Should I go ahead and go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeterz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into two optometry schools out of state. However I didn't get into my instate school which will be half the price of the other two schools? I'll be saving $60,000 at the end of four years if I go to the instate school. Should I still go attend optometry school or should I wait a year and reapply to my instate school. They said I didn't get into my instate school, because I applied late...early DECEMBER that is..

The instate school is UAB
The school I got admitted to is Nova..and ICO

Members don't see this ad.

UmmmMMmm....

$100,000 is a lot of money. And given that you take an extra year off, you could probably be working too and generating income ($30,000 maybe?)... :cool:

Strictly financially speaking, waiting a year to go to the school in Alabama is probably the best, given that you are positive you can get in next year. This is probably oversimplifying things, but do you think you can make $130,000 the first year out of optometry school? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeterz said:
I got into two optometry schools out of state. However I didn't get into my instate school which will be half the price of the other two schools? I'll be saving $60,000 at the end of four years if I go to the instate school. Should I still go attend optometry school or should I wait a year and reapply to my instate school. They said I didn't get into my instate school, because I applied late...early DECEMBER that is..

The instate school is UAB
The school I got admitted to is Nova..and ICO

Well I guess it also depends on how confident you think you'll get into your instate school (UAB) next year.

If I where you Id probably go, but then agian I pay international tution everywhere. Look to see if your school accepts transfer students, and if you really want attend either ICO or NOVA for the first year and see if you can transfer into UAB. If not, then maybe try agian next year for UAB and do whatever it is they told you to strengthen your application.

You could take the year off, but if you don't get in next year, it will be more difficult for you to convince ICO or Nova they should take later. They will know you would be only going there b/c they were your backup.

If I were you, I would go to UAB and meet with the admission person and the dean if you could and make sure...absolutely positively...that you can get in next year.

Personally, I would probably just go to ICO or Nova.

How about defer a year and put in a deposit for one of those two schools so you at least have somewhere to go next year...