Should I go for PBK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

In my college, students who met the GPA and some other requirements qualify for Phi Beta Kappa as early as the second semester of junior year. I've met all of the requirements so far, except for the language one (need one more semester of intermediate Spanish to complete).

Should I take this intermediate Spanish course this semester for the sole purpose of qualifying for PBK, or is it not worth taking the class if the only reason is to join the society? (I have no interest in taking the class otherwise)

Does PBK have any noticeable impact on adcoms, med school, residency, and/or future jobs? Or is it more similar to a frat and/or have no future impact on a member's life?

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, I didn't bother listing it on my application. Most applicants have these things as a natural consequence of the GPA needed to get into med school. It's unremarkable.

I'm not even going to mention it, it didn't change my life to be part of it.
I didn't know that there were requirements (like language) to be part of it, I thought you just needed to be in the top 10% and take tons of liberal arts classes. I speak multiple languages so I didn't take any foreign language class, that's maybe why I was qualified to be part of it.

Oh yeah, they say minimum 3.76 (I think) as a senior to be part of it but even if you have it, it doesn't mean you're gonna get in, the top 10% in my class were 3.84-4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my school, it's 3.8+ as well as foreign language through the intermediate level.

So I shouldn't go out of my way to take 1 language class just to qualify?

Having the two years of Spanish would probably do more for your app than PBK, but if you have no interest in the class, don't waste your time. That said, PBK certainly won't hurt you and I've seen some school admission websites list it as a bragging point of some of their matriculated students. Other schools don't care at all.

For what it's worth, I didn't bother listing it on my application. Most applicants have these things as a natural consequence of the GPA needed to get into med school. It's unremarkable.

The average accepted MD applicant has a GPA of a bit below 3.7. Regardless of percentile in class rank, the floor was higher than this number (at my school at least); thus, I cannot agree that "most applicants" have these things. Remember, in a bell curve/normal distribution, the median should equal the mean.

Regardless of GPA requirements, it's still fluff. Is it worth taking up 1 of the 15 work and activities on AMCAS? Probably not
The average accepted MD applicant has a GPA of a bit below 3.7. Regardless of percentile in class rank, the floor was higher than this number (at my school at least); thus, I cannot agree that "most applicants" have these things. Remember, in a bell curve/normal distribution, the median should equal the mean.

It's actually the only honor society to have any meaning in admissions, that said it's not game changing by any means. But if you've earned it, you don't have to be modest about your honors, even if the qualifications vary greatly by school. Just lump it in an entry with other awards/scholarships if you have the space.

PBK will remain on your CV forever. You aren't going to list your undergraduate GPA on it. Just do it. There are some Residency PD's who are still impressed by it.

Regardless of GPA requirements, it's still fluff. Is it worth taking up 1 of the 15 work and activities on AMCAS? Probably not
Is there not a separate section for awards?

Is there not a separate section for awards?

You have 15 spaces to list whatever you want. You may or may not list your awards, but there is not another part of the application where you would specifically include them (save for the "is there anything else you would like to add" part)

That all up to you. If you just join and do nothing much with it, then it's useless. However, if you grab a leadership positions and/or earn scholarships over there then it may be beneficial to you as long it did not affect your GPA.

That all up to you. If you just join and do nothing much with it, then it's useless. However, if you grab a leadership positions and/or earn scholarships over there then it may be beneficial to you as long it did not affect your GPA.

Just being PBK alone is recognized as an honor. Of course doing stuff through PBK and earning scholarships is beneficial, but not really necessary. It's the other honor societies like Golden Key and NSCS that are useless in applying to med school, unless you are actively participating in activities/leadership or earned a scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
Just being PBK alone is recognized as an honor. Of course doing stuff through PBK and earning scholarships is beneficial, but not really necessary. It's the other honor societies like Golden Key and NSCS that are useless in applying to med school, unless you are actively participating in activities/leadership or earned a scholarship.

Yeah, I did not realize PBK is recognized universally, but you may a good point about that. Overall, make the best out of it.

Is PBK a one-time payment, or do I need to pay every few years to stay in it?

Also, once you get accepted, if your GPA drops lower than the requirements, will they kick you out?

In my college, you need to apply to PBKif you meet the requirements and they don't invite you themselves.

Is PBK a one-time payment, or do I need to pay every few years to stay in it?

Also, once you get accepted, if your GPA drops lower than the requirements, will they kick you out?

In my college, you need to apply to PBKif you meet the requirements and they don't invite you themselves.

That's odd. PBK, nationally, is invite only, but I guess there are exceptions. You only pay once, then you're a life time member forever. They can't rescind your membership from a GPA drop.