Should i go for dentistry ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freedom144

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate going to a dentist it's basically a nightmare for me.
The most painful experience i have ever had was at the dentist.
That drill sound makes me nervous.

I am planning to study dentistry it's just that iam afraid i couldn't bare the drill sound.
I love that hand skill part ,but that sound makes me feel teeth ache
Iam planning to go for orthodontix since it have less drilling in teeth

So what do you think guys ?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a few people i met who went into dental anesthesiology because they had awful experiences at dentist when they were younger...yours is border PTSD though...spend some time shadowing GPs to see if you can handle the noise with out viet nam flash backs

Also...do not go into dentistry if you would hate to be a GP...too much of a risk

Reactions: 1 users

I am planning to study dentistry it's just that iam afraid i couldn't bare the drill sound.

Being afraid, don't worry. Medical science improving technical skill to overcome the pain during treatment. Now more dentist understand patients fear. So they also enhance their kindness to stress free treatment. So Don't tensed & get appointment to a good dentist.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Wow. I can't believe people fell for it.

Your first post....really????

Let's address your trepidation sentence by sentence:

-Maybe you should see a different dentist?
-Um, did he/she use an anesthetic?
-Join the club.
-http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=1012817&langid=-1&cid=PS:GooglePLAs:1012817&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1012817&KPID=1012817

-That hand skill part is pretty cool. Sorry it makes you teeth ache. See the previous post.

-Maybe you should specialize in Orthodonticksx. Then you woodn't have to hear so much drill. Actually, you wudn't have to here any drill. Wait. Orethudontix duzn't have any dril. It have no drill. Wayt. Wut? I think ewe will are OK.

Did eye answer yor qwestun?

gewd luk.

By the way,
I found uwife:

good-luck-troll-dolls-movie-film.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. I can't believe people fell for it.

Your first post....really????

Let's address your trepidation sentence by sentence:

-Maybe you should see a different dentist?
-Um, did he/she use an anesthetic?
-Join the club.
-http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=1012817&langid=-1&cid=PS:GooglePLAs:1012817&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1012817&KPID=1012817

-That hand skill part is pretty cool. Sorry it makes you teeth ache. See the previous post.

-Maybe you should specialize in Orthodonticksx. Then you woodn't have to hear so much drill. Actually, you wudn't have to here any drill. Wait. Orethudontix duzn't have any dril. It have no drill. Wayt. Wut? I think ewe will are OK.

Did eye answer yor qwestun?

gewd luk.

By the way,
I found uwife:

good-luck-troll-dolls-movie-film.jpg
Iam not trolling lol i just wanted to see what do dentistry students thinks about these things and if it causes for them any problems ...

If you are nervous around a drill, then you should not become a dentist. To be a dentist you need to love drill, you need to love to drill. Corpses, spit, vomit, smell, pus and blood are just a few things you need to be able to tolerate

Reactions: 1 user
Do what you love an never work a day in your life. I literally just posted that on twitter.

This is a difficult question because honestly not everyone is cut out for the dental field. When I first began shadowing I started to notices every little wince a patient would make and every loud obnoxious noise. Now that I am in school and in full control of all the instruments I feel much more comfortable and the noise from the drill is the least of my concern. You tune that out pretty quickly, basically it becomes familiar.