Should I go for a BS in Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRedDoll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in College and I don't know which degree I should choose :/
I'm still debating on whether I should be a PA or a PT....
Right now, I'm leaning more towards a PA.
I was 99% sure I wanted to be a PT since high school, but after seeing a PT in action, I feel like maybe PT is not for me....
A professor of mine had previously suggested being a PA but I got scared after seeing how many patient care hours they need... However, after finally doing some research, I've come to realize it isn't that much for what the job is. I think this might be the career for me.
So this is my plan:
Graduate with a BS in Biology
Go into a medical assistant program (takes about 9 months to 12 months to complete) and get a certificate.
Get a job as a Certified Medical Assistant so I can get my hours of PC
Go into a PA program
Complete Residency
Become a PA

Does this sound okay? I'm getting kind of scared because I keep hearing how "worthless" a BS in Biology is... Could this be the case for me? I feel like this would be putting my degree in use since I am going into a medical program.

Members don't see this ad.

No, the idea that a BS in Biology is worthless more applies to people looking into getting jobs in the field right after graduation. If you are thinking more along the lines of graduate/professional school, which you are, you're golden.

I have heard countless good reviews about the PA career path. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a sophomore in College and I don't know which degree I should choose :/
I'm still debating on whether I should be a PA or a PT....
Right now, I'm leaning more towards a PA.
I was 99% sure I wanted to be a PT since high school, but after seeing a PT in action, I feel like maybe PT is not for me....
A professor of mine had previously suggested being a PA but I got scared after seeing how many patient care hours they need... However, after finally doing some research, I've come to realize it isn't that much for what the job is. I think this might be the career for me.
So this is my plan:
Graduate with a BS in Biology
Go into a medical assistant program (takes about 9 months to 12 months to complete) and get a certificate.
Get a job as a Certified Medical Assistant so I can get my hours of PC
Go into a PA program
Complete Residency
Become a PA

Does this sound okay? I'm getting kind of scared because I keep hearing how "worthless" a BS in Biology is... Could this be the case for me? I feel like this would be putting my degree in use since I am going into a medical program.
Becoming a PA is a fine plan. SDN has a subforum for physician extenders that you might check out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/clinicians-rn-np-pa.113/

No, the idea that a BS in Biology is worthless more applies to people looking into getting jobs in the field right after graduation. If you are thinking more along the lines of graduate/professional school, which you are, you're golden.
Yay thank you! I was so scared !

Becoming a PA is a fine plan. SDN has a subforum for physician extenders that you might check out.
Thank you! I just created my account so I have no idea what some of these abbreviations stand for and what goes where. I will look around the forum so I can become more familiarized with it.