, open up a pharmacy store and help my fellow people with illness.

I guess I won't be doing that though because pharmacy is probably not my cup of tea. I'll have to help people in another way I could. :)

why dont you try being a pharmacy technician first , this way you can get a good picture of what the field will be like, and you will get good practice with the drug knowledge, but also work with other pharmacists and they can help you with a lot of your questions. Also if you work and go to school on the side, it will be Very hard to manage time for studying, It was hard for me. If you can take intro science classes instead of jumping too quick into harder courses, it will be less overwhelming, I took intro biology class twice and did a lot better second time around, and then it just all clicked from there. Your grades are also based on the professors you choose, try going to ratemyprofessor.com and read other reviews on the teachers in your school, some teachers may explain concepts better than others, and they may have grading system that will help boost your final grade. If your sciences are poor it will be very hard to take the PCAT since a lot of it will be based on what you have learned in pre-pharmacy courses. I am still in the process right now finishing my pre-pharmacy courses, I went from C's and D's to A's and B's after quitting my full time job as a pharmacy technician, and devoted all my time everyday to studying 8 hours a day. The things I have suggested is how it have worked for me to improve. If you want it bad enough you will make it. Hope this will help.

Great advice. I've actually done pretty much all you have said including the ratemyprofessors.com. The thing is my science is solid. I know the material in and out, but when it comes to tests I can't perform because how some teachers word the questions, give limited time and their ridiculous syllabus.

I've come to realize that maybe I'm not supposed to be a pharmacist after all.

I actually talked to my counselor the other day and I decided that I major in art(since I'm pretty good at it) and she suggested that I can put all the bio and chem courses into a biology minor. I can use my minor to land a teaching job in a high school just in case I don't get a job with the art major.

I'm feeling very optimistic about it. :D
Good Luck in your goals.

I'd recommend a post-bac program if you were going for medical school, but its a waste for pharmacy. Just retake most of the pre-req classes either at university or community college and do well on the PCAT. You might end up at a newer school, but at least you didnt spend $20k+ on a post-bac program.

I'd recommend a post-bac program if you were going for medical school, but its a waste for pharmacy. Just retake most of the pre-req classes either at university or community college and do well on the PCAT. You might end up at a newer school, but at least you didnt spend $20k+ on a post-bac program.

A Master's degree/program would be better, IMHO. It will provide more opportunities to get into that school of your choice and/or improved career prospects (even if you do not want to pursue pharmacy school again). Either a M.S. or MPH would do the trick... that is, if you wanted to still stay in a science-related field or in healthcare.