Should I go into the military before or after Med. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My major is neuroscience. I'm in college. My dream is to be a neurosurgeon and I had never considered the military till my ex graduated from Marine boot camp. The way the Corps changed him, I admired and wanted that. I heard if you apply for the ROTC scholarship then you will likely have to do another job before they let you start Med. school. So my question is should i go to med. school then join as a military surgeon or before? Also if I join before will i do my residency in the military or at a normal hospital? What is the major differences between being a surgeon in "the real world" vs. the military?

Members don't see this ad.

@browneyes124. I am only a pre-med myself but your last two questions have been asked quite often and can be reasonably answered by looking at the stickies on this sub-forum. Definitely start with "Military Medicine: Pros, Cons, Opinions" and the "HPSP, USUHS, FAP threads". There is also an active thread about HPSP Neurosurgery right now that you should take a look at as well.

your first task as a budding neurosurgeon-- a lit search. this stuff is all answered in the forums. enjoy :)

--your friendly neighborhood teaching them to fish caveman

Reactions: 1 user