Should I go for my doctorate now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolbanana

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to get my PhD in School Psychology, but I have a few issues I need to think about:

First of all, I am in my 30's and I've never had a salaried job. I've worked, sure, but the closest I have is a substitute teacher for 2.5 years.
Second, I am getting my masters in social work. I want to be a school social worker, but in my state those jobs are hard to find. I also want to do mental health.
Finally, I want to get my doctorate in school psychology. I'm considering doing it right after I graduate from my masters for several reasons:
1. I need a reference from a professor and they may not remember me if I wait 2 years to go.
2. I really want to do clinical stuff, not the usual social work stuff like case management.
3. My parents are about to turn 70 and I want to get my doc before they die.

If I don't go and work instead, I'll work for two years and then go for my doctorate. So, if you want to do therapy, stick with the social work degree.

Should I go or should I wait it out and get some job experience?

Social workers do therapy. School psychologist do lots of assessments and very little therapy.

Reactions: 1 user
Social workers do therapy. School psychologist do lots of assessments and very little therapy.
This is true about social workers, but I do have my heart set on getting my doctorate. Although I am not interested in doing a lot of assessments. I guess I will go back to the drawing board and do some more research on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to practice therapy as a clinician. I may be wrong as time goes on, but I'm feeling like social workers don't get to practice therapy all that much. Maybe this will change when I get my LCSW? Am I wrong about this?

The "clinical" in licensed clinical social worker indicates that you are providing mental health services.

The "clinical" in licensed clinical social worker indicates that you are providing mental health services.
Okay thanks. I think I will give it some more time then and think about it all before I put that much more time into my studies.

Posters who have/are working on their LCSWs have, in the past, mentioned that the amount of therapy training you receive can vary fairly substantially by program, I believe. So some folks probably come out better-trained for it than others. But yep, LCSWs most definitely provide therapy, depending on the setting.

A few suggestions:

1) why not get a phd in social work? Seems like a faster and cheaper route. One of the best couples therapists in my area is one.

2) get more training in the therapy of your preference through ce stuff. Psychoanalytic, cbt, etc institutions all offer very thorough training. Beck, Ellis, Ericsson, psychoanalytic, etc institutes all have programs for lcsws. Cheaper and tax deductible.

Reactions: 2 users
A few suggestions:

1) why not get a phd in social work? Seems like a faster and cheaper route. One of the best couples therapists in my area is one.

2) get more training in the therapy of your preference through ce stuff. Psychoanalytic, cbt, etc institutions all offer very thorough training. Beck, Ellis, Ericsson, psychoanalytic, etc institutes all have programs for lcsws. Cheaper and tax deductible.

Social work PhD is more research focused. There is really no reason to get one unless you want to do research.

Yes I plan to get some training in trauma focused CBT. Unfortunately the soonest training is all filled up. :(